Windows 8.1 sucks...

You need DOS drivers to link up all those devices. Remember to use HIMEM for drivers to conserve lower memory for program. :bsmilie:

And memmaker.

After so many years of using Microsoft, I leart one thing: Microsoft screws you over again and again. Ctrl+Alt+Del.

And yet we keep coming back for more... ;)

I switched over to Ubuntu Linux. never looked back. approx 100% virus proof.

Fast and no bloatware. Very stable system. almost NEVER crash...

Unfortunately (or fortunately?) it is also Game-proof. I don't like WINE or other VM/Emulators either...

Same goes to Ms if they are less greedy. Imo Win XP is by far the best OS that Ms had, but they decided to kill it.

For me Win 7 is the best, faster and more stable than XP. I only play a bit with 8.x, but I think its quite promising.

I switched over to Ubuntu Linux. never looked back. approx 100% virus proof.

Fast and no bloatware. Very stable system. almost NEVER crash...

Unfortunately (or fortunately?) it is also Game-proof. I don't like WINE or other VM/Emulators either...

Yeah its tempting, but no Photoshop for linux yet :)

Actually my problem with Linux is that its too fragmented to have anything stable or sustainable.
Maybe with the exception of Redhat. I think OSX is the best bet if you want to go to *nix route.
Hardware is another matter.. but I'm tempted to build a Hackintosh.

I want to be unique. Let's do it the other way round.
Keen to join my IT team?

i am working in a hosting company, we got thousand of VMs, hundred of servers, thousand of domains, ten of thousand of email accounts, all kind of OS,windows, linux, bsdi,vps, plesk,parellel etc... if your company is smaller yet pay higher, why not????

Last edited:
bought new laptop. upgraded to 8.1 then fed up, reformat to win7.

I have followed their instruction, that is what I have been trying to convey. However, if you find that it work for you, then be happy and use your win 8.1. The fact is that it don't work for me, so I sent this as a warning to all. And from the net, you can see there are quite a bit of people who couldn't get it working... so there.

It is not obvious in your postings that the uninstall of the Intel or Nvidia VGA drivers before upgrading to Windows 8.1 doesn't help. Thanks for the clarification.

Windows 8 was ok.

I am getting Wifi problems with 8.1 and I'm not the only one. Apparently 8.1 makes you have to connect manually to the Wifi everytime you start up, even if you've selected "connect automatically". :rolleyes: