X-T2 battery life

kaiser88

Jun 23, 2016
West
Hi all,

I bought the X-T2 kit during comex and I did a full charge of the battery before using it the next day.

However, I could only manage approximately 110-130 shots before the battery runs flat. It was purely just photo taking and I did not use the video function at all.

I was also shooting using the Single shot and not CL/CH, performance mode was Normal. I did not use the Wireless communication either. I switch off the camera whenever i'm not shooting.

Initially I thought I might not have done a proper full charge of the battery so I charged it for at least 150 mins during yesterday night and used it today, results were still the same. Battery runs flat after 100+ shots.

I was surprised that being the X-T2, the battery life was shockingly low but it was not logical for it to just last for 100+ shots per charge. I did a check online and found out that with a single charge, it could last approx 340 shots.

Anyone else facing such issues? :confused:

Hi all,

I bought the X-T2 kit during comex and I did a full charge of the battery before using it the next day.

However, I could only manage approximately 110-130 shots before the battery runs flat. It was purely just photo taking and I did not use the video function at all.

I was also shooting using the Single shot and not CL/CH, performance mode was Normal. I did not use the Wireless communication either. I switch off the camera whenever i'm not shooting.

Initially I thought I might not have done a proper full charge of the battery so I charged it for at least 150 mins during yesterday night and used it today, results were still the same. Battery runs flat after 100+ shots.

I was surprised that being the X-T2, the battery life was shockingly low but it was not logical for it to just last for 100+ shots per charge. I did a check online and found out that with a single charge, it could last approx 340 shots.

Hi there,

Are you using the 2nd Gen batteries or the 1st Gen? I'm not an XT2 user but I read somewhere that you have to exchange the 1st Gen batteries for the 2nd Gen ones.

Hi,

if you're referring NP-W126S as the 2nd gen then yup, im using that battery. If im not wrong, the first gen is NP-W126 without the 's'.

Hi all,

I have been using the original battery for the first gen and the latest S revision and also 3rd party battery. All can last few hundred shots with 50% left. No preview and under normal mode.

the NPW126s is essentially the same with NWP126 just that the S implies 'Shield', additional protection against overheating during usage.

I've the X-Pro2, and definitely gets way more than 100+ shots per charged batt. (same sensor/processor). I will suggest maybe you should try out with a few diff batts and if the same persist, get a bro to check your settings (i noted that you did not engage HighPerformance mode etc) and if that doesn't help , send it back for a quick check.

habits like chimping a lot definitely do help in draining batt too. Switch off the cam when not in use and engage auto-sleep mode in the menus.

enjoy the camera!

Battery life is a bit lower then I expected as well, overall. I don't know what is causing this but it's erratic. Some batteries will give me 100 shots, others will give me 300 shots. BUT I don't mean one battery is faulty. I mean the way I use the camera seems to drain unexpectedly. This has been the case with both my X-T2 bodies and 10 different batteries over a few jobs and a lot of everyday usage.

I keep boost mode on. And I don't often use the grip. Also shoot one shot mainly but sometimes switch to face detect. Never have pre-af on I don't like it. Maybe it's the focusing mode? I usually also shoot S and one shot af.

I don't chimp and I keep auto preview off. And also switch off camera after every shot since I have no reason to keep it on since it starts up quick.

Hope this helps!

this is interesting, maybe I should buy a X-T2 and try for myself ;)

On the X-Pro2, of course batt life is already more constrained when compared to the X-T1 having to content with hungrier processing needs but I've never encountered only 100+ shots on a charge.

If its about settings, a guess I may have is the EVF on the X-T2, its brilliant / very responsive and huge and of course may be a drain on batt.

Yes ! For the good of everyone, you should buy an X-T2 and test for us !!!!

On the X-Pro2, of course batt life is already more constrained when compared to the X-T1 having to content with hungrier processing needs but I've never encountered only 100+ shots on a charge.

If its about settings, a guess I may have is the EVF on the X-T2, its brilliant / very responsive and huge and of course may be a drain on batt.

Yes, noticed something weirder also... I'm in Melbourne for the week and it's REALLY cold here. Well not Canadian winter cold, but down jacket cold.
Anyway, the X-T2 has NOTICEABLY better battery life here. Like 600 images easily per charge. Which is in line with what I was getting from the X-T1.

Now I'm starting to suspect it's from the heat issue. My X-T2 (both bodies, with all batteries even 126S version) get quite hot. But here, even if either body wants to get hot, they cannot due to it being so damn cold here. Hence batteries stay cooler, hence more images.

Thinking this is true now that I've spent two days shooting in cold weather with great overall battery performance. Will continue to test this throughout the week and then when I get back test the same bodies in SG. If the battery life suffers, it's the heat issue causing it. IF the batteries don't suffer, it's because they were new and needed to sync up - You know how they say batteries need a few charges to get inline with expected performance.

Hi bro,

I've a feeling your guess may be right but it will always be prob difficult to confirm with Fuji that heat is a cause for not as optimum batt life. After all this is the first camera to sport 4K recording and they did the NWP126s (which main difference is it's resistant to overheating) just for the X-T2.

I face the same thing, the battery life i get about 200-250 compare to XT1 which is 300-350, and the camera feel a bit warm after constant use for about 15min and only took still photo, and is on single shot mode. boost not on.

Also funnily enough I picked up the 23/2 lens while overseas since I seen it available in store.
I guess they came in early?

nice bro.

It should be out in a few more days at the stores worldwide but I guess your shop decided that sales counts more than adhering to embargo dates :bsmilie: have fun with the lens!

nice bro.

It should be out in a few more days at the stores worldwide but I guess your shop decided that sales counts more than adhering to embargo dates :bsmilie: have fun with the lens!

Yeah that happens sometimes with Fuji I've noticed :D
Apparently the shop got 6 last Monday, and they sold all of them through the week. I bought the last one on the weekend (Saturday).

It's a good little lens, if you don't need the 23/1.4 but the purpose for which I bought it was more that I can stick it in the pocket on days when I'm out shooting overseas (where you wear jackets) with the 35/2. And since they're both almost the same size (small) I can just switch off whenever I feel the need.

Much like I do with my M lenses. One on camera while one is in the jacket pocket.

Have fun with it , it's a lovely lens to have around for me and I just returned the review set :)

Will be getting one for myself too heh heh.

Anyway, getting out of topic. Lets focus back on the X-T2 batt lifespan.

Last edited:
So far I've noticed that in Singapore (now that I'm back) the batteries don't last as long.

So this is good news and bad news in a way. The good news is, it's probably the heat that drains the batteries. Which means if you're in a ballroom (wedding) you'll get more shots then you think. The bad news is, it's quite a significant jump in battery life between warm and cold countries. So shooting outdoors while mobile you'll need spare batteries :(

I've not done grip and no grip tests yet. I haven't really gotten around to playing with the grip all that much. But perhaps since the grip puts the batteries further from the other heat sources, it might also extend the life a bit (just a theory).

A week ago I was Fujifilm's studio at Suntec City playing around with their X-T2. I was shooting with NWP126 batteries with and without grip. In total, I shot around 150+ photos in RAW+JPEG without draining the battery too much. I shot in CH mode, with the screens on, used the EVF almost all the time, did some movie recording etc. The whole camera got warm, so you know it was working really hard.