Winter preparations for cam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes i think it will fog in the lens. and if u turn on the camera, some water inside may short some circuits.

Isaiahfortythirtyone said:
yes i think it will fog in the lens. and if u turn on the camera, some water inside may short some circuits.

oh.. so can we use the cam immidately after entering a warm place when i place the cam is in a ziplock bag b4 I enter the warmer place?

clarinet said:
oh.. so can we use the cam immidately after entering a warm place when i place the cam is in a ziplock bag b4 I enter the warmer place?

no you cannot, the reason why u put it in a ziplock is so then condensation occurs on the ziplock instead of the cam while the cam slowly defrost inside. once a lens fogs up, it occurs throughout the lens which means the internal elements as well. however this only happens if humidity is high. :)

rebbot said:
no you cannot, the reason why u put it in a ziplock is so then condensation occurs on the ziplock instead of the cam while the cam slowly defrost inside. once a lens fogs up, it occurs throughout the lens which means the internal elements as well. however this only happens if humidity is high. :)

I see.. hmmm, then might miss out some moment shot if I need to use but can't :(

i think i just going to bring my p&s cam instead of my new cam,still got warrenty.
how many cameras in the current market can stand -15 degrees in the cold winter open?

Nikon F80, Contax T3.

both survived around minus 50 degrees. long time out in the open...the lcds froze though

Any kind of camera can survive in the cold. It's a matter of how you handle the camera, the precautions you take etc. Even if you bring mechanical camera eg Nikon FM-2, it may not have problems with batteries (except for the metering which use a small battery), but you still have to deal with film problem (film become bitter at cold temp).

So there's already no point in saying your XXX or YYY camera survived the cold... Ha.

Stefen said:
condensation is a pretty irritating thing. even with the ziploc, it take a while for the temperature to equalize. that is when you end up missing up all the shots. in times like this, i rather rub the lens with my gloves while taking that crucial shot in a warmer environment..

You mean to say that you endorse actually WIPING the LENS with your glooves??:think:

Wouldn't that spoil in the coating of the lens in any ways? I always hear ppl telling me not to touch the lens..so how?:dunno:

Does anyone know if wiping the condensation off the lens with your hands is harmful to the multi-coatings of the lens?

Never clean the glass. Clean the filters, filters are replaceable.

Came back from 0 degree in Japan, snowing, battery survived 3 days, I didn't use any warmers for the camera, just hang it around my neck and walk with hands in my jacket :bsmilie:

I just keep the cam into the bag when not in use, even when going into warm places like restaurants, I just put the cam on the table. No condensation nothing. Nothing much to worry. :D

exhibitj said:
Does anyone know if wiping the condensation off the lens with your hands is harmful to the multi-coatings of the lens?

It poses a risk, but a very small risk. The main danger is that you might swirl some abrasive particle across the lens. Using bare hands is not a very useful thing to do, though, because you'll just push the water around on the surface and add some sweat/skin oil to the mix.

Something soft and absorbent, e.g. cotton cloth (T-shirt) or tissue paper, works very well. (Unless you're using a decades-old lens from the earliest days of coating - initially there were some problems with the coating not sticking too well to the glass.)

I think somewhere else in this thread someone was worried that it might get colder than 15C in Tokyo. If you happen to own a Japanese camera, it was developed in and built for this kind of climate. Cameras probably suffer much more in Singapore's hot&humid air (why else are so many people byuing silica gel and dry cabinets?).

espn said:
Never clean the glass. Clean the filters, filters are replaceable.

Came back from 0 degree in Japan, snowing, battery survived 3 days, I didn't use any warmers for the camera, just hang it around my neck and walk with hands in my jacket :bsmilie:

I just keep the cam into the bag when not in use, even when going into warm places like restaurants, I just put the cam on the table. No condensation nothing. Nothing much to worry. :D

thats it i'm not bring any camera to japan anymore both of my P&S cannot stand up to 6 to -15 degrees and i don't wanna pay any sum for repairs back in sg.cause my friend bought her cam there couldn't work,bought back to sg pay a sum for repairs.

woa your camera must have a all weather body is zit?

Simon_84 said:
thats it i'm not bring any camera to japan anymore both of my P&S cannot stand up to 6 to -15 degrees and i don't wanna pay any sum for repairs back in sg.cause my friend bought her cam there couldn't work,bought back to sg pay a sum for repairs.

woa your camera must have a all weather body is zit?
My sister brought her CoolPix S4 along, she was using it but she kept it warm in her sweater when she's not using it. My friend's Canon A80 and another friend's CoolPix 5700 worked all nicely in the sub-zero temperatures, even when it was snowing hard. Nothing really to worry.

My camera lousy one... no weather body... but who cares.. just enjoy the trip and just shoot. :lovegrin: I miss the snow I encountered, was freezing without gloves but no choice, want to take picture is like that one. Hee.

I kena rain, sun and snow during my trip to Japan last week. :)

exhibitj said:
You mean to say that you endorse actually WIPING the LENS with your glooves??:think:

Wouldn't that spoil in the coating of the lens in any ways? I always hear ppl telling me not to touch the lens..so how?:dunno:

Its the decision between protecting your lens, and taking that shot of your lifetime.

Having said that, one can probably wait a bit longer for the condensation to subside, unless the scenerio is like someone giving birth in a heated room.

I endorse using your camera, even if it results in rapid degration. Afterall, we buy cameras to use them or protect them?

Status
Not open for further replies.