YOG - Tripod!

TroyP

Dec 23, 2008
Went to Tennis saturday afternoon, took my tripod.
I set it up without the legs extended, I only raised the height to reach my eye, so I wouldn't have to hold 2kg for the entire event.
I was approached by YOG personnel and was told "no tripods allowed during YOG events". He said only YOG photographers are allowed to use monopod, nobody else can use tripod/monopod.

I went to Diving sat night and was told the same thing....

So today, when I went to the Table Tennis, I did not waste my time taking tripod.
To my surprise, dozens of people were using tripod! :angry:

There is nothing in the T&C regarding tripod, nor are there rules for individual events.

I am so sore today, I left Table Tennis early due to muscle soreness.

perhaps you could just try to enjoy the games without shooting then? Since you are not a professional getting hampered in getting your shots while on assignment, why get yourself so worked up.

this is probably not the appropriate place to be posting complaints about the YOG as well.

YOG is run by a bunch of volunteers who may be as inconsistent as the weather....just have to bear with it. I was asked to leave my position this morning at the Pentathlon venue despite wearing a photo vest, by a volunteer who said I am in the field of play, which they only allow pro to be in until I point to a signage on the wall an all over the bench stating that it was a designated photo position....Likewise when I requested to be allowed into the media stand at the diving venue, as the designated photo position only allow side view of the divers, I was not allowed by the volunteers. I was told that the media stand is only for the Pro....When the platform got a bit crowded, the young photographer volunteers were asked to make way for the media photogs, they were asked to go to the media stand by the photo manager of the venue. Then one of the media photog who was with me saw the photo position sign pasted in one corner of the media stand....

....at the security my camera equipments were nearly damaged twice by volunteers who tried to open my back pack upright on the small table cluttered with stuff, in fact one of my photo bag was dropped, but luckily I took out my 70-200 VRII just before entering and placed it in another bag.

However no point getting angry as the volunteers are merely trying to do their job which they may not have been properly briefed.....even some of the photo managers are not very consistent or do not know their job well, but that is another story...at the end of the day just make do and try to enjoy your shoot.....

Last edited:
to be fair to the venue managers, some of them try to be accomodating to the other authorised photographers other than those "professionals" (i.e. those with the beige or black vest with the YOG logo). It's those so called professionals that complain to the venue manager that only them are allowed at those designated place. i was kindly asked to come down from the photo tower at the diving pool even though it wasn't crowded.

to be fair to the venue managers, some of them try to be accomodating to the other authorised photographers other than those "professionals" (i.e. those with the beige or black vest with the YOG logo). It's those so called professionals that complain to the venue manager that only them are allowed at those designated place. i was kindly asked to come down from the photo tower at the diving pool even though it wasn't crowded.

...actually my point was that the volunteers refused some of those accredited photog entry to the media stand, when there are actually designated position there for photogs.....in this case I am not saying the photo manager is not consistent.

lol.. chill guys.. but really.. tripod is not allowed only if u stand in front.. becoz u may block the other spectators sitting behind u.. u can mount ur tripod is you're standing at the very back.. meanwhile for monopod is fine. just rmb to sit down and shoot and not stand for too long. be considerate. other spectators paid for the tix to watch the game too :)

and as for FOP areas.. no 1 is allowed in there except for those people who should be.. eg: players, jury, score collectors. no media(s) are allowed.. not even their own coaches are allowed inside.. u can see these coaches shouting from the BOH to their athletes.

Following up.. the security dudes are people from the Sg police force.. they aren't exactly volunteers.. if u understand how SPF is like sometimes.. u'll more or less knows why they open your bag roughly and even drop ur bag "purposely".

just to clear some of your queries.. :)

Last edited:
lol.. chill guys.. but really.. tripod is not allowed only if u stand in front.. becoz u may block the other spectators sitting behind u.. u can mount ur tripod is you're standing at the very back.. meanwhile for monopod is fine. just rmb to sit down and shoot and not stand for too long. be considerate. other spectators paid for the tix to watch the game too :)

and as for FOP areas.. no 1 is allowed in there except for those people who should be.. eg: players, jury, score collectors. no media(s) are allowed.. not even their own coaches are allowed inside.. u can see these coaches shouting from the BOH to their athletes.

Following up.. the security dudes are people from the Sg police force.. they aren't exactly volunteers.. if u understand how SPF is like sometimes.. u'll more or less knows why they open your bag roughly and even drop ur bag "purposely".

