Will Canon do better in these tasks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santhiheafern

Feb 11, 2007
Hi there, I've been using a D70s for almost a year. So far its WB has not really been satisfying and you got to compromise with it. In general, I find the picture too "blue". The accuracy of the metering of the camera is another issue - most of the time you have to shoot it with +0.3 and sometimes don't. :confused:

Obviously, many will suggest using pp to enhance the end result. Others will also comment that manipulating the WB and metering is part and partial of photography. I have no disagreement with such advice. They are absolutely valid. ;)

I'm just wondering if Canon are doing better in these areas. Any experience/knowledge you can share would be much appreciated. That will really help if I should jump boat and switch camp. Thx !!

i find Auto White Balance (AWB) accurate enough to not have to PP the white balance.

shooting +1/3 or even +2/3 is something u still may have to do tho.

Hi there, I've been using a D70s for almost a year. So far its WB has not really been satisfying and you got to compromise with it.

That is true for the old D70s. But the newer D200/D80/D50 should do better. Canon AWB is slightly better, but metering is also slightly poorer on the 400D.

For me i jumped ship because i found out my 2 months old D80 not up to my personal likings, metering on exposure is another problem i faced.

I got almost stampled to death for mentioning my G7 pics looks better, for me i don't do PP due to time constrains from work, so i expect my next camera to be able to shoot and store pics in my archives without PP. I owned both the S3IS and the G7, and i'm so happy with both that i persue further to buy a Dslr (D80 now sold off), now i hope the 40D can produce the same or better results. I did consider the Fuji S5pro, heard it produce high contrasty pics quality, but the low fps is a turn off to me.

So 40D here i come...

Are you using tokina lens most of the time?
Yes, canon AWB is more accurate. ;)

Hey Longkangman, most of the time I shoot with my kit lens (18-70). In terms of sharpness, well, it's reasonable and I find it alright. I have a Tokina 28-70 but I try not to use it - too heavy :sweat: But it's a very good lens :thumbsup:

Honestly, when I took my first few shots with my new D70s, I was really shock and disappointed when I saw the picture. I'm not looking for something totally perfect. But at least it has to be more reasonable. :mad2:

Any input about the AWB and metering of Canon 20D / 30D would be really appreciated. Not looking at the 40D yet. Probably start with getting one from the forum and explore from there, if I decided to switch. :think:

For me i jumped ship because i found out my 2 months old D80 not up to my personal likings, metering on exposure is another problem i faced.

I got almost stampled to death for mentioning my G7 pics looks better, for me i don't do PP due to time constrains from work, so i expect my next camera to be able to shoot and store pics in my archives without PP. I owned both the S3IS and the G7, and i'm so happy with both that i persue further to buy a Dslr (D80 now sold off), now i hope the 40D can produce the same or better results. I did consider the Fuji S5pro, heard it produce high contrasty pics quality, but the low fps is a turn off to me.

So 40D here i come...

Silverarrow, I'm so happy to hear your story. My experience is similar - I was using a Canon A410 (3.2 Megapix) for almost a year before I bought the D70s. When I looked at the test shots, My God, the color is so much worse than what I can get from my A410. People told my that DSLR may compromise on color but delivers more details. I'm not too sure. But I don't think I'm asking too much for one which can produce better color. There's really a lot of different man....Especially in lowlight, it's blue blue blue ;(

Honestly, when I took my first few shots with my new D70s, I was really shock and disappointed when I saw the picture. ....

Any input about the AWB and metering of Canon 20D / 30D...

i foresee there's a identity crisis here. to get a exact feedback on D70s, go and try to start a thread in Nikon forum. my friend owns a D70 and somehow his pics do look great.

well, it's not so nice for u to start complaining abt Nikon stuff in Canon forum...may start a flaming u know...who knows others may follow suit.

no talking anything bad about Nikon, i just personally feel that i like the metering of Canon 10D, 20D and 30D. colours are often neutral for me to work easily on PS or CS (standard parameter)
of cos, u can set the parameters to make the pics look contrasty

Hmm i own a d80 too and i find that the AWB doesnt perform very well in indoor lighting.However outdoors,the AWB works fine.Another solution is to shoot raw and change the WB in pp
And yes i feel the AWB in Canon works better

i foresee there's a identity crisis here. to get a exact feedback on D70s, go and try to start a thread in Nikon forum. my friend owns a D70 and somehow his pics do look great.

well, it's not so nice for u to start complaining abt Nikon stuff in Canon forum...may start a flaming u know...who knows others may follow suit.

no talking anything bad about Nikon, i just personally feel that i like the metering of Canon 10D, 20D and 30D. colours are often neutral for me to work easily on PS or CS (standard parameter)
of cos, u can set the parameters to make the pics look contrasty

Thanks for your kind advice, SFS, I can understand. No offend to Nikon and Nikonians with my remarks earlier. :sweat:Well, I should stay focused with my original purpose of hearing more from others about their experience of the Canon WB and metering :)

if you seeking for a perfect camera, for sure you won't be able to find any..

it is your understanding of the camera to make it perfect.

not the camera or lenses to make your photo perfect.

if you seeking for a perfect camera, for sure you won't be able to find any..

it is your understanding of the camera to make it perfect.

not the camera or lenses to make your photo perfect.

Not really lah, Cathlights, I'm just trying to find out more how Canon is doing in WB and metering and if it's doing a better job. If its performance is better in thest areas, obviously it gives us a reason to explore further....Oh yes, I know that I can always play with the WB and push it to cloudy/shade mode and +1 or -1 to get a different result. Here I guess I'm looking at how much we can accept when we compare the end result and our expectation (not perfection).

Knowing how your camera meters will affect your results. Expect perfect metering by just switching to a metering mode and firing away just won't cut it.

I shoot RAW and adjust my WB during my post-event workflow.

Not really lah, Cathlights, I'm just trying to find out more how Canon is doing in WB and metering and if it's doing a better job. If its performance is better in thest areas, obviously it gives us a reason to explore further....Oh yes, I know that I can always play with the WB and push it to cloudy/shade mode and +1 or -1 to get a different result. Here I guess I'm looking at how much we can accept when we compare the end result and our expectation (not perfection).
cameras has no brain, and it can't read your mind too.

Status
Not open for further replies.