Would you sacrifice a good camera for more lenses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hai................. I am actually going through the same delima

I have an option to Sell my D300+MB10 and upgrade to D3 ( the price I was offered was just irresistable... seriously....)

Or I can get a 14-24 F2.8 instead + $300 spare cash....

I want the D3 for the Full frame ability........... and not really for other features........ it will make all my lens "normal" again.

Hey Satan_18349,

sorry to have mistaken your intentions. no hard feelings !

:sweatsm:

hai................. I am actually going through the same delima

I have an option to Sell my D300+MB10 and upgrade to D3 ( the price I was offered was just irresistable... seriously....)

Or I can get a 14-24 F2.8 instead + $300 spare cash....

I want the D3 for the Full frame ability........... and not really for other features........ it will make all my lens "normal" again.
I know what you mean !!!

There's no denying that there are some super drool worthy shots that can only be taken with a full frame.

=)

The best part of this hobby is to lust for better equipment:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

i support the constant push for the best features in all the pro cameras - only because they will all trickle down to the amateur models for poor people like me. =)

maybe you might want to look at this thread before deciding.
but treat it with a pinch of salt.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376617

seriously when your skills overtake your current cam...i think d300 would be good enough for you unless you have some FX lens now.
cos changing from DX lens to FX lens is costly way to going FF.

Fer me,If really have to choose..

Lens first!
Keep the good lenses coming in..hold on to the body..
Upz with the camera skills..
then only new camera comes in..

If you know what you are doing, ANY dSLR body (that can mount your lenses) will suffice. If you just a serious hobbyist, you are probably better off focusing on what you want to shoot - that means focusing your resources on lenses (macro, ultra-wide, PC, DC, portraits, etc). For most people, the higher end bodies are just for ego, like it or not.

Of course, if any hobbyist should have the resources, the desire, and the will, to indulge in envy-lust-acquire, don't stop. Save the economy through shopping! :bsmilie:

Why not work on addressing your immediate needs.

If you are on a budget, get/upgrade to the nxt cheapest body with features that that will not hamper ur shooting. You can get more lenses if u need.

Although many is said about *investing* in lenses rather than camera bodies, upgrading a body is not all that bad if the reason warrants. If you needed the AF motor in the body, I think a better body will be a better buy.

Ryan

If you know what you are doing, ANY dSLR body (that can mount your lenses) will suffice. If you just a serious hobbyist, you are probably better off focusing on what you want to shoot - that means focusing your resources on lenses (macro, ultra-wide, PC, DC, portraits, etc). For most people, the higher end bodies are just for ego, like it or not.

Of course, if any hobbyist should have the resources, the desire, and the will, to indulge in envy-lust-acquire, don't stop. Save the economy through shopping! :bsmilie:

higher end body i feel its not just for ego, picture quality and perfomances are why some people upgrade.

why i upgrade from D40x to the D300 is for the LV and the 3 inch LCD screen. I need the LV cause not many friends actually wants to peek thru that tiny VF to shoot.

To the TS

pal, here's a good recipe for someone like u.....

solve your illusions & confusions :

get these :

12-24 tokina ATX pro for wide angle
18-70 nikon super best all round kit lens for mid range zoom
85mm 1.8D for fabulous potraits
Telephoto lens? ( go rent one 70-200 2.8VR if you hardly shoot telephoto ) saves cost
Cam body - D200

all in all, this is a perfect set up between entry level & pro level.

you have these sets, you're gonna be happy for the next 2 years, polish up your skills, then upgrade the gadgets as & where you deem suitable to feed your lust later!

:bsmilie::bsmilie:

cheers!

I think you have got a stalker or admirer......:bsmilie: isn't it nice to have someone to discuss issues all the time...:think: consider me one of your admirers..:heart:

Why not work on addressing your immediate needs.

If you are on a budget, get/upgrade to the nxt cheapest body with features that that will not hamper ur shooting. You can get more lenses if u need.

Although many is said about *investing* in lenses rather than camera bodies, upgrading a body is not all that bad if the reason warrants. If you needed the AF motor in the body, I think a better body will be a better buy.

Ryan

sound advice indeed:thumbsup:

I know a range of good lenses will help in shooting various subjects.

I'm quite an amateur and starting shooting a year ago. I've been doing mostly event photography, some editorial shoots, but I hope to go into more commercialized stuff eventually.

Currently I'm quite happy with my D40x (except when I want to buy lens, because the D40x can only auto focus with AFS lens ).

But I was wondering, would you rather save the money for a couple of lens, and get a rather good camera (lusting after the D3!), or get an okay camera, like the D300 and get more lens? I know D300 and D3 are two complete different things because the latter is a full frame.

I'm quite confused, because I feel like upgrading, but I'm seriously unsure as to whether I should get a D3 or not!

Would appreciate if you experienced guys could offer some advice?

