Would you buy camera overseas just cause it's cheaper?

I thought the second is to take picture of the robber after he rob you :bsmilie:

Alamak, ask yourself this... how many of your cameras have you keep using after 2 years...

In this age of gizmo'ism, the camera manufacturers are betting on you changing the cameras every one year or so... that`s why they have such a quick release cycle. My canon 600d basely one year old and they are trying to lure me with 70D and 6D...

So, you think the warranty still worth it?

Why do you need to buy overseas ?

Price of old camera will drop when new camera are release :bsmilie:

If you don't need the latest camera, you can get a cheap camera at a very good bargain :bsmilie:

We have a national duty to buy from Singapore camera shops even if it costs more.

Singapore camera shops employ Singaporeans and the shops pay tax to government and thereby it helps to build roads, schools, hospitals, playgrounds etc. :)

In theory you are correct. In reality some of those Singaporeans are real A**holes I'd prefer to be unemployed. I've had some unpleasant dealings with Sim Lim shop people.

One time I went in asking about a camera (can't remember which) and it was a sure sale. I knew what I wanted, only wanted to slightly haggle so I knew they'd get a profit, and he just keeps giving me sales pitch, tells me my camera is no good, pushes another camera onto me, blah blah....what are these people thinking? Not the first time too.

But getting back to TS's original question, I have bought from overseas before and likely will compare prices every time I go overseas too. Things can go wrong, but my experience is they do NOT far more often than they do. Also depends on the price- if not much, then I'm more willing to take the risk.

I do. Very often but only if savings are 20% onwards.

Primarily an Oly user and Oly offers international warranty so no issues.

Anyway have also bought Panasonic stuff (no international warranty) and so far all ok.

Advice is buy on 1st day of trip , do spam and pia test all the way ; any issues always can hammer out for an exchange before u fly back SG. Camera stuff generally quite ok

I wouldn't go over to buy if price difference not much. Unless my friend go there, might ask him to get for me. Like my recent lens, i got it at hk since I didn't been to hk before. But their memory cards also about the same price as here, so, you can forget about it. :)

Post MYR depreciation + SGD appreciation, camera stuff across causeway can be very attractive.

I wouldn't go over to buy if price difference not much. Unless my friend go there, might ask him to get for me. Like my recent lens, i got it at hk since I didn't been to hk before. But their memory cards also about the same price as here, so, you can forget about it. :)

U prob just don't know where to look :) For example, got the same lens with same warranty for 700 in HK while SG RRP was 1149 and street prices were 900

just buy at whatever price is convenient and available to you, make full use of it, this is the best thing you can do to yourself and the gear.

even you can buy only at half price, a quarter price, but what is the point if the gear sit in your dry cabinet all the time, it is still a very expensive white elephant, isn't it?

just buy at whatever price is convenient and available to you, make full use of it, this is the best thing you can do to yourself and the gear.

even you can buy only at half price, a quarter price, but what is the point if the gear sit in your dry cabinet all the time, it is still a very expensive white elephant, isn't it?

True. Got a point there.

We have a national duty to buy from Singapore camera shops even if it costs more.

Singapore camera shops employ Singaporeans and the shops pay tax to government and thereby it helps to build roads, schools, hospitals, playgrounds etc. :)

I hope Sion and the like-mindedness can join in the discussion. Esp so those are in the camera business be it the makers or distributors.

I have noticed for the popular makes like Canon or Nikon, the same kit set or body alone; whether from Amazon US or B&H Photo,the prices are always cheaper than the current prices (whether you converted from U$ to SGD or the other way round) retailing in Singapore.

You have to wait at least 6 months or more depending any new replacement model appear before the Singapore retailing prices same as USA retailing market.

Is USA standard of living much lower than Singapore?

I hope Clubsnap forumers who are in the camera retailing business, can share with us where do your cost go to for every camera you sell. Do your counterparts in US really buy the same brand, same model at a much. much lower price than you do?

Side-track a bit. I am working in a servicing equipment business. We need things like bearings. Sometimes the bearing needs special grease or ball bearings.
Well the quantity is not alot, but at regular basis. Initially I have approached the disty, no help. They said out of their specialty to customise the bearings. I approached the bearing makers. Same reply. Have not done before, small qty blah blah...... In the end we got them from a South Korea trading house. By the way, the bearings were not Korean brand. Including the freight charges still lower than the retailing price of the standard bearings here.

