Worthwhile to switch cameras from C730 to FZ20?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KSeet

Mar 11, 2003
North East
www.kelvinseet.com
I'm thinking of doing so for a few reasons:

---
Bigger MP

Manual focusing ring

Image Stabiliser

Better quality pictures

Less chromatic aberration

Faster response times
---

But I'm considering these factors:

-------
Non standard batteries

Not much changes, featurewise

Still as noisy at high ISO
-------

Any comments please? Although I would like to upgrade to a 350D, I don't really have the budget for a DSLR.

Should I stick to my C730?

Thanks!

The olypmus ultra zoom cameras are a fine set of cameras.
I also wanted to buy a DSLR but as usual, no buget for it so i settled for the next closest thing, the FZ20. I was considering the olympus C-770 too but the FZ20 had stronger advantages.

- longer optical zoom
- longer batt life
- wonderful LENS
- image Stabiliser (one of the main factors i bought it)works realli well
- Fast response times!!!
- with the supplied lens adapter u can attrach 3rd party filters and lens.
- can attrach any external flash using the hotshoe
- AF assist lamp

Noise is not realli an issue unless u go above iso 200 or 100( for the picky ones) ;)
With an f 2.8 lens thoughout the whole zoom range, i don't think going above iso 100 is necessary.

I agree with you that the use of non-standard batteries (AA) is a disappointment. (good thing the FZ20 doesn't have a problem with batt life!)
If u get third party batts from east gear, it doesnt cost as much as getting a original batt from panasonic. East gear charges $35 for the FZ20 batt, and has a higher capacity too! :D
One batt should be enough for normal use, but i always get a spare in case.

There may not be much changes in the feature set, but they are useful.

As for the question of whether u should change to a FZ20, hmm......if you ask me, its worthwhile. U wouldn't be disappointed in the camera. But its really all up to you.
Hope i helped a little. :)
Take care.

keep what you have and save for a dslr if you want to buy one.
with this incremental change of camera you will never have the budget to get a dslr.

Hmm..that's true. The camera would be a nice little upgrade from the C730 but it would also dent my future budget for a DSLR.

I guess I'll just hold off for a while and see what happens. If I really really really can't take the kind of photos I need with my C730, then I'll just have to see my choices then.

Thanks! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.