Woodlands Waterfront night shoot

JweiH

Nov 6, 2010
5201861414_4da1ee5aaa_z.jpg

Exif info:

F-18
55 secs
ISO 100

1. in what area is critique to be sought?

Composition, Exposure and flaws.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

To capture the beauty of the scene, and to improve on WA shoots.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

After rain, blocked sunset.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

I personally love the sky color.. Trying out WA shots but at the same time feels that there's too much space in the sky and water.

Will be booking in to camp soon. Might not reply promptly. Thanks for your time guys! :D

Last edited:
My questions for you:

what are you trying to capture here? The lights and the reflections of the lights?

How would all the empty space (blue and dark blue) add to the picture you are trying to create?

How would leaving that tall building so close to the left of the frame be adding to your picture?

Honestly, this picture does not have a subject of interest. Too much land and sea which left the viewer's eyes scrolling all over the picture and found nothing of interest.

I was trying to capture the light of the buildings. Perhaps I should zoom in into one subject like the shopping center itself only??

Now that daredevil123 mention it, i realise that the building is totally redundant. haha.

Now i gues wide angle shot perhaps applies better to view that could cover most of the photo like maybe a nearer or bigger subject or a sea of buildng etc... below.

yes sometimes there's a temptation to sweep as much as possible but then you end up with no particular focus or subject

I was trying to capture the light of the buildings. Perhaps I should zoom in into one subject like the shopping center itself only??

Now that daredevil123 mention it, i realise that the building is totally redundant. haha.

Now i gues wide angle shot perhaps applies better to view that could cover most of the photo like maybe a nearer or bigger subject or a sea of buildng etc... below.

Wide angle works best on creative shots by making full use of the distortion. As what you have mentioned, focus on a near object with layer of background behind to emphasis the depth on the picture to make the picture more interesting. This is the skill which I am still learning.

This really opens up my view on photography. Be sure to show m some of the shots regarding the WA aspect. Have much to learn from you guys :)

I will try again wth other shots when this expires.

PS: The creative shots reminds me of feng shen ban =x

Wide angle works best on creative shots by making full use of the distortion. As what you have mentioned, focus on a near object with layer of background behind to emphasis the depth on the picture to make the picture more interesting. This is the skill which I am still learning.

It is not about using the distortion all the time.

When using a wide angle and especially ultra wide angle, you are bringing in a lot into the frame. Problem is that if space you bring into the frame has nothing, there will be nothing. And whatever is interesting will become very small.

The important thing is to have POI - point of interest. And that POI will have to be strong, or have elements in the photo that supports or lead to that POI.

POI can be anything. can be a foreground interest, can be a far away sun... whatever.. but you have to compose your picture to make it work.

I try to do this as much as I can in my pictures. They are not the best but you can see them here to get an idea: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=741165

Here are some links you all can read up on composition:
http://www.amateursnapper.com/photography/10-top-photography-composition-rules
http://www.digital-photography-school.com/digital-photography-composition-tips
http://www.digital-photography-school.com/10-more-quick-composition-tips-illustrated

Last edited: