Windows 10 Available For Download

thanks for the info.
downloaded, will try when got time :)

As to why there is no Windows 9...

R/Technology Subreddit said:
Microsoft dev here, the internal rumours are that early testing revealed just how many third party products that had code of the form

Code:
if(version.StartsWith("Windows 9"))
{ /* 95 and 98 */
} else {

and that this was the pragmatic solution to avoid that.

- Originally posted by Cranbourne
... seems like possible conflict issues.

Search code for if(version,startswith("windows 9").

Last edited:
Hope its more like Win7 than Win8...

It is I think; the start menu is back and the metro UI will only activate if you are on a tablet I think (it looks like they will ask you if you want to switch to it)...will test it out soon

It is I think; the start menu is back and the metro UI will only activate if you are on a tablet I think (it looks like they will ask you if you want to switch to it)...will test it out soon

Thxs... Noted.

I really dislike the interface of Win 8... which I believe its so that they need only make one version for both PC and Tablet. I may be old fashion here... but I rather have the good old interface of Win XP/7 then those horror of Win 8.

Yeah, just installed Win10 in my Win 8 PC now.
Confirm: Start button is back :)

Yeah start menu looks like a combination of Win 7 and Metro tiles. If you don't want the Metro tiles in the Start menu, you can unpin all of the live tiles.

nuqposV.png

Last edited:
Yeah start menu looks like a combination of Win 7 and Metro tiles. If you don't want the Metro tiles in the Start menu, you can unpin all of the live tiles.

40884125926bbbff817defaa1cf6b754549abedca9073d6c6924c0fb25bf0a9db50b17d8c01b5c6080d4e6a86eced80b98776b05c5d80160.php

I like metro and am glad it was not entirely retired.. even for the PC. Already downloaded. Can't wait to install version 10 on an alternate PC to give it a whirl.

I like metro and am glad it was not entirely retired.. even for the PC. Already downloaded. Can't wait to install version 10 on an alternate PC to give it a whirl.

yah, metro screen wasn't that bad. i am using it. Live tile can be useful.

yah, metro screen wasn't that bad. i am using it. Live tile can be useful.
Yup, that's why I like how they do it now. You have it if you want, but you can remove them if you don't

What happened to Windows 9 ?

Are they doing this so that I cannot perform an in-place upgrade over Windows Vista/7/8 ?

Yup.. with the window key on your keyboard just press to get to metro page and press again to get back to window desktop. In metro I set up to have updates for news, sports and other apps directed to various updates news or articles... at a glance I see all. how cool is that.

People hate change. That is the main reason. I can understand that.After so long windows was doing what it did as a interface I thought the metro was a good move forward. I seldom use the start button to be honest. I have all my favorite programs, apps and function all layout on my desktop screen or by key stroke short but. It does not get anymore easier.

But people hate change. They like everything to be the same except mistresses. LOL

What happened to Windows 9 ?

Are they doing this so that I cannot perform an in-place upgrade over Windows Vista/7/8 ?

I am using 8.1 and window 10 will be given to me free but what has that got to do with upgrading from 8 to 10 DUH. You mean OS programs MUST run and be upgraded in numerical sequence or it will not work??????!!!!!! hahahahahah....

Yup.. with the window key on your keyboard just press to get to metro page and press again to get back to window desktop. In metro I set up to have updates for news, sports and other apps directed to various updates news or articles... at a glance I see all. how cool is that.

To each his own I guess. I find live tiles pretty distracting and I'm not sure how much extra power/resources they use, but I'm pretty sure they do use some, and you sacrifice battery life if you're using Windows on a mobile device. I like the start menu a lot because it gives me fast access to everything I need. I just press start, key in the first few letters of my program and launch it.

I also don't like how you had to dive into menus to shut down your computer...it seemed pretty unintuitive. I had to google to find out how to shut down the computer, which is pretty dumb. Even Linux doesn't do that to you.

To each his own I guess. I find live tiles pretty distracting and I'm not sure how much extra power/resources they use, but I'm pretty sure they do use some, and you sacrifice battery life if you're using Windows on a mobile device. I like the start menu a lot because it gives me fast access to everything I need. I just press start, key in the first few letters of my program and launch it.

I also don't like how you had to dive into menus to shut down your computer...it seemed pretty unintuitive. I had to google to find out how to shut down the computer, which is pretty dumb. Even Linux doesn't do that to you.

I respect that man. But on the shut down part.... very simple.. something I have done since XP days at least... Press keys Alt-F4 on the desktop screen . It does not get any more easier heheh