Would u get a 5D now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elixir

Apr 29, 2005
Katong
Just want some opinions from brothers here. Am going to Hong kong this weekend and thinking of picking up an EOS 5D with 24-105mm F4 IS lens kit for $43xx. Have been waiting for the price to become acceptable finally.....

However, over the last two weeks, Nikon has released more info abt the D3 and D300. Honestly, their specs is formidable and the few pics circulating around shows that they have great performance even at higher iso, especially for the D3. Their liveview LCD and self-cleaning sensors are bonus as well.

I know that that 5D is not a direct comparison with Nikon D3 since one is 2 years old and the other is the current technology. But I think this is the "most exciting" time, as Canon has finally real competition challenging its digital lead. I firmly believe that Canon has more technological stuffs up their sleeves and will be unveiling them in the next model to pit against Nikon's. In my opinion, we are going to see a technology and price war soon.

So i am wondering if I should wait again for my purchase of a FF DSLR? Perhaps a EOS 5D MK II..... Do u think the new Canon model will be launched at an astronomical price like the 5D originally? Or will the price be launched at the current 5D price as it is a replacement?

Your opinion will be most appreciated.

5D is like... half the price of D3?
Unless you do sports...

Every time some new cameras appear, someone will say its the "most exciting" time.......

Is there an end to the technology race? Are you buying a photo taking tool or just another piece of technology? If you think you can wait till the next camera, do you need a camera at all??

5D is like... half the price of D3?
Unless you do sports...

This statement clearly justifies that thread starter does not knows what he exactly needs. It is not all about how good or latest a camera is and definitely not about what you want.

This statement clearly justifies that thread starter does not knows what he exactly needs. It is not all about how good or latest a camera is and definitely not about what you want.

Perhaps I am being misunderstood. 5D is near its end of Product Life Cycle now. It's replacement will definitely improve upon its features. Given its price now, do u think the price is attractive?

I am doing photography just for interests. There is no genuine need for a 5d, or matter of fact, even a camera. It's all about wants.

So you have to evaluate. You already recognised that you don't need a 5D, but it's nice to have one. Weigh it out. Could the money be better spent on something else, or would it be even wiser to put it aside for rainy days?

There's always this next camera at horizon. It's reasonable to wait for the 5DII though. Price of 5D will be even lower and if 5DII looks attractive enough...
That's to say you don't really need a camera now.

I think it's advisable to wait. The pre launched model of the 5D mk2 is already being tested by photogs from a local news agency. So my guess is that the 5D mk2 will be out very soon.

Prices of 5D will definitely drop once mk2 is launched.

I think it's advisable to wait. The pre launched model of the 5D mk2 is already being tested by photogs from a local news agency. So my guess is that the 5D mk2 will be out very soon.

Prices of 5D will definitely drop once mk2 is launched.

Totally agree... hang on and wait..... 5D price will drop... and who knows you might change your mind also....

Wait for the release.....

yeah just wait, who knows? Maybe the crave for expensive cameras will be gone by then...
or TS can wait for the 5D mk9, by then, it will have a 100MB sensors and what not technology .... but then, there is always the mk10.

or TS can wait for the 5D mk9, by then, it will have a 100MB sensors and what not technology .... but then, there is always the mk10.

yeah just wait, who knows? Maybe the crave for expensive cameras will be gone by then...

Is there an end to the technology race? Are you buying a photo taking tool or just another piece of technology? If you think you can wait till the next camera, do you need a camera at all??

I really dont know about you guys, but really, this is a trend i've been observing for quite sometime. the TS is just looking for a simple opinion. if you cant be bothered by giving your 2 cents, please, refrain from hitting that reply button!

i mean, look: if i were to be looking for a simple opinion on the equipment path i'd embark upon, the replies from the above quoted posts not only didn't help, but really irritates the hell outta me.

and ironically, it's these senior (or rather higher profile, or just plain irritating, take your pick) members that had been posting such sniggering remarks. i mean, if there's an addiction where by you REALLY cannot control yourself, and HAVE to write something, there's always the Garbage & Testing subforum.

for a start, elixir doesn't sound like an ass to begin with, what has he done to deserve such remarks?

think about that.

My simple answer is this..if you have a camera now that is serving you well..then WAIT. But if you feel that the urge to buy is too great then BUY.

Word of advise, waiting too long for price too drop also equals to lose of usage opportunity. There are different reason why each of us want certain model of camera. This reason alone is enough to buy it once the time and price and revision is correct (revision ? as we all should know the first release model is usual very buggy... electronics in general)

Hope this helps ..

I posted my opinion on this issue in the other thread a while back:

"In the Canon DSLR lineup, 5D was positioned to fill the gap between 20D and 1DMIIN; hence, if there is a replacement for 5D, its price as well as its features should be between that of 40D and 1DMIII. As the current price for 5D is about US$2,349.95, I would expect its replacement, if there is any, should cost around or slightly lower than US$3299--the price tag of 5D when it was first released in 2005. As Nikon D3 is priced at US$4999, it is clear that D3 and Canon 5D are targeted at different market segments, so I would think that the replacement for 5D, if there is any, would not be comparable to Nikon D3; in fact, its replacement is more likely to be a 40D body with a full-frame sensor--5D was criticized to be a 20D with a full frame sensor and a hefty price tag."

Since it's a want, then just wait.

It's better to get something early in the lifecycle (~6mths into the product release), then you have something 'new and current' for longer.

Of course that said, it would mean you'll probably have to wait for a year or more before you get it.

wow...any idea on the specs/quality/noise/WB etc???

Hi DP, since you say that how about you pass my your *D and *DMK**, and i buy you a disposable cam or D60 also can. lol.

It is something the TS want, so he ask if it is good or not, not if he could afford it or not. We all know how many ppl in here are afford a huge ton of stuff like are only "wants" and not "need".

For TS, wait for 5DMKII/7D to come, compare if it is what you may want. Even if it is not, the price of 5D would surly drop more.

If you can not wait, then get it and continue shooting lo.

If you want to buy and use it... why not get a 1d MK2 sh then? guess the price should be similar and you'll get a lot of options... if you just want a new camera then buy a 40d and invest the rest in (good) lenses, afterall this is more important than just the camera body... but is my 2 cents opinion ;-)

The reason why I want to get 5D is because a have a couple of Carl Zeiss lens which I can use with the FF camera. Used to be a Contax SLR user.

i doubt the price for the replacement for 5d would be near the current 5d price. Which means you may end up waiting for it to drop, and when it's deemed decent enough the replacement might be at the end of it's cycle life also. I may be wrong though.

If no rush, just wait for the replacement to come out then.

Status
Not open for further replies.