Wrong Exposure..

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamer_toons

Aug 6, 2006
Hi all, I been practising with my D80 and needs some of your expertise..

I have been trying to shoot some coastal areas but some times I am unable to get a correct exposure especially on cloudy days.

I tried to meter/focus on the sky, the result is the sky is correct exposed but my shoreline is underexposed. On the other hand, I meter/focus the shoreline, my sky becomes overexposed but the details are preserved at the shore.

Pls advise on how to get a correct exposure for the overall scene. Thks and happy shooting.

You can never get both sky and coastline exposed "correctly" in one shot. If you have your D80 mounted on the tripod, you can try multiple exposures of different aperture with automatic gain.

BC

Try using a graduated neutral density filter instead. The dynamic range of the image you are trying to take is too wide. It is impossible to get a correctly exposed image in this case.

Thks for all the prompt replies. Anyway I using the kit len 18-135, so don think I would want to invest in the filters for the kit len till I get my next len.

Hi all, I been practising with my D80 and needs some of your expertise..

I have been trying to shoot some coastal areas but some times I am unable to get a correct exposure especially on cloudy days.

I tried to meter/focus on the sky, the result is the sky is correct exposed but my shoreline is underexposed. On the other hand, I meter/focus the shoreline, my sky becomes overexposed but the details are preserved at the shore.

Pls advise on how to get a correct exposure for the overall scene. Thks and happy shooting.

Without a grad ND, then shoot 2 RAWs of the same scene using 2 different metering, then blend them together to get your desired effect. ;)

Thks for all the prompt replies. Anyway I using the kit len 18-135, so don think I would want to invest in the filters for the kit len till I get my next len.

Practise with your kit lens first before you go for your next lens. :) Without practise, you wouldn't even know which range you need. Till now i am using the 18-135 for 90% of my shots. Only 10% with occasional use of prime lens for the bokeh. Don't have the impression that the kit lens sucks please... :cry: It's not that bad~

The only thing that is unique in case of filters is the thread size. But graduated neutral density filters exist only for certain brands like Cokin, where you just need to get a filter holder and an adapter, you can use a wide array of filters across most thread sizes. The only thing you need to invest in is the various adapter sizes.

Agreed. That's y I holding off the purchasing of additional lens and still practising with the kit len; it's a good walk-about len for beginner liked me.. Anyway, what is the average cost for a CPL and GND?

Agreed. That's y I holding off the purchasing of additional lens and still practising with the kit len; it's a good walk-about len for beginner liked me.. Anyway, what is the average cost for a CPL and GND?

Hmm, even more experience member can use it la. The range is quite nice. I got my CPL at about 60 at AP Sim Lim last time. Be careful when you use it, will cut down lights. But the contrast will be nice. Play with your camera setting to achieve the best effect. Seldom use mine nowadays though. :)

Try to shoot early in the morning like 7am or late evening 6.30pm, I am sure you will get better exposure shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.