Windows 8 - who needs silly big tiles on the screen?

If it can be permanently disabled, then all might not be lost yet...

But nothing is making me move out of my windows 7 anytime soon.. I have only just abandoned the XP earlier this year.

you cant swtch to classic UI, you need to buy 3rd party software.. Heard of StarDock?

http://www.stardock.com/

anyway, no hurry to switch so fast...wait for sp1 or or even sp2.

Last edited:
Love Win7... won't be 'upgrading' unless Diablo IV can't run on Win7 in the future.... :bsmilie:

ninelives said:
you cant swtch to classic UI, you need to buy 3rd party software.. Heard of StarDock?

http://www.stardock.com/

anyway, no hurry to switch so fast...wait for sp1 or or even sp2.

Imo, maybe gg for windows 8 if really have to pay to get old interface back...

diver-hloc said:
Love Win7... won't be 'upgrading' unless Diablo IV can't run on Win7 in the future.... :bsmilie:

Jay wilson killed diablo... I doubt I will be looking at this franchise unless the lead is replaced with someone more competent.

As a Microsoft partner my company has access to win8 and my team of engineers have been using it for over 2 months.

Guess what? The most used shortcut key is "win+D" which is to switch to desktop mode. Performance is good but seriously it takes more steps to do the same task (compared to Win7).

On the side note Office 2013 is fantastic!

As a Microsoft partner my company has access to win8 and my team of engineers have been using it for over 2 months.

Guess what? The most used shortcut key is "win+D" which is to switch to desktop mode. Performance is good but seriously it takes more steps to do the same task (compared to Win7).

On the side note Office 2013 is fantastic!

yep same here been using Win8 and Office 2013 for sometime now and using the RTM version so mine is one that will end up in the CD unless there's last minute changes e.g Service Packs etc. I like The new Windows Internet Explorer its fast and fluid same as Win8 UI its smooth and fluid. Its takes me a day or two to get my self familiarize but that's normal as Win8 has a huge change from the old UI that was there since Win3.0 lolz... I had the same problen when I transition from Office 2003/7 to 2010 the ribbon menu puts me off but after sometimes I learn to use it :)

So far touch wood no major issue I've seen :)

Last edited:
on a side note open source is even more fantastic.

on a side note open source is even more fantastic.

Open source isn't for everybody. I play games and last I check, a good chunk of the games I am playing don't run on open source OS. Not that fantastic to me now is it?

Evilmerlin said:
Open source isn't for everybody. I play games and last I check, a good chunk of the games I am playing don't run on open source OS. Not that fantastic to me now is it?

Open source is good but sadly not much support with manufacturer and game makers thats one issue with open source.

Interesting. I wanted to try window 8, but fear on the learning curve.
I have a wacom touch. Does it support the touch function?

does your device needs stylus to work or you can use your fingers? if both then Win8 is great with fingers lolz to me I normally uses both fingers/mouse and keyboard (hard keyboard) in a tight area like train and plane touch UI is good easy for you to use your laptop specially if you dont have a mouse :)

Try it learning curve varies from person to person :)

yep same here been using Win8 and Office 2013 for sometime now and using the RTM version so mine is one that will end up in the CD unless there's last minute changes e.g Service Packs etc. I like The new Windows Internet Explorer its fast and fluid same as Win8 UI its smooth and fluid. Its takes me a day or two to get my self familiarize but that's normal as Win8 has a huge change from the old UI that was there since Win3.0 lolz... I had the same problen when I transition from Office 2003/7 to 2010 the ribbon menu puts me off but after sometimes I learn to use it :)

So far touch wood no major issue I've seen :)

I am now using a Thinkpad T400 on XP. The start up time is almost 2min, which is Very, Very slow compared with many of those new machines with double quick start up.

That is why I am considering upgrading all the way to Win8. But according to the service centre guy, there might be a problem with the drivers for the network card, the video card or some other stuff.

I dun wanna to abandon this solid and reliable workhorse. I am not that IT savvy. Maybe, I could seek the help of the service centre to do the upgrade to Win8. Not sure if it is just a matter of downloading the Win8 and just follow the instructions. Somewhat risky to me.

Yeah yeah, look at this video when iPhone 1 was released. I could imagine: "iPhone 1: Who needs a $500 phone after plan subsidies"? I won't be so quick to dismiss anything new today. :bsmilie:

[vid]eywi0h_Y5_U[/vid]

If Windows 8 can allow me to sync user profiles, apps and data across all my devices, they have got me. I hate having to customized profiles, install apps, copy data on all my devices so they look the same.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Same for server OS and Office packages....I not only hate Win 8 but hate MS as a whole, they are so good at trading efficiency for deficient that using their software is no longer a joy now....so where is Google desktop when we need them the most? ;(

Yeah yeah, look at this video when iPhone 1 was released. I could imagine: "iPhone 1: Who needs a $500 phone after plan subsidies"? I won't be so quick to dismiss anything new today. :bsmilie:
Well, it's Micro$oft that we are talking about....so, almost anything is possible... Taking for example, Windows Vista...

Same for server OS and Office packages....I not only hate Win 8 but hate MS as a whole, they are so good at trading efficiency for deficient that using their software is no longer a joy now....so where is Google desktop when we need them the most? ;(

I remember the period of time (Transit from 2003 to 2007) I have to Google for almost every damn functions in MS Excel and Word.... Things are so wonderfully camouflage in the ribbons. And for the Google Desktop, most of what Google offers are in their "cloud" already.... And the Google Laptop (Chromebook) is coming out soon for US$250...This Chromebook boots up into Chrome Browser :)

I am now using a Thinkpad T400 on XP. The start up time is almost 2min, which is Very, Very slow compared with many of those new machines with double quick start up.

Clean registry. Defrag hard drives. Clean unneeded temp files. Control your startup items. Kill the unneeded cookies.

New machines start up fast because the junk has not yet piled up from use.

If you use SSD, maybe a bit faster start up.

Some "fast" start ups are fakes. They just allow some essential software to load first. So you thought fast. The other stuff are loading slowly in the background.

Well, it's Micro$oft that we are talking about....so, almost anything is possible... Taking for example, Windows Vista...

I remember the period of time (Transit from 2003 to 2007) I have to Google for almost every damn functions in MS Excel and Word.... Things are so wonderfully camouflage in the ribbons. And for the Google Desktop, most of what Google offers are in their "cloud" already.... And the Google Laptop (Chromebook) is coming out soon for US$250...This Chromebook boots up into Chrome Browser :)

And the chromebook is also good as a paperweight without Internet.

I got confused when I read through the upgrade program for Window 8.
I built my system and installed a OEM Window 7 two years ago.
By right I am not eligible for the Window 8 upgrade for within the mentioned period.
Can I buy the software and upgrade the system?

does your device needs stylus to work or you can use your fingers? if both then Win8 is great with fingers lolz to me I normally uses both fingers/mouse and keyboard (hard keyboard) in a tight area like train and plane touch UI is good easy for you to use your laptop specially if you dont have a mouse :)

Try it learning curve varies from person to person :)

My tablet has a touchpad function. It work as a touch screen for my desktop.

Nah... Microsoft is an exception. Unless suddenly they announce that they are going to rebuild the OS from scratch.... then I'll hold my breath.