XC10+XLR=XC15

Bamboopictures

http://www.newsshooter.com/2016/09/...o-canon-log-and-waveform-monitor-to-the-xc10/
But what's with that awful long cable that connects itself with itself?
Blast from HMC40's miniXLR past?
ag-hmc40-right.jpg

xc15_DSC2701-600x407.jpg

xc15_DSC2677-400x600.jpg

Last edited:
https://scontent-sit4-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14102509_1408340155859670_2930562785589190158_n.jpg?oh=c015b66816f7c2204bfe7f32800c3661&oe=584EF58B

I own 3 units of XC10 and have mixed feelings about the new XC15. Firstly, having acquired the XC10 less than a year ago, I was feeling bummed that a new model came out so soon..... However, from the recent news of the XC15, it seems like other than the audio input module, which could have been easily worked around by using external audio recorder or Sound Devices Mixpre via the line/mic input, there's not much of a significant upgrade. Hardware upgrade that is.... Lens is still the same old 10x unit that doesn't have constant aperture and no powered zoom for video usage.... perhaps a sigh of relief in a way that I could have kicked myself and waited for XC15 instead of throwing my money on the XC10. :)

Most of the announced additional features sounded like something the XC10 could have with a new firmware update.
Their last one on the XC10 was just released a couple of months ago for increased AF speeds & added MP4 file format capability.

I could be wrong to assume that the seemingly additional features (eg. Waveform monitoring, additional C-Log profiles?) can be added to the XC10 via firmware update, but will definitely be a happy & impressed owner if Canon releases a new firmware for XC10...

Having said all these, I think the XC10 is a super underrated video camera despite it's 1" sensor and fixed lens.

On another note, lookout for Panasonic's new 4K ENG styled UX series. :)

Last edited:
Interesting that you pick the XC10 for multicam setup. Can you share what situations you use it for?
Also, have you ever tried using XC10 in full auto mode? IS the AF reliable? Any face tracking options?
Looking for a 1" camcorder that I can lock down and walk away.

Never really used it in a live switched multicam situation...yet... :) But intention was to keep things compact and small with minimal crew requirement. The amount of gears you need for a typical 3x AC160 shoot vs a 3x XC10 shoot is significant as you can imagine.

So far, most work with the XC10 are post edited multicam shoot (eg. 2 to 3 independent cam interviews & talking heads).
Yes, no TC input for TC lock, so need to manual clap sync.

Full auto mode is spot-on for focusing & exposure, but I just hate the color temp shift.
Perhaps a shutter priority with locked color temp & AF might be a better choice.

To lock down and go away, you'd need to worry about batt life.... reported batt life states about 90mins... but it's much lesser than that....closer to 50mins-1hour. I run customised external 8.4v batt packs into the DC jack and it's happily running 3-4hours endurance.

Last edited: