wierd shutter sounds...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethany

Mar 10, 2004
sg
own a canon A1... 3 yrs ago since i last used it...
when i started shooted with it last weekend, sortof find the shutter sound(or mirror slapping/ or are they the same thing?) abit wierd compared to a friend's EOS 30.... mine's louder... and sounds quite diff...

is this normal? afterall... the A1's a few decades old as compared to the EOS 30...

anywhere i can send to check?

will try to record and attach e shutter sound to this post...

thanks for any help...

Hi ethany,

I am not sure if you remember how your A1's shutter sounded last time. It should sound different from most modern camera since they have totally different shutter mechanism and material. A1 will also sound louder and more "unrefined" compared to moderm EOS camera since the mirror damping may not be as good.

Now, if you have owned your A1 long enough and remember distinctly that it didn't sound like this years ago, then maybe you have the famous Canon A series squeaky shutter problem(actually it's caused by the mirror). You may find your shutter release sound a bit laggy and it emits a squeaking sound. It's a common problem and requires nothing more than addition of proper lubricant(NOT WD40 for sure !) to one of the mirror escapement's pivot somewhere in the mirror box. Most reputable camera repair shops should be able to carry out the service.

Hope you will enjoy your A1 once it's properly serviced.

e905591s

e905591s said:
Hi ethany,

I am not sure if you remember how your A1's shutter sounded last time. It should sound different from most modern camera since they have totally different shutter mechanism and material. A1 will also sound louder and more "unrefined" compared to moderm EOS camera since the mirror damping may not be as good.

Now, if you have owned your A1 long enough and remember distinctly that it didn't sound like this years ago, then maybe you have the famous Canon A series squeaky shutter problem(actually it's caused by the mirror). You may find your shutter release sound a bit laggy and it emits a squeaking sound. It's a common problem and requires nothing more than addition of proper lubricant(NOT WD40 for sure !) to one of the mirror escapement's pivot somewhere in the mirror box. Most reputable camera repair shops should be able to carry out the service.

Hope you will enjoy your A1 once it's properly serviced.

e905591s

well...
din really notice e shutter sound until recently....
upon close inspection, i do hear a clinging sound, sound like some spring or metal flap vibrating about, lasted for slightly above 1s after the mirror slapping sound... is this normal?
and the entire shutter sound is not consistant at all...
sometimes hear
a) 1 click followed by a neat slap (4 out of 10 times)
b) 1 click followed by some short draggy noise that sounds like canvas tearing (4 out of 10 times), ending with slap
c) 1 click following by long canvas tearing sound, ending with slap.... (2 out of 10 times, if i were to hold shutter release button, i hear this everytime!)

all these above the spring vibration sound... shutter speed being 1/1000s.. anything longer than 1/250s, i'll get (a)

what bothers me is whether it's still safe to use it... donch wanna further damage it..... you mentioned lubration, so if it's e case.... then lack of lub=more wear and tear, so wouldn't it damage e camera further if i were to continue using it?

thanks for e input

worried ethan

Hi ethany,

Your case (b) and (c) do sound like the squeaky shutter problem. Since it's not consistent, maybe your problem is at the very early stage. So it's a good time to send it in for a proper service. The service shouldn't cost much since no parts would be replaced.

e905591s

e905591s said:
Hi ethany,

Your case (b) and (c) do sound like the squeaky shutter problem. Since it's not consistent, maybe your problem is at the very early stage. So it's a good time to send it in for a proper service. The service shouldn't cost much since no parts would be replaced.

e905591s

thanks for the advice...
will send it to e doc b4 using it again..

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.