will photography ever die out?

PAPER 1 (90 minutes)

"Will photography ever die out?"

will it ever die to video?

will it die like donut craze, bubble tea craze (although got koi and gong cha revival), popcorn craze (which must, inevitably, die too?)

will it die one day when e-books finally take over physical print?

Discuss, giving relevant historical, technological examples to support your argument. (25 marks)

Photography will be extinct as everybody owns a handphone capable of 12MP photos.

Photography will become handphony which is nothing more than a social interchange of digital imagery.

The serious arty-farty photographers will turn to the cave dwelling days of painting on cave walls with a sensitised emulsion made by Fujifilm that glows in the dark. More people will live in caves as there isn't enough land to built more HDB flats. And of course our population will grow by tenfold as there is nothing much you can do living in a cave.

Welcome to the cameraless future. What you wear around your neck is not a Nikon or Canon but a national ID swipe card that contains your bio, political affliliation, fatishes, previous history of camera club memberships and what you post in online photo forums.

Police intelligence is so smart that you'll be arrested for thinking of shooting from below a XMM climbing a tree before actually doing it. It's call premeditated crime and such thought process can be detected through a inplant chip behind your left brain. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Last edited:
Photography will be extinct as everybody owns a handphone capable of 12MP photos.

Photography will become handphony which is nothing more than a social interchange of digital imagery.

The serious arty-farty photographers will turn to the cave dwelling days of painting on cave walls with a sensitised paint made by Fujifilm that glows in the dark. More people will live in caves as there isn't enough land to built more HDB flats. And of course our population will grow by tenfold as there is nothing much you can do living in a cave.

Welcome to the cameraless future. What you wear around your neck is not a Nikon or Canon but a national ID swipe card that contains your bio, political affliliation, fatishes, previous history of camera club memberships and what you post in online photo forums.

Police intelligence is so smart that you'll be arrested for thinking of shooting from below a XMM climbing a tree before actually doing it. It's call premeditated crime and such thought process can be detected through a inplant chip behind your left brain. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

i give u 24/25.

:bsmilie:

PAPER 1 (90 minutes)

"Will photography ever die out?"

will it ever die to video?

will it die like donut craze, bubble tea craze (although got koi and gong cha revival), popcorn craze (which must, inevitably, die too?)

will it die one day when e-books finally take over physical print?

Discuss, giving relevant historical, technological examples to support your argument. (25 marks)

Why would photography die when the first instance of a video is still a still photograph ?

as many have pointed out, there are certain aspects of human culture that have existed for a long time, while being technologically refreshed in terms of content and presentation.

visual arts in general... paintings and other forms of expression... as well as music... dance... theatre

photography didn't kill painting. videography didn't kill photography.

picking up on edutilos point regarding the personal application and purpose of photography... why don't we pursue this train of thought further...

any of you foresee yourself coming to a point of time where you're too busy with life, to indulge in photography?

(i'm sure we see plenty of BnS threads with sellers' comments 'no time for photography')

in any case i confess that this thread is bo liao through and through but i personally do believe in shooting more.

kopitiam is a place.... for solace... reflection... especially when the nights are cold :bsmilie:

hope everyone can lighten up, humour me a bit

No.
Reason is that the digital imaging has made it almost free (once you have the digital cam + memory cards + home PC or notebook computer) to take lots of photos.
Whereas before the film developing labs were getting rich from photographers paying them to processing and printing photos.
It is no joke. At least one of the lab owners driving a BMW long ago already.
Now technology cut out this middleman.

Nowadays photo taking can really be used a a tool. For record shots.
To record your trip or event or where your things are.
It is a great memory tool.

In the past it would cost you a lot to take hundreds or event thousands of photos while on tour.
Now it costs nothing.

Last edited:
For some will photography will extinct when XMM is no longer available. For me ,it's seasonal...tour, family outing. Not a hardcore, just can't get too excited about it. Maybe a sign to lelong my stuff :bsmilie:

Last edited:
in an alternate universe somewhere there is a similar forum which exists except that its full of GWCs (Girls with Cameras) who shoot handsome young XDD (Xiao Di Di) :bsmilie:

Photography will not die out 'cos the movie 大世界2 will be out during CNY 50 years later?
Without photos, the movie will have difficulty producing series 2 already. :cool:

Did film die out when digital cameras were introduced?
Did drawing and painting ever die out due to photography?
Did bicycles die out due to motorcycles?
Did hawker centers die out due to foodcourts?
Did brooms die out due to vacuum cleaners?
Did fans die out due to air-conditioning?

Video has been around for ages and I don't see it replacing photography for the last few decades, the trend might die down but photography will never die out.

it really depend on each definition of "die out"...

some ppl say that those vinyl record never die out, but to me its has die out cos only very very little ppl buy this anymore, gen Z ppl dun even know what is a vinyl record...

is film camera dying out? to me yes... nowadays who buy film camera... want to buy also cannot find...

as for photography, what i can see in future is that most of the ppl will not be taking pictures anymore... everyone will be taking videos instead with their dunno how many pixels video camera... and if anybody still want a photos... it will be extracted from a frame of the video... this may not happen in the next 15 years... who knows, maybe 15 years and onwards later...

do you consider that as dying out of photography?

Of Course! Photography will die out.

They collected everything to the ARK but still cams in 2012. :(

Last edited:
will it EVER die out.. Thts too long a time for us to say with certainty lah..

So I'll say YES! , photography as we know it today, WILL MOSTLY LIKELY die out..lol

Into wht form I cannot predict, people may not even have a want/need to capture an image in any form..:)

it really depend on each definition of "die out"...

some ppl say that those vinyl record never die out, but to me its has die out cos only very very little ppl buy this anymore, gen Z ppl dun even know what is a vinyl record...

is film camera dying out? to me yes... nowadays who buy film camera... want to buy also cannot find...

as for photography, what i can see in future is that most of the ppl will not be taking pictures anymore... everyone will be taking videos instead with their dunno how many pixels video camera... and if anybody still want a photos... it will be extracted from a frame of the video... this may not happen in the next 15 years... who knows, maybe 15 years and onwards later...

do you consider that as dying out of photography?

i guess we'll go by this definition of still photography as we know it today.

yeah so if videos become the norm and this leads to the extraction of single frames from a particular footage.... yeah that counts as dying out.

anybody wants to speculate on this aspect of technology?

since photography began it has always been about doing things shot by shot. (i know videos too are actually fps, frames per second, just a lot faster)

also maybe in 2012 all photographic equipment may rebel because they're actually decepticons... then the world ends...

JUDGMENT DAY: RISE OF THE CAMERAS

it won't die lar dude. like others already mentioned, people still paint and draw.

i asked "will pen and pencil ever die out" and you answered "when all the trees die" .

you think we will still be living?

Last edited:
it won't die lar dude. like others already mentioned, people still paint and draw.

i asked "will pen and pencil ever die out" and you answered "when all the trees die" .

you think we will still be living?

And if we're still living, we can still bite our fingers and write or paint with our blood...:sweat: ... until we dried out of blood that is...

Yes, because we had reached a stage whereby artificial photosynthesis is not far away from reality. :)

how realistic is that?how big is the entire human population? not to forget animals and plants ; which are the sources of food.

this artificial photosynthesis is more like a political gimmick, so those political players got excuse to destroy all the trees.

Last edited: