Will you buy 10-22 if you have 18-55 lens?

Im a happy owner of 10 22...
hehehe
and i dnt have general zoom lens
10 22 + sigma 50 150 only...

10 22 is my general purpose lens.
hahahaha

Both have their uses. Mainly bokeh. 10-22 have practically no bokeh, using an UWA is like shooting with a P&S that's a little wider than usual nia.

Once you start shooting, be it landscape or anything, friends will start asking you to cover for their events... birthday parties and so on. They don't really care whether you are a landscape photographer or not, to them it's all the same. In this case, a 18-55 will be your main lens...

Actually if you just started out, I won't get the 10-22 first even if you love landscape. You need the filters and tripod first, and they dont come cheap. Hoya NDx400 or Lee Big Stopper, with GND 3 stops will be a staple in your bag. 18mm is wide enough liao. If you think it's not wide enough, than do paranormal (you need a good tripod first) and wow your friends.

Last edited:
Actually if you just started out, I won't get the 10-22 first even if you love landscape. You need the filters and tripod first, and they dont come cheap. Hoya NDx400 or Lee Big Stopper, with GND 3 stops will be your staple in your bag. 18mm is wide enough liao. If you think it's not wide enough, than do paranormal and wow your friends.

If you had just started out, u should not be talking about ND filters, moreover u are talking about a 9 and 10 stop ND.
Get your basics right first before you even play with the NDs.

GND and Tripod, yes.

My suggestion is join outings and make friends to see if anyone owns the 10-22. Test and see if it is what you need and is it in anyway restricting what you like to shoot.
Usually the 18mm should be wide enough, though i must say 10mm and 18mm makes quite a bit of difference, my personal feel.

Alternatively, you can spend a bit of money to rent the lens and test it out for a day shooting what you always wanted to/like to shoot but felt the 18mm was not wide enough.
Review your shots, and if it is proven you are being restricted by the 18mm for what you like to shoot, then you can go ahead and get it.

But do take note that having a sturdy tripod, and possibly getting a GND should be your top priority. Assuming you are into landscape shooting.

Last edited:
If you had just started out, u should not be talking about ND filters, moreover u are talking about a 9 and 10 stop ND.
Get your basics right first before you even play with the NDs.

GND and Tripod, yes.

Basics should be learnt with a decent walkaround range, like the 18-55 and not with an UWA... there's not much basic to be learnt with a UWA, apart from the rule of third. With a walkaround, the user can learn about bokeh also... other slightly advanced composition style like symmetry comes way after that...

Once the fundamentals are done, then if the passion is in landscape, the next step should be filters and tripod liao and still not a UWA...

UWA should come last...

Last edited:
Basics should be learnt with a decent walkaround range, like the 18-55 and not with an UWA... there's not much basic to be learnt with a UWA, apart from the rule of third. With a walkaround, the user can learn about bokeh also... other slightly advanced composition style like symmetry comes way after that...

Once the fundamentals are done, then if the passion is in landscape, the next step should be filters and tripod liao and still not a UWA...

UWA should come last...

May i ask from where did you see me saying "basics should be learn with UWA" ?

My reply to you, for the basics part is refering to your use of 9 and 10 stop NDs.

My reply to TS for the UWA part, is in reply to his question whether "to buy 10-22 if you have 18-55" ?

Please do read properly.

FYI - I already have a good tripod but not a good filters. (Tanya filters)

Last edited:

UWA should come last...

Please see my shoot. It may not be best.

Facebook <-- Click the link thanks

Anyway, I been shooting for at least 6 month and I think I need a uwa lens!

Last edited:
Both have their uses. Mainly bokeh. 10-22 have practically no bokeh, using an UWA is like shooting with a P&S that's a little wider than usual nia.

Once you start shooting, be it landscape or anything, friends will start asking you to cover for their events... birthday parties and so on. They don't really care whether you are a landscape photographer or not, to them it's all the same. In this case, a 18-55 will be your main lens...

Actually if you just started out, I won't get the 10-22 first even if you love landscape. You need the filters and tripod first, and they dont come cheap. Hoya NDx400 or Lee Big Stopper, with GND 3 stops will be a staple in your bag. 18mm is wide enough liao. If you think it's not wide enough, than do paranormal (you need a good tripod first) and wow your friends.

Oh my goodness... what did they put in your drink?

Wow, I've learn a lot here ,just got my 600d few days ago and thinking getting the 10-22 for landscape. But after reading this thread, guess I need to hone my skill first. ;p anyway kit lens 18-55 taking landscape can't be that bad right??

Wow, I've learn a lot here ,just got my 600d few days ago and thinking getting the 10-22 for landscape. But after reading this thread, guess I need to hone my skill first. ;p anyway kit lens 18-55 taking landscape can't be that bad right??

With proper techniques and post processing skills, you can still wow your viewers even if it's kit lens :) Happy Shooting

imo, A kit lens is the most wonderful piece of equipment you've owned until you discovered the flaws of it and cannot stand it anymore :bsmilie:

Last edited:
I got a 10-22 about 4 months after i got my first canon dslr. It was the 2nd lens i bought. The range of 10 to 14mm allows me to stretch the scene. (using my own term... Pls correct me if wrong) I can use an interesting forground to lead into the intended background, giving it a vast and wide look. The 18mm limit of the kit lens was not able to exaggerate this effect.

If you need the 16, 20 & 24mm range ( equil to FF) , than the 10-22 is a good buy. Otherwise the the kit lens is good enough.

I only got my 10-22 after a year of shooting. The first time I use it shooting was on the KTM tracks. I love it.

But I will strongly suggest you rent it first. 10-22 will have a lot of unwant objects from all corners, including you own shadow. It require sometime to get use to it.

It also quite handy when you want to shoot events, lifting up the camera and you can easily capture the whole hall in your view.

For me I am a outdoor toy shooter so it helps to capture both things together. I still use my 18-55, but lesser. Other than no IS (during low light condition + handheld), and some distrotion (which can't be help in UWA) The lens is becoming my walkabout lens now.

Wrong, 10-22mm although being a ultra wide angle lens do produce out of focus area in your photo... you must learn your DOF first.

Why do you want to care what your friends wanted from you? You make your own decision, if your friend ask you to cover for their events, and you feel that you do not have what it takes to do that, then forget it... just tell them no. And not limit yourself to a certain lens while forgoing your passion.

Bro, UWA is not just for taking landscape. People use them for many genre of photography, one of them being landscape. Other usage includes, streets, architecture and some even use it for wildlife (btw, you don't always need to use a telelens for wildlife). And in the past, I would agree that panorama is a good way to go if you do not have wide enough a lens... but seriously, it is not enough. The lighting at different angles are different, you just won't get the same effect as using a real UWA...

What you say is true... 18-55mm can be use for landscape. It is a great general purpose lens, and you can use it to do many genre of photography.

In actual fact, you don't really need a UWA for landscape, however, a UWA is not only good for landscape (just food for thought).

A recent event I attended all done with 10-22mm

AFA 11 - a set on Flickr

If you play around in certain angles you can have some interesting shoots also =) But since the view is wild, sometimes you won't even notice you are really close to the object.

IMO, u'll likely need the 10-22 as it's uses are pretty broad. Landscapes, events, videos. It light, sharp, compact.