Like Ryan says, it really depends on your needs, current and future. Actually near future is more important. Would you require a FX body or the features in the pro-cam right now for your event photography and editorial shoots? New camera bodies are released every 18 mths or so. When you go into commercial shoots, its still not too late to get the camera body or lenses you need.

Have you tried shooting with a D3? If not, try it first before deciding if it suits your purpose. I am also not sure what lenses you have currently though.

Like in IT, you buy when you need it, cause the technology improves very quickly and the cost comes down very quickly.

:lovegrin:

thanks for all the input everyone!

well for me i guess it's just the idea of new equipment taking over my mind. especially after i tried out the D3 ! I'm in this because as a Mass Communication student who was majoring in journ, i got to dabble in photojournalism. It was actually more photography than photojourn because we were allowed to mock up (photo documentary, to be precise).

And now I'm very sure I want to venture into this for real, BUT, as a hobbyist (too!), the sound that the D3 makes when you click on the shutter, the feel, it's just too sexy to resist. I know this sounds SUPER illogical, but it happens.

Well at least I'm logical enough to think it through before really buying. It was a "heat of the moment" kinda thing. :sweatsm:

For now I have a 70-300, 16-85mm and a 50mm 1.8F, which I cannot AF because Im using D40x. Well that's my only gripe about the D40x. '

Apart from that, my set of equipment is really more than enough for what I have been doing currently! It's what I hope to do in the near future, that I might need upgrading for.

But I'm not there yet, so I'll wait!

But SERIOUSLY? I really want to try some macro shots, partially for hobbying, and partially for profession. :p

:lovegrin:

thanks for all the input everyone!

well for me i guess it's just the idea of new equipment taking over my mind. especially after i tried out the D3 ! I'm in this because as a Mass Communication student who was majoring in journ, i got to dabble in photojournalism. It was actually more photography than photojourn because we were allowed to mock up (photo documentary, to be precise).

And now I'm very sure I want to venture into this for real, BUT, as a hobbyist (too!), the sound that the D3 makes when you click on the shutter, the feel, it's just too sexy to resist. I know this sounds SUPER illogical, but it happens.

Well at least I'm logical enough to think it through before really buying. It was a "heat of the moment" kinda thing. :sweatsm:

For now I have a 70-300, 16-85mm and a 50mm 1.8F, which I cannot AF because Im using D40x. Well that's my only gripe about the D40x. '

Apart from that, my set of equipment is really more than enough for what I have been doing currently! It's what I hope to do in the near future, that I might need upgrading for.

But I'm not there yet, so I'll wait!

But SERIOUSLY? I really want to try some macro shots, partially for hobbying, and partially for profession. :p

only in the medical field does macro photography come into play.

if you shoot JPGs most of the time, i would recommend new bodies like D300 & D3
the AWB & metering is much better
if you shoot RAW most of the time, then probably you have less need to upgrade body, perhaps if you have lens you really need you should consider it.

i had just shoot in mixed dynamic ambient light last night, my D300 outperforms my D200 by miles in terms of metering & AWB accuracy.

Get what you need, work with what you have until you reach a point when you realise that you need something better.

Endless consumption is not really the way to go if you're just starting out. TS's current kit is more than enough for a beginner.

Isisaxon:
just had deleted the double & triple post now
thanks for the information
i didn't notice the delete button ::bsmilie:

blive: hahaha no lah.. but that's a good idea though ;p

Why just edit it? Just delete it lah.. There's a delete button at the bottom right of the edit window. ;p

hehehe, so that can catch up to your number of post... :bsmilie:

this topic has been on and off forum from the way I see it.

to share an incident, I was shooting SG flyer night and this stranger came up to me and asked what camera I was using. He tot thta it looked like D3 and so he asked. He seems utterly awed by the mere glimpse of what might be a D3 ( the power of marketing ). I told him it's not. He asked why not a higher spec camera with a lower noise at higher ISO? I asked him, do you need a high ISO when you shoot night scene long exposure? He kept quiet.

"but it has ### frames per second, it's GOOD!"
Oh ... what do you want to shoot? I asked. Dolphin jumping out of the pool and kissing the ballon? I thought. But he just seems so engrossed in himself, it doesn't matters what other think. My last straw at talking to him was when he said, " 2.8K and 6.8K not expensive wat..."
I told him stop lusting and asking around what gears people have and go get yourself one. with that I turned back to my project.

This fellow is into sport and he's an amateur, apparantly. I told him, if he's into sports, probably he should get something else cheaper and still shoot well.

See ..... gear lust.

Worse off is when people compare brands/ISO at prices which they can only afford, around the 1800 region, not for nikon of coz. It's lower noise than nikon, why get nikon? Well you get lower noise at the expense of details. That's my tot. Anyway, his photo are not sharp coupled with moon face shots ...

tired now .... I need to stop rattling on ... :sweatsm:

Status
Not open for further replies.