Wide Screen or Normal LCD Screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mynameisjizeng

Aug 10, 2006
Upper Bukit Timah
Hello all,

I'm currently looking for a good LCD monitor, mainly for photoediting purposes.

Do you guys recommend getting a wide screen model, or a normal one?

also, which brands/models would you recommend?

thanks all. feel free to comment..

Regards,
Andrew

Widescreen.

For photoediting, after you've put your panels on both sides, the working space in the middle
will be just nice for your 2:3 or 3:4 pictures le.

Yes, I would definitely recommend a widescreen like the Dell 2405FPW or 2407WFP 24" widescreens. I personally use the 2405 and there is alot more space to work with when you can run things like your web browser in a window.

Apple also has some widescreen displays which you might want to review also.

mynameisjizeng said:
hmm.. alright. thanks alot!

but doesn't wide screen distort the images slightly?

So far - No.

You get a bigger workspace to work in eg. 1900 x 1200 ... I use that for my WS LCD.

It distorts only if you stretch a 8x6 ratio.
Of course, set your video card to the appropriate resolute modes.

What you get is the big screen workspace.

So far viewsonic and Dell widescreen are most talkabout here. Any other brands ? ;)

Widescreen: if you're using photoshop you can keep the tool palettes on one side without covering the picture you're doctoring... that's if your picture is fresh out of the camera without cropping.

No, no distortion since you're not using it as a TV. 1 pixel on your photo is 1 pixel on your monitor

hmmm...

thanks all!

sadly i bought a normal LCD during comex. bahh. kinda thinking of switching to a widescreen now:p

anyone want's to buy a viewsonic 19" lcd? contrast ratio 800:1!! hahahaha..

mynameisjizeng said:
hmmm...

thanks all!

sadly i bought a normal LCD during comex. bahh. kinda thinking of switching to a widescreen now:p

anyone want's to buy a viewsonic 19" lcd? contrast ratio 800:1!! hahahaha..

i think you made the right choice. Widescreens have lower area compared to normal screens of the same diagonal. Your 19" LCD has about 10% more area compared to a 19" widescreen. The advantages that were mentioned in this thread apply mainly to LARGE widescreens, 21" and above.

For smaller screens, 20" and below, widescreen is not an advantage for work because the screen might be too short. With the exception of spreadsheets, height is usually more practical/useful than width for normal work/surfing.

ST1100 said:
i think you made the right choice. Widescreens have lower area compared to normal screens of the same diagonal. Your 19" LCD has about 10% more area compared to a 19" widescreen. The advantages that were mentioned in this thread apply mainly to LARGE widescreens, 21" and above.

For smaller screens, 20" and below, widescreen is not an advantage for work because the screen might be too short. With the exception of spreadsheets, height is usually more practical/useful than width for normal work/surfing.

hmmm.. really?

yeah was actually considering usage during document work or portrait-intensive documents. my only qualm about it is, widescreen always seems easier to work with as it's easier to layout stuff on the desktop..

Status
Not open for further replies.