would image quality suffer if image original size smaller ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

erictan8888

Nov 9, 2004
Singapore
hi,

i notice that the image file size from the D70 is :3008 X 2000 pixels

and if i want to print a S10R, which is 15 inch X 10 inch, that means my image size will be at 4500 X 3000 pixels at 300px/inch

is this what they call increasing the image size and lead to lower quality image ?

also, the problem will be worst if i crop about 2/3 of image and make it at S10R right?
surprising, i do not notice any loss in image when zoom to 200 or 300% when compared to the original image at 400% or so.....

is this impt ? wow... then want to print A3 would mean image is "expanded" even more in size.... when is the limit to increasing the image size?

pls advise.... thanks

erictan8888 said:
hi,

i notice that the image file size from the D70 is :3008 X 2000 pixels

and if i want to print a S10R, which is 15 inch X 10 inch, that means my image size will be at 4500 X 3000 pixels at 300px/inch

3008 X 2000 pixels is the original resolution. If you print 10x15, you get 200 dpi (2000/10 or 3008/15). It's that simple. If you crop to 2/3, you get 2450x1633 and when you print 10x15, you get 163dpi.

If you need something that can give real 300DPI prints at S10R, get a Canon 1Ds Mk II. Even D2X cannot give you that and definitely not the D70.

You can't really create something out of nothing (i.e. upsizing images). The amount of details would still be limited by the original resolution of the image. That said, there are some software/algorithm that "guess" and interpolate better than others and could help with big size prints.

I am also using the D70. Upsize my image to A3 size using the "increase 10%" method, printed on A3 photo paper at 300dpi without seeing any quality problem. :)

I would recommend Genuine Fractals plug-in - have printed A3 from D70 no problem when upsizing using this software. Just don't let anyone get TOO close when they view ;-)

The issue is this, do you need 300 DPI when making large prints? :dunno:

If you're viewing an A3 image, it doesn't make sense to view it from a distance of 15cm~30cm anyway. So who's going to view it up close?

3008 x 2000 @ 200 dpi will suffice for a 10 x 15 job. Nobody's going to go up close to read giant sized posters and or look at large prints. Especially scrutinise the dot pitches for large prints. :bsmilie:

As for A3 from D70, it's a piece of cake, I don't think Geniune Fractals is needed :) It shouldn't have an issue, since I did A3 from my 5mp CoolPix 5700 before.

WillyFoo did a 3m x 2m print from his D2H of 4mp last time too.

espn said:
The issue is this, do you need 300 DPI when making large prints? :dunno:

If you're viewing an A3 image, it doesn't make sense to view it from a distance of 15cm~30cm anyway. So who's going to view it up close?

3008 x 2000 @ 200 dpi will suffice for a 10 x 15 job. Nobody's going to go up close to read giant sized posters and or look at large prints. Especially scrutinise the dot pitches for large prints. :bsmilie:

As for A3 from D70, it's a piece of cake, I don't think Geniune Fractals is needed :) It shouldn't have an issue, since I did A3 from my 5mp CoolPix 5700 before.

WillyFoo did a 3m x 2m print from his D2H of 4mp last time too.
Precisely! Why do you need 300DPI for S10R?

Does anyone here walk up to a display at a bus stop, or the movie poster along Raffles Link and look at their B0 trans (or bigger), sees the pixels, and say "Wah! Lao yah picture! Got pixellation one ah! No good, not pro!" :rolleyes:

For A4 and above, a 250 dpi or lesser will do. In fact, A3+ can take 150-180 dpi since you are not looking at print at arms length, rather, it is mounted.

For uprez, you can do the free "10% increase size repeated" or spend a little on the Fred Miranda action that does the same. The more expensive Geniue Fractal Pro can also be used but I think that unless you are printing hugh prints often professionally, it is not advisable.

All these options are definately far far cheaper than a 1DMkII ;) After all, if you need to print out a A2 picture @ 300 dpi, you would need a 33MP MF digital back! Rather than spend money on equipment needlessly, we should all try to learn to maximize our equipment.

wah 2 white tigers talking..

anyway the answer is yes.

and one clown listening.... ha ha ha ha ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.