Would you bring a compact or DSLR for your holiday with your family?

Would you bring a compact, DSLR or m4/3 camera with you on your family holiday?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed about bringing both - especially for spending time on the beach and throwing frisbees around, maybe better to risk sand in your P&S than in your D3 ;)

Agreed about bringing both - especially for spending time on the beach and throwing frisbees around, maybe better to risk sand in your P&S than in your D3 ;)

yea, very true

but to me it's more of portability, and the pns sure beats D3 in this case.

I don't have a compact anymore. I did enjoy shooting with my PowerShot A520 on my Middle East/Egypt trip and had some great pictures. Now, I'm forced to carry my DSLR around. It travelled with me for my grad trip to the west! Luckily, it is a light body. But the lens and flash make it up for the body's lack of weight. Not easy carrying 2kg of gears on one shoulder, plus water and other essentials, for the whole day.

1 DSLR w 28-300 hyper zoom for catch-all and 1 compact for people to help take for us plus video function as well as moments when clumsy DSLR seems out of place or places where signs of 'No photography' are put up :)

3 family members - 2 DSLR + 1 compact ... so everyone gets to shoot. :bsmilie:

so thoughtful!

i'd take 1 dslr and 2 compacts...

the thought of lugging 2 bodies with me... seems like death:)

1 DSLR w 28-300 hyper zoom for catch-all and 1 compact for people to help take for us plus video function as well as moments when clumsy DSLR seems out of place or places where signs of 'No photography' are put up :)

wah, 28-300 L from canon is a very heavy lens...

i think maybe 18-200 EF-S will be better:)

yup, superzooms come in handy at times.

i make sure my family is suckered into going into one or two locations i really want to go to,

and then i bring my usual "travel setup", i.e. 10-20 + 70-300 + 50mm and k20d (color body).. sometimes k100d ir + kit lens mounted, as well.

can stuff into hadley pro actually. :devil:

wah... so many things! in yoru trusted hadley pro...

you must bring your cams on your holidays, cos when you're back got nice pics to see!

hmm, but i wouldn't bring IR (if i had one)... if only i can sucker my family to go to places I want...:cry:

I bring my DSLR for holiday ever since I bought mine. :)

A lot depends on where we are going. If we are going to, say, a everyday beach, where view is common and danger to equipment is high, I would just bring a compact. But if the family trip is to a very nice/special place, I will bring both the DSLR and the compact. I think everyone thinks this way. There is no default configuration of equipment we will bring whenever we go out with the family.

Last edited:
wah, 28-300 L from canon is a very heavy lens...

i think maybe 18-200 EF-S will be better:)

yup, superzooms come in handy at times.

No no, no money to buy L lenses. Only have a Sigma 28-300 for Sony mount :)

i always bring my filter, 2 lens and a body to overseas trip..if i got spare place, i will bring a tripod along...don wish to regret..most of the time i onli regret when im back in singapore..too heavy,,,

oh, is it for crop or ff?

FF. The lens is quite slow and soft at certain points but overall, it has wide range, is light weight and quite inexpensive.

so thoughtful!

i'd take 1 dslr and 2 compacts...

the thought of lugging 2 bodies with me... seems like death:)

I only lug my D700, my wife take the D90, the pns is my kids :p

But min lens, just a 50mm and a 20mm for D700, a tammy 17-50 for the D90. So just a slip in case for each body will be sufficient. :)

I only lug my D700, my wife take the D90, the pns is my kids :p

But min lens, just a 50mm and a 20mm for D700, a tammy 17-50 for the D90. So just a slip in case for each body will be sufficient. :)

lucky i don't bring so many things...

i only bring my DSLR and compact, or my RF and compact.

my M6 and my 50mm cron or my 28mm cron... but film is another bother...

maybe i should go digi RF, it's way easier to move ard with... and it's digital.

but the price, :cry:

lucky i don't bring so many things...

i only bring my DSLR and compact, or my RF and compact.

my M6 and my 50mm cron or my 28mm cron... but film is another bother...

maybe i should go digi RF, it's way easier to move ard with... and it's digital.

but the price, :cry:

I guess as long as we are happy with the results at the end of the day ... we probably wouldn't mind whatever we brought :p

I guess as long as we are happy with the results at the end of the day ... we probably wouldn't mind whatever we brought :p

yea:)

but i'm very afraid of the weight because in japan i leave for the whole day and only reach home after 10pm, so an RF and a roll of film or two would be good.

and a compact is easy for family shots, with so many pre-programmed modes...

Wife use videocam, son use 40D, daughter use Lumix fz50 and I use my 1Dmk3. Me and son share lenses... 17-40L, 24-70 and 70-200f2.8IS. Plus travel tripod, TCs, EX580mk2 and most important CF cards. Everyone shoot and enjoy holiday. ;p

But I'm the only one to carry all the stuff... :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.