Ya HOO!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

slypower50

May 6, 2007
Taken at Singapore Zoo. Please comment.. thanks!

2565141516_3324bb877c.jpg

Taken at f 5.6 and @ 1/160s
Focal length : 134mm
ISO : 800

Trying to freeze the action for the animal when it is leaping out of the water..Trying to see if the composition is there to capture the moment.

The [insert animal's name here]'s head has merged into the dark colour rocks and background. So it doesn't quite stand out. Some unwanted elements like the rock-thing at the bottom left. Zoo shots, I think usually try to zoom in further emphasize the creature's face/head, and put the background more out of focus.

The [insert animal's name here]'s head has merged into the dark colour rocks and background. So it doesn't quite stand out. Some unwanted elements like the rock-thing at the bottom left. Zoo shots, I think usually try to zoom in further emphasize the creature's face/head, and put the background more out of focus.

yupz.. i agree that the head had merged into the dark colour rocks.. will take note of that.. thanks for the comments.

Hi,

Please take note that you are required to include a short write up on the photograph and what exactly you are seeking critique on.

Hi,

Please take note that you are required to include a short write up on the photograph and what exactly you are seeking critique on.

Thanks bro for the note. Change slightly to the 1st post..

Hi,

dude,

chill la. you're also not the moderator. its the moderator's job to inform the guy. u are only member what. doesnt even concern you also.

just give ur comments to help the poor dude improve. if there is none, then dont post, really.

dude,

chill la. you're also not the moderator. its the moderator's job to inform the guy. u are only member what. doesnt even concern you also.

just give ur comments to help the poor dude improve. if there is none, then dont post, really.

So if you are not the police, it is not your business to tell someone not to steal or litter? I'm just trying to be helpful. I don't see you posting anything constructive toward this thread either; maybe you should think carefully about what you write before posting yourself.

How to accurately give critique when the poster does not state clearly what his/her intentions are and what he/she intends to improve on?

TS, the shot is slightly underexposed, probably because your camera exposure meter was tricked, and possibly also because you shot on Manual mode and jacked your shutter speed a little too high to attempt to freeze motion. What mode were you on?

Compositionally, the photo is a little weak, would have preferred a side view of things, but then you are hard pressed, as you don't know when/where the animal will pop up. I guess this is a good lesson-type photo for stopping motion, but definitely not the most aesthetically pleasing.

dude,

first off, thank you very much to calebk for taking the time, effort and trouble to keep a lookout for us, the moderators with regards to keeping the thread/forum neat and tidy.

ClubSnap is an online social community and there're rules and regulations of which we have to try and keep to and maintain too.

we are very grateful to members who take their own time, effort and trouble to raise up issues and problems with certain posts. it makes our job easier.

now heckcare.der, if u've nothing to contribute at all to the community or this thread, i advise u to steer clear and keep ur opinion/s to urself or bring it outside and just view the postings.

Thank you.

yeah, the animal's head is kinda merged into the dark background. and yes, you can try to zoom in to further emphasize the creature's face. but for me, i prefer to zoom out to show the surroundings, together with the audience expressions.
haha. everyone has different opinions. shoot what you think is best for you. happy shooting! ;)
but one last thing. since this picture has the animal's head merging into the background, try blurring the background in photoshop.
just my two cents worth :D

So if you are not the police, it is not your business to tell someone not to steal or litter? I'm just trying to be helpful. I don't see you posting anything constructive toward this thread either; maybe you should think carefully about what you write before posting yourself.

How to accurately give critique when the poster does not state clearly what his/her intentions are and what he/she intends to improve on?

TS, the shot is slightly underexposed, probably because your camera exposure meter was tricked, and possibly also because you shot on Manual mode and jacked your shutter speed a little too high to attempt to freeze motion. What mode were you on?

Compositionally, the photo is a little weak, would have preferred a side view of things, but then you are hard pressed, as you don't know when/where the animal will pop up. I guess this is a good lesson-type photo for stopping motion, but definitely not the most aesthetically pleasing.

Thanks bro for the helpful comments.. I understand your point. Dont wish it to become a war zone. Sorry for those involve.

yeah, the animal's head is kinda merged into the dark background. and yes, you can try to zoom in to further emphasize the creature's face. but for me, i prefer to zoom out to show the surroundings, together with the audience expressions.
haha. everyone has different opinions. shoot what you think is best for you. happy shooting! ;)
but one last thing. since this picture has the animal's head merging into the background, try blurring the background in photoshop.
just my two cents worth :D

I will try that bro.. thanks for the advice.

seal.jpg

some minor flaws to your image, composition wise I would go for a tighter crop for more impact
but leave some headroom for the seal to jump into (eg above)

note the bg has been lightened and the splash has also been darkened
this should bring out the seal more and add the freezing motion that you want with the details of the splash

normally i would try to keep the background as simply as possible
i would only go wider if the background adds to the story that the image is trying to tell

Thanks bro for the helpful comments.. I understand your point...

Hi bro, mind telling me what camera mode and metering mode you were shooting on? You haven't answered my question.

seal.jpg

some minor flaws to your image, composition wise I would go for a tighter crop for more impact
but leave some headroom for the seal to jump into (eg above)

note the bg has been lightened and the splash has also been darkened
this should bring out the seal more and add the freezing motion that you want with the details of the splash

normally i would try to keep the background as simply as possible
i would only go wider if the background adds to the story that the image is trying to tell

but will it be a bit too sharp at the splashes? ( especially at the face there..) although i also find it looking better.. thanks for the help bro..

Hi bro, mind telling me what camera mode and metering mode you were shooting on? You haven't answered my question.

sorry that i missed your qn..
I am using M mode, using spot metering.. i tried to pre focus on the spot before it comes jumping out but most of the pic are not well focus on its head but more on the background..

but will it be a bit too sharp at the splashes? ( especially at the face there..) although i also find it looking better.. thanks for the help bro..

I am using M mode, using spot metering.. i tried to pre focus on the spot before it comes jumping out but most of the pic are not well focus on its head but more on the background..

if u use M mode, u better tell us the setting instead, cos the metering won't affect the settings since its M mode.

No worries bro....

if u use M mode, u better tell us the setting instead, cos the metering won't affect the settings since its M mode.

I'd think that maybe slypower has exposed for the water, which has more reflectivity and hence tricks the light meter into thinking that the scene is brighter than it is.

quick and dirty edit on low res image, just a sample on what can be done, i'm sure you can do better on the full res image

Hi , what do you mean by settings? in terms of ? Thanks..

Status
Not open for further replies.