WTSell: Others - Phottix Pop-up Flash Diffuser (Fits all cameras including Sony!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

quen2001

Jun 18, 2009
Advertisement Category: Want To Sell (WTS)

Equipment Type: Others
Equipment Brand: Phottix
Equipment Model: Pop-up Flash Diffuser (Fits all cameras including Sony!)
Price (S$): 12
Description:
Brand new and original Phottix pop-up diffuser for your DSLR camera. Plastic wrapping still on.

Its from Phottix the famous photographic assessories brand. Comes with three colored caps for differnet purpose. Quality is excellent as good as Gary Fung's; this is unlike those cheap ones u get outside.

Solid quality and performance!

Condition of Item (as per guidelines): Mint
Warranty Status: -

Package/Accessories/Extras:
With additional Sony hotshoe adaptor.

Additional Comments:
*Review* Phottix Pop-Up Diffuser

The Phottix Pop Up Diffuser

The Flash in Photography
When one mentions flash, most probably, it would refer to introducing an artificial light source to illuminate the seen. Flash has a few purposes. Of which, it functions as fill light, ‘freezes’ your subject or helps to bring out the colours in your picture, at the same time, thus allowing you to shoot at lower iso speed which leads to lesser noise.
When it comes to flash photography, there are a variety of flashes available in the market.

Hotshoe Flash Units
Preferred by the majority of the community in order to shoot ‘professionally’ taken pictures due to its customisability. Can be used a fill flash and or bounced off a surface to create softer lighting. Normally powered by a battery source of its own and can be fired on the hotshoe or wirelessly, thus giving you the freedom of positioning and more creative effects.

Ring Flash Units
Normally connected to the hot shoe, draining off the camera battery. This flash is favoured for portraits and fashion shots for softening of shadows and giving a form of halo light effects. In addition, the catchlights you will see in a model’s eyes will appear in tiny rings that sparkle. It is also used in macro photography.

Light Strobes
Commonly used in strobing and requires a power source. Either from power mains or an external battery pack. Comes in watts.

Pop up Flash
Our main star for today, commonly belittled by the majority of the photographic community as practically useless and drains your camera battery power. Mostly integrated as part of majority of cameras except some of the high end ones. You can’t bounce it, its underpowered and there isn’t any high speed sync.

However, it does have its plus points.
During emergencies whereby you don’t have your handy flash gun with you, this little guy can be a life saver. Ever tried shooting outdoors, only to realise that your subjects are dark and shadowy? With the built-in flash functioning as fill flash, we can eliminate those pesky shadows and illuminate the details as compared to shooting without it.

Personally, I do have something against pop-up flash like the vast majority. That was until I got myself a Phottix Pop-Up flash diffuser based on a friend’s recommendation which totally changed my opinion. It has certainly proven itself useful when I prefer to opt for a lighter setup while travelling. It is indeed a lifesaver when I require the use of flash.
The Phottix Pop-Up Diffuser comes with 3 different coloured diffusers, namely in white, orange , blue and comes with adaptors for mounting it on the hotshoe. The build is somewhat made of solid translucent plastic.

As you can see, it has up to 5 levels to suit the different types of cameras in the market.

Just for example, I have fitted the white diffuser on the 2nd level from the top as the pop up flash on my canon sx 10 is isn’t really that high. The fit is rather tight. Hence, I don’t have to worry much about dropping them in the middle of a shoot.

Here are some shots which I have taken with the Pop-Up flash diffuser. Courtesy of one of my buddies.
(Sorry guys, no babes here as the ones I know are too shy. Any volunteers out there?)

Setup:
Camera: Canon 500D
Lens: EF 24-70mm F2.8L
Shot in L quality Jpeg, No raws, no editing.

From Left

Shot 1: Taken with direct flash, as you can see, the flash is rather harsh and gives my buddy a sort of a overexposed ‘ghostly’ feel.

Shot 2: Taken with flash, white diffuser. Now that’s better, don’t you all agree? The flash isn’t that harsh now and evenly illuminates the entire subject.

Shot 3: Shot with flash, blue diffuser. Now it gives the picture a rather cool tone. Notice the blueish hues on his skin? I would personally recommend using this should you find that the
environment is too warm that the subject’s skin is too orangey for choice. The cool light will help to reduce the orange skin tone.

Shot 4: Shot with flash, orange diffuser. Now this picture is too warm as we have added more warmth into a warm scene. Its useful if you want to simulate a late afternoon effect indoors or if you would like to neutralize the colour on the skin if it has blueish hues due to cool lighting.

In conclusion, don't you agree that such small light-weight plastic diffusers can make such a huge difference in the pics you take? I do admit its no direct replacement for a hotshoe flash, but if you do consider the benefits it brings in terms of the space and weight it takes up, isn't it quite useful afterall?

Status
Not open for further replies.