Winter Landscape in Inner Mongolia with the M240

nsng

Feb 28, 2004
nns555.zenfolio.com
Last December, I joined a group of photographers on a trip to Inner Mongolia to shoot the winter landscape. The location was Bashang, about 300km north of Beijing. This is the grassland region, except in winter the temperature can drop to as low as -35 C! Fortunately, the lowest temperature we experienced was only -25 C. My breath iced up my glasses and the M240 LCD! But the M240 kept working, except for one lock-up towards the end-of a session. However, the M8 did not fare well. It could not trigger after 20 minutes despite indicating a full charge. The lenses I brought along included the WATE, 21mm Elmarit-Asph, 28mm 'Cron Asph, 35mm 'Lux Asph, 90AA and the 35-70mm VE and 180 Apo-Elmarit-R and a Gitzo traveller tripod. The last two lenses were converted back to their original R mounts from leitax alpha mounts. I changed from the DMR to the Sony A850 about 4 years ago. The 850 served me well, but with the M240 I can now used these R lenses, but in some circumstances not the best solution. This has been a most interesting and certainly the coldest trip I have ever taken. But the winter landscape is fascinating and I must here thank Xing Asia for organizing such a trip.

Here are some photos from this trip,

]
L1001018_editednew.jpg

L1001009-_1_new1-.jpg

L1001016crop.jpg

L1001162rev1.jpg

More to follow.

beautiful shots.

I almost joining the same group as you to this trip, but end up did not make it,
please share more photos and the expereince shooting in this kind of enviroment.

Nice! Need to travel more...

beautiful shots.

I almost joining the same group as you to this trip, but end up did not make it,
please share more photos and the expereince shooting in this kind of enviroment.
I think I would bring two cameras if I were shooting this environment! There's really no telling how digital cameras will react in such a situation.

Thanks for sharing. They are beautiful.

For the M240, I brought along 3 batteries and 2 chargers. I have a half case for the M240 as well as a thicker than usual lcd protector. I have thermal heat packs, but these did not work very well. Do not get those from Daiso. They are practically useless. To protect the cameras, I have the Leica neoprene cases for both the M240 and M8. For each shooting session, I always used fresh battery and blanK SD card. I find the Sandisk Extreme Pro to be very reliable.

It is best to have a back-up body. The M8 was my back-up, but it did not perform well in the cold environment. Several other cameras have issues ranging from sluggish response, short battery life, lock-up, etc. No manufacturer will guarantee the performance in such cold environment. Here is a link to photos fro, this trip, http://nns555.zenfolio.com/winter-inner-mongolia A few photos here,

L1001042new.jpg

L1001456.jpg

L1001076.jpg

L1001225-_1_BW-.jpg

L1001243bw.jpg

The last image is of an old man, I met while shooting in a remote village. He invited me to visit his house. In this village of about 300 people, he and his son own 80 sheep. Despite being remote, this village has electricity, running water and even cell phone signal.

For the M240, I brought along 3 batteries and 2 chargers. I have a half case for the M240 as well as a thicker than usual lcd protector. I have thermal heat packs, but these did not work very well. Do not get those from Daiso. They are practically useless. To protect the cameras, I have the Leica neoprene cases for both the M240 and M8. For each shooting session, I always used fresh battery and blanK SD card. I find the Sandisk Extreme Pro to be very reliable.

The M240 definitely do well in this exceptionally cold winter. I brought mine to Chicago earlier this month during the Polar Vortex where temperature is 20 to 30 below zero, snowing and I experienced no lockup.

Nice.

Also almost joined the trip - looks like its back on my calender again for the year end if Michael is doing it again !

Nice.

Also almost joined the trip - looks like its back on my calender again for the year end if Michael is doing it again !

will you be the 1st one to register if there is one at Dec 2014 ?

come to think of it, -30 degrees is quite crazy.
If you dont mind sharing how do you deal with shooting in this kind of weather conditions? I dont think you can stay outdoor for too long right?

Very nice!