Yet another "first DSLR" thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashrain

Nov 27, 2008
Hello everyone, i'm a newbie here! I know there are countless threads on this but i've read those and narrowed down my choices, and hope to get some firm advice from you all as to what exact model i should buy. Sitex ends very soon and i will most probably get it there.

-Nikon D60 (1288 with 18-55 and 55-200)
-Canon 1000D (1099 with 18-55)
-Canon 450D (1299 with 18-55)
-Nikon D90????? (at least 1788)

Fixed prices above and i hear cathay is a good alternative in case the freebies don't entice me enough :p

What i'll need in a camera:
-good low light performance
-more fps
-wide angle
-image stabilizer (i understand only sony has this though...)

I take mainly travel photographs and price, weight, build etc are not issues, although i'm aiming not to spend more than 2k on a first dslr. Went down to sitex on friday to take a look since many advise newbies to buy a camera that is comfy to grip and shoot with. felt all were okay. The dual lens packages from nikon are very tempting but i wonder if i'll even need two as a beginner. And nikon loses out on AF points (D60). The canon salesperson strongly recommended the 1000D, but i'm thinking if i should get something higher than entry level so i won't have to upgrade so soon. A pro friend recommended me to start out with nikon (he uses canon and has stuck to it because he started out with canon). Please advise and thank you in advance! Greatly appreciate any help and i hope not to offend anyone because i really hate seeing people fight in forums.

What i'll need in a camera:
-image stabilizer (i understand only sony has this though...)

Don't forget Pentax and Olympus

I take mainly travel photographs and price, weight, build etc are not issues, although i'm aiming not to spend more than 2k on a first dslr. Went down to sitex on friday to take a look since many advise newbies to buy a camera that is comfy to grip and shoot with. felt all were okay. The dual lens packages from nikon are very tempting but i wonder if i'll even need two as a beginner. And nikon loses out on AF points (D60).

Depends on your shooting style. Can opt for either one and then buy the other one if you need the range. It's not that expensive as a stand-alone. I don't care much for multiple AF points since I don't shoot fast moving sports/objects. One is enough for me.

The canon salesperson strongly recommended the 1000D, but i'm thinking if i should get something higher than entry level so i won't have to upgrade so soon. A pro friend recommended me to start out with nikon (he uses canon and has stuck to it because he started out with canon).

He's and Canon-ite and he's asking you to buy Nikon? :confused: I think he doesn't want to share his lens. :bsmilie:

On a serious note, how familiar are you with the controls of a DSLR? If you're starting out, 1000D is fine. Else, move up a notch. Lenses last, but bodies keep getting obsolete. Unless you're not suckered into BBB addiction. Have fun with whatever DSLR you treat yourself to.

my stance has always been, its the man, not the camera.

get your fundamentals right, and every DSLR is good enough to create good pic.

"What i'll need in a camera:
-good low light performance
-more fps
-wide angle
-image stabilizer (i understand only sony has this though...)"

coming from a film/slide background, i tink this hi ISO thing in DSLR is totally blown out of proportion. last time, the highest common ISO for slides is ISO 100. for film, it 400. there are higher speed films, but they are not often used for various reasons. suddenly, everyone is concerned about how their DSLR perform in 1600, 3200... ...12600 :bigeyes:. i am using the 30D, and i quite confortable w the perfromance at ISO800. also wun hesitate to shoot higher if necessary.

more fps. really, except for "pro" sports photographer, i dunno of anyone who shoot in motor drive bursts. your hit rate will be higher if u set to "single shot". focus, and be prepared for the decisive moment. anticipate, shoot. the best moment can easily happen in between the X fps bursts.

wide angle. nothin to d ow the camera. got something to do w system, cus some ppl w argue X system has better wide angle than Y system. but, it doesnt matter to me, cus i using tokina 12-24. very happy w the lens.

IS. for canon/nikon, its on the lens. my kit lens has IS. i keep it on, but dunno if it actually works or not.

If you've read the other threads, you'll know the golden rule:

Try the cameras for yourself. Make sure you try all the brands, don't limit yourself to C and N. Buy what you feel is the most comfy, not what other people tell you to get. Be an adult, make your own choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.