I did not realised SPF hires young girls to 'drop' the bags.....actually the SPF looking dudes were real pro and were less fussy compared with the 'young ones'....but then there are some real nice Photo staff at the Canoe-Kayak venue. As I said, no point getting ruffled, just play it cool so you can go in and shoot to your heart content, people are just trying to do their jobs....some may do it better, some worse....as long as your gears stay in one piece.

I did not realised SPF hires young girls to 'drop' the bags.....actually the SPF looking dudes were real pro and were less fussy compared with the 'young ones'....but then there are some real nice Photo staff at the Canoe-Kayak venue. As I said, no point getting ruffled, just play it cool so you can go in and shoot to your heart content, people are just trying to do their jobs....some may do it better, some worse....as long as your gears stay in one piece.

oh sorry.. i missed out your 'young girls' part.. those 'young girls' are just common volunteers with no fixed assigned task to do.. so basically they are just being shifted about daily to do other stuff.. i'm a photo staff.. thank god they didn't check my bag, the other day at my venue, a accredited pg also told me his bag was being opened and the bag was drop, luckily he had his 70-200mm mounted and is not in the bag..

me tat time go in i bring my remote for the camera the mata there ask me wad is this remote for?
I see nothing wrong with this question. You expect everyone to know that camera remotes exists? And that remotes can be modified to work with explosives?

Just to clarify, the vast majority of the "security dudes" may not be volunteers, but neither are they the police. They are the Auxiliary Police Forces, in particular Cisco, Aetos and SATS police.

It is not exactly hard to identity where they come from. The police simply are in the normal police uniform, and the APOs in their respective APO uniforms. If those young girls are not in any kind of uniform other than purple shirts, they aren't exactly the police. ;)

u didnt see any police force people? my side have though.. ahh.. but nvm.. the games are ending.. only left 1 day to go..

Last edited:

Dude, those that are from SPF are mostly reservists. I've seen plenty of aunties who mistaken cisco and aetos for police, and even fire fighters for police. I hope you are not like these aunties.

Last edited:
Dude, those that are from SPF are mostly reservists. I've seen plenty of aunties who mistaken cisco and aetos for police, and even fire fighters for police. I hope you are not like these aunties.

don't worry.. i can tell them apart.. their epaulet has the words..

u didnt see any police force people? my side have though.. ahh.. but nvm.. the games are ending.. only left 1 day to go..
Of course they are, but in all venues, they only play a minor supervisory role. The ones doing the actual screenings and vehicular traffic management are predominantly APOs.
Dude, those that are from SPF are mostly reservists.
Not true in the most cases. The vast majority are regulars and NSFs. There might be one or two divisions deciding to utilise a large pool of their reservists, but they are not necessarily deployed to YOG grounds, since they can also be deployed in the NPCs instead. Also, it is unlikely for any major operations of this nature to be dominated by the reservist force.

im working as a photo staff at the YOG.

We have been told not to allow Tripods on stands but for me, being a photog i usualy close one eye until my boss comes into sight then i bo bian.

monopods also not allowed..im not sure about other venues..but for mine..im quite slack with the rules.

what i suggest is , recomfirm at the venues, as those who is wearing those PURPLE VEST that states them as photo staff or look for the venue photomanager to ask.

usualy is no but can try bah

like for my side, (sengkang hockey)
audience use flash once twice , or close to end of game, during half time i also close on eye one. but i seen those who abit only zoom into action..

hope this helps.

I went to Bishan Indoor Sports Hall for Gymnestic, i set up my manfotto tripod, for 3hrs(start to end) no one stop me... Ok, this is funny when some say can some say cannot.. SYOG Regulation also never say cannot at the first place..

...actually my point was that the volunteers refused some of those accredited photog entry to the media stand, when there are actually designated position there for photogs.....in this case I am not saying the photo manager is not consistent.

Accredited photog can be identified with those grey vest.
Not all accredited photog are allowed onto the media stand, but they can request and its up to the photo manager at the venue.

yea.. so all comes down to SYOGOC.. bad organizing.. :p

Accredited photog can be identified with those grey vest.
Not all accredited photog are allowed onto the media stand, but they can request and its up to the photo manager at the venue.

...there were 2 rows with the purple photo position at the media stand in the diving venue....actually the photo manager at the diving was a nice dude, just that the volunteers were kind of blur.....anyway young people nowadays usually do not take instruction well, in one ear, out the other, you can tell them again and again....