Windows Vista problem...anyone can advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roygoh

Jan 18, 2002
Northwest
Visit site
Hi,

I have a Dell PC (Inspiron 530 with Intel quad core processor) running Vista Home Basic.

Today I turned on my PC and found that the mouse and keyboard stopped working. I tried another USB mouse and Vista responded by asking for installation disc for unknown devices. Seems like something wiped out Vista's native mouse and keyboard drivers.

In that state I could not do anything on the PC. Booting in safe mode does not help. I tried booting from the Vista DVD provided with the PC, but only got 2 options...restore to an earlier date or re-install windows altogether.

Tried to restore to last week;s configuration but that still did not help.

I guess I would have to re-install Vista, but would really like to be able to back up my documents on teh C drive, which is not possible now unless I tear the drive out and put it in a USB casing. That is too much trouble I am willing to go through for now.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
-Roy

downgrade to xp better.

Were you using a wireless or wired vesion for both keyboard and mouse? If you have not tried it yet...maybe you have mouse at least that plug into the PS2 slots instead of USB. What I heard was some recent updates patch for vista cause the mouse and keyboard to stop working and when you plug in a new mouse via the USB, it ask for the installation disk or driver for the mouse. What I read was the PS2 slot still let the mouse and keyboard respond still. Might be a good way to try this and then back up your stuff and re install vista...if you have not tried it yet.

Also...sometime very easy to forget but have you check the batteries for both your mouse and keyboard? heheh I had that happen before. It was so simple tat I overlooked it heh

Your best bet may be calling Dell tech support. That's what you paid for, right?

Don't use Vista...........actually NEVER EVER use VISTA.......still plenty of programs and software is not up to date yet.......although they claim to be.

XP Pro is still the way to go. Just call DELL and say VISTA sucks......big time. Demand for a change and they will sent you an original copy of XP. That's how I got my XP Pro when they pre install VISTA on my wifey's laptop.

So now I have 2 legal copies for both OS.....hehe......

something bork ur drivers or ur config files.

could try using a linux live cd to get ur data out.
not 100% guanrantee but worth a try.

Thanks for all the replies!

1. Yes, I emailed Dell and their advice was to re-install the OS
2. The wireless mouse and KB has good batteries
3. Even USB wired mouse does not work.
4. I am thinking of going back to XP. Thanks for the tip on requesting it from Dell.

Vista Home Basic has been really problematic for me. For example, the most annoying problem is I cannot delete some files. I ocassionally would back up my DVDs onto my hard drive. When I need to delete the directory containing the DVD files, one of the VOB files will always not be deleted. It even tells me I need permission to do that. I am the only user and the administrator on my machine, so who do I need permission from? Bill Gates?

The funny thing is the solution I finally found was to install a third party software called "Unlocker". Everytime I cannot delete a file, I will invoke unlocker and it will show that the file is locked by Windows explorer itself.

I also do not like the way it is protecting my PC from myself. So many clicks to confirm stuff like delete files, install programs stc...

Finally, it takes longer to get connected to my home wireless network when it wakes up from sleep or from cold boot. My XP machine connects much faster.

Sigh...

Status
Not open for further replies.