Will DSLR decarease the effect of a fisheye lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweat100

Jul 7, 2002
Singapore
sweat100.multiply.com
I was jus wondering whether will a fisheye lens be not so "fisheyed" because most DSLR got a focal length multiplier since only the a certain portion of the lens is used.

yes he's right..

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Originally posted by sweat100
I was jus wondering whether will a fisheye lens be not so "fisheyed" because most DSLR got a focal length multiplier since only the a certain portion of the lens is used.

Depends on the DSLR

In the case of DSLR's with sensors that are smaller than the size of a 35mm frame (eg Nikon D1x, D1 etc) then there's a very noticable reduction in the effect of the fisheye lens.

In the case of full frame DSLR's eg: Kodak DCS14n a fisheye lens will work as per normal.

As YSLee said, with a DSLR that has a "focal length multiplier" (more accurately, a cropping factor), a fisheye looks more like a wide angle lens with bad barrel distortion.

Of course, you can always post-process with Panotools to get MORE of the fisheye effect, or make it a rectilinear lens.

Originally posted by StreetShooter
As YSLee said, with a DSLR that has a "focal length multiplier" (more accurately, a cropping factor), a fisheye looks more like a wide angle lens with bad barrel distortion.

Eh. That sounds suspiciously like what I said to him!

Since most DSLR except the 14n and 1Ds, we can afford to use cheaper lenses is it? This is because cheaper lenses usually exhibit optical errors at the edges. At the middle portion, its quite alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.