Yet another Tripod question.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

yaoxing

Feb 16, 2003
Bedok, Singapore
Visit site
I'm using Canon EOS888 SLR (have plans to get DSLR in near future). I will be using it mostly for long range shoots and macros. The current tripod I'm using cannot make it as the legs are obviously not firm enough.... can anyone recommend me a good tripod???

Lens I'll be using (at least):

Canon 38-76 mm
Canon 75-300mm
Tokina 100m-300mm

Budget $200

Manfrotto 190pro?

My all time favorite.

Manfrotto 190 + 141RC. Less than $200 new.
Remember to get the quick release version for the head.

Originally posted by ckiang
For your budget, you can try the Manfrotto 190D with a 352RC ball head. Just under $200 in total I think.

Regards
CK

What exactly are the differences between ball head and pan head? Sorry, newbie here.

Originally posted by yaoxing
What exactly are the differences between ball head and pan head? Sorry, newbie here.

A ball head is a ball-and-socket thing, you can release the head and turn to almost any direction up/down/left/right.

A pan head has 1 or more "sticks" for you to adjust the head. 3-way pan heads let you adjust each axis individually.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang
A ball head is a ball-and-socket thing, you can release the head and turn to almost any direction up/down/left/right.

A pan head has 1 or more "sticks" for you to adjust the head. 3-way pan heads let you adjust each axis individually.

Regards
CK

I prefer the pan head as my current tripod is using it. Is it more expensive in general?

Originally posted by yaoxing
I prefer the pan head as my current tripod is using it. Is it more expensive in general?

Manfrotto 141 RC Pan Head is very difficult to carry if you attached all the levers to it. On the other hand, the setup time is very long if you carry the tripod without attaching all the levers. In the end, I move to ball heads and I'm pretty happy with the single knob type :bsmilie:

However, Pan Head type is stronger than a Ball Head Type in the same price range.

Originally posted by jasonpgc
Manfrotto 141 RC Pan Head is very difficult to carry if you attached all the levers to it. On the other hand, the setup time is very long if you carry the tripod without attaching all the levers. In the end, I move to ball heads and I'm pretty happy with the single knob type :bsmilie:

get a tripod strap to make carrying easier. or get a tripod bag.

personally i prefer and use pan heads, because i find them easier to adjust precisely. and most of the time i don't bother with a tripod strap and just hand carry it - it's far faster to just throw it on the ground and start setting up compared to taking it out of the bag, screwing in the handles, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.