Working with RAW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Druid

Aug 14, 2003
East, Singapore
Visit site
I recently started taking pictures in the RAW mode. I understand that it is a lossless format and it's the digital equivalent of colour negative as it allows manipulation of its brightness, colour saturation, hue, etc.

However, I find the software supplied by Canon to work with RAW images rather confusing, and a bit restrictive on the adjustments possible (maybe I really haven't grasp the basics of the software yet).

Anyway, what is the most user-friendly and powerful software for RAW imgaes processing?

Capture ONE DSLR pro from phaseone.Instant viewing of raw pic.Remote capture possible with 1D or 1Ds.Batch process, color temp correction.
Can use trial download to try
Only problem is the pro version is US$499, and the LE is about US$99

C1 only works with 1D, 1Ds, 10D, D30 and D60 at the moment. They don't work with the G series and 300D as yet. However, they are supposedly releasing version 2 very soon that supports all that.

Do a search on the forums for "RAW", I remember someone mentioned that there's a freeware that can process RAW files.

If you want to pay, there's always the Adobe RAW and Jpeg2000 plugin for Photoshop.

Thanks a lot, guys!

Anyway, I've just downloaded and installed the patches for the Canon FileViewerUtility and the ZoomBrowser patches and updated the firmware of my S45.

It says so in the website that FileViewerUtility patch was suppose to solve some of the RAW processing problems...hope it really does.

darkness said:
C1 only works with 1D, 1Ds, 10D, D30 and D60 at the moment. They don't work with the G series and 300D as yet. However, they are supposedly releasing version 2 very soon that supports all that.

Do a search on the forums for "RAW", I remember someone mentioned that there's a freeware that can process RAW files.

If you want to pay, there's always the Adobe RAW and Jpeg2000 plugin for Photoshop.
There is a new version C1 Rebel which supports 300D.

I tried it on my XP computer....really slow...takes several minutes to process and really can't do much. Finally uninstalled it.

There was another person that complained about it in their forum.

Steven

Status
Not open for further replies.