Is South Korea standard of living also lower than Singapore?

After that, I went back to local bearing makers show them what I have. I told them, given the option, I would very much get from Singapore instead. Until now still no news.

Before you guys bash me as a FT; I, born here, schooled here and have completed my 13 year cycle reservist stint and have a family with kids here.

Thank You
EisMann

U prob just don't know where to look :) For example, got the same lens with same warranty for 700 in HK while SG RRP was 1149 and street prices were 900

I checked local street prices before getting at hk and that saving, can allow me to fly over for a trip. :p

I hope Sion and the like-mindedness can join in the discussion. Esp so those are in the camera business be it the makers or distributors.

I have noticed for the popular makes like Canon or Nikon, the same kit set or body alone; whether from Amazon US or B&H Photo,the prices are always cheaper than the current prices (whether you converted from U$ to SGD or the other way round) retailing in Singapore.

You have to wait at least 6 months or more depending any new replacement model appear before the Singapore retailing prices same as USA retailing market.

I hope Clubsnap forumers who are in the camera retailing business, can share with us where do your cost go to for every camera you sell. Do your counterparts in US really buy the same brand, same model at a much. much lower price than you do?

Side-track a bit. I am working in a servicing equipment business. We need things like bearings. Sometimes the bearing needs special grease or ball bearings.
Well the quantity is not alot, but at regular basis. Initially I have approached the disty, no help. They said out of their specialty to customise the bearings. I approached the bearing makers. Same reply. Have not done before, small qty blah blah...... In the end we got them from a South Korea trading house. By the way, the bearings were not Korean brand. Including the freight charges still lower than the retailing price of the standard bearings here.

After that, I went back to local bearing makers show them what I have. I told them, given the option, I would very much get from Singapore instead. Until now still no news.

Before you guys bash me as a FT; I, born here, schooled here and have completed my 13 year cycle reservist stint and have a family with kids here.

Thank You
EisMann

you want the local camera store/agents/distributors to match the price of oversea counterparts because it is so much cheaper over there?
seriously?
well, if you have ways to buy from oversea to save money, please go ahead, nobody is stopping you.

I'm not defending local business, but if they can make decent profit, they will scale down their operation here, or might even pull out,
you can look at those camera/lenses brand they don't have local office/service center to support their users,
is this what we want to see it happen to your favourite brand of camera/lenses?

same example can be use on the company you're working, if your local customers tell your company they can get better and cheaper supply from oversea, they want you to match the price, can your company do as what the customers demand without cutting down the company profit or cutting corners?

anyway, photography is just an hobby to most of you, you people are spending EXTRA cash, if that is so hard for you, do consider other CHEAPER hobby than.

Well.. I think its the market in work. We've seen examples like these.
I read quite a lot, and I like Borders very much. But I cannot justify their price which sometime 50% more than Amazon for the same item.
Only difference is their place which quite cozy to hang around. In the end they close the shop.
Singapore is simply too expensive to operate retail, in particular the space rental and manpower.
The swiss can get away selling watches because its luxury goods. But few would buy Canon or Nikon if its swiss made, much like Leica.
Those who priced themselves out of the market eventually will have to find another business to make money.

Thank You
EisMann

don't regret :bsmilie:

my take is, they should train monkeys to operate the factory's machinery. then all they need to do is buy peanuts and snacks for the simians.

then the cameras will be much cheaper, and in turn the savings are passed on to consumers like us.

how's that :)

Ok chill. We're talking cameras here. Let's not get out of hand here. It's a peaceful discussion. Some prefer to buy overseas coz it's cheaper some people buy it here coz it's convenient and warranty status

Just curious of other's opinion.

I saw a thread on the list of HK camera shops to get from , but i can't get them online right?

Anyway if it's a repeat thread. admin welcome to close this thread.

Ok chill. We're talking cameras here. Let's not get out of hand here. It's a peaceful discussion. Some prefer to buy overseas coz it's cheaper some people buy it here coz it's convenient and warranty status

Just curious of other's opinion.

I saw a thread on the list of HK camera shops to get from , but i can't get them online right?

Anyway if it's a repeat thread. admin welcome to close this thread.

It IS a repeat thread.