Would you risk your life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ParkertR said:
Hmm... personally I would run away to tell of the story with or without pictures, another day. But if I could take pictures... hehe i'd have this mother of a lens, stand on higher ground and shoot! :p
12001700mmview.jpg
I don't think even this lens can help you..the tsunami can reach as far in as 5-8km inland. Maybe more. ;)

Shoot and scoot.

Of cos, if I'm meant to die that day, it will meant to be. Be it being wiped out in a-tenth of a secondth by the crushing waves or by water-borne diseases caused by the aftermath.

I dont think the incoming wave will have a sign stating its a killer tidal wave??

Most people, as is shown in this case will just think it just another big big wave, that all.

So I dont think this is about common sense or gut feeling. Its easy to say "I will trust my gut feeling / common sense" after things happened. Things just happen.

I do hope it never happens here. While on this Island there would be no where to run.

Though, in a different situation, I would simply run as fast as I could.
But I feel that I would instinctivly turn to get a shot.
No doubt that second or two to compose would probably be a big mistake.

It is the nature of some people I guess.
Not to be a hero, but just to take THAT photo :dunno:

i would... , i've just returned from my trip to thailand, really really regret my side trip to phuket, just stood there like an idiot with my camera shooting the wave , until i realise that it was gonna be too late turned and tried to run. onli to trip and fall into the water... my camera is lost... but i still have my life... thank god for that.

No way. :nono: Life is more important.

I would.... the shot is worth it. Where is your sence of adventure. I leave my fate in the hands of the photography gods.

Malakite said:
i would... , i've just returned from my trip to thailand, really really regret my side trip to phuket, just stood there like an idiot with my camera shooting the wave , until i realise that it was gonna be too late turned and tried to run. onli to trip and fall into the water... my camera is lost... but i still have my life... thank god for that.
:eek: :eek:

The thing is many people didn't realise it was tsunami in the making let alone know that there's an earthquake out at sea. Those that got washed out from beaches hadn't any clue as to what awaits them till its too late. The Thailand authority should use the European SIL (safety integrity level) for decision making on such matter. It will definitely saves lives ...at expense of some economic lost but that can be earn.

Just use common sense. It works in a majority of the situations.

Also need to realise that award winning shots need not include the huge waves.

AReality said:
Just use common sense. It works in a majority of the situations.

Also need to realise that award winning shots need not include the huge waves.
true true...

we get too caught up with the dramatic, and forget that the human interest shots can be equally powerful

bensen-burner said:
I would.... the shot is worth it. Where is your sence of adventure. I leave my fate in the hands of the photography gods.

Raise of a new religion. :think:

The God, Kodak, I think he made the 1st "real" camera?

skyflash said:
I think this case is the "sudden" low tide which was the signal. By the time the killer wave arrives, it is too late. Some survivors actually ran "hundreds of metre" from the "shore line".

Where most may not know the significant of "sudden low tide", true some will.

For me, I will shoot. Like the saying, Curiosity kills the cat...or in this case photog.

for me, shoot first talk later....it's the risk factor which increases the value of photo (satisfaction)...of coz there's a balance lah...by instinct u will know u cant hang around longer....u dun wait till something hits. When u got to go....u got to go. :p

i think the difference will be whether we are alone, with other guys/photogs, or with family/children.

if your gf/wife or children are with you, i wouldn't be surprised if should the situation calls for it, you'd even throw your camera away to save your loved ones. (example you need to carry a child up and need both hands. and ya, don't tell me you'll sling it, this is illustrating worst case scenario to make the point)

Status
Not open for further replies.