Wonderful evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

sehsuan

Deregistered
Dec 12, 2002
Singapore
www.sportsshooter.com
Isn't it amazing that in a space of a couple of years, from crummy built-in lenses, digital cameras have finally evolved so much? Every now and then, some brands still come with crummy plastic lenses that are just plainly functional, but most come with their vendor-specific lenses - like Nikkor/Fujinon - that enhance the out-of-box experience.

Remember the days of super contrasty pictures? Not contrast as in something positive per se, but burnt out photos. The exposure systems in the camera now have become so much better - incredible! From a time when professionals were half-hearted about the possibility of using digital for pro work, to Joe McNally's fully digital cover story for NGC...

Hail Evolution! :rbounce:

i still remember being very facinated over my neighbour's kodak digital cam which offers still captures at 640*480, has the capacity to capture up to 12 frames in its built in memory! amazing! guess it's probably lying at some corner collecting dust in their store room now. i wonder when it'll be my 300d's turn.

I still remember being very impressed by the Kodak DCS460 in early 1996. It's basically a Nikon N90 with a digital back capable of producing 6 megapixel images and a FLM of 1.3x. The thing cost like $40k or so back then.

"Back then" is also the time of 640x480 Sony Mavicas and other $1000++ low res digital cameras. Then we have the 1.5mp cameras, still at rather high prices.

When the 2mp cameras begin to make its appearance, these things begin to rival film P&S cameras in the image quality department. Albeit at a cost. A friend bought an Olympus C2000Z and I was rather impressed by the image quality compared to those sub 2mp ones. I bought a Nikon Coolpix 950 shortly after.

At that time, Nikon released their first DSLR, the D1, which broke the price barrier for DSLRs once held by Kodak and is now "affordable" (well, by the pros at least).

From there, we see all these quickly evolve into very decent and affordable P&S digicams, the more advanced prosumer digicams and even affordable DSLRs now. The future for digital is going to be an exciting one.

Regards
CK

ckiang said:
I still remember being very impressed by the Kodak DCS460 in early 1996. It's basically a Nikon N90 with a digital back capable of producing 6 megapixel images and a FLM of 1.3x. The thing cost like $40k or so back then.

oh my God! that's an incredible price!!! :bigeyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.