Wide Angles for Canon

Status
Not open for further replies.
So as to say that even with f2.8 for UWA, the DoF is not going to make a big difference. The wide aperture is more useful for low light.
Yes.Although the usage of f2.8 is pretty much a last resort.

Event need so wide? To capture the whole venue but does that requires wide aperture?
The wide perspective is very interesting and I regularly use UWAs for events lol.

hey, I think your nick is quite obscene. You have already developed into a human being, why do you want to call yourself a tadpole?

Haha

I got a cutes and lovely permed hair la... thats y my nick is 'Cutes Perm'
Not that cute(tadpole) u thought. :bsmilie:

Just because it does not fit your style or my style does not mean it will not fit someone else's style. I am sure someone else will find it suitable and fitting in their lens selection, and I'm sure Nikon would have thought that through prior to developing the 14-24/2.8.

I am just trying to find situations that demand wide aperture for UWA. I am trying to understand and not questioning the style of others.

Haha

I got a cutes and lovely permed hair la... thats y my nick is 'Cutes Perm'
Not that cute(tadpole) u thought. :bsmilie:

You expect me to believe that, toad. It would have been cuteperm if that's the case. I wonder how you got pass registration with this nick. This is photography forum and not Sammyboy.

which brand manufactures those lenses where you snap pointing upwards to capture a 360º view?

Since this is a discussion on wide angled lens for Canon, and I am planning to buy one, can I take the opportunity to ask for advice/opinion?
Tokina 12-24 has a good review in dpreview for producing sharp pics at all fl but has a narrower widest angle at 12mm compared to 10mm in other brand like Sigma & Tamron.

Does the 2mm (10 degree) make a lot of difference in real world photography? is Sigma's supposed poorer sharpness matters in real world photography?
thank you

yes! 10mm and 12mm is A HUGE DIFFERENCE..

the canon one is good, 2mm more on the long end.. focus faster and more accurate, distortion not that bad as compared to the siggy.. Siggy on the other hand is slightly faster (f3.5) for the new version :)

oh yah F2.8? INDOOR EVENTS.. enuf said. :)

i've been wanting to get an UWA too, saving up for one.. im all set for the tokina 11-16. But its quite prevalent in CS that the canon 10-22 is recommended instead. I'd like to know why, optically the tokina is better, its also faster at f2.8. The build quality is also better.
The reasons that the canon is better is that its first party, USM and its wider at 10mm with a longer range till 22mm. Do these qualities outweigh the toks? why?
To TS i'd seriously recommend the tok over the canon unless someone can persuade me otherwise..

...You expect me to believe that, toad. It would have been cuteperm if that's the case. I wonder how you got pass registration with this nick. This is photography forum and not Sammyboy.

Why kick up such a big fuss and cause OT? The sperm is nothing disgusting or obscene. It is merely a means to reproduction.

an ultra wide angle is one of the most creative and challenging lens to have. Its not too dramatic as a fisheye, but yet its at a perspective that humans do not see it in their world every day. So it always poses something of a challenge to take a decent photo with that kind of angle. I have seen many very creative works taken on wide angle lenses especially when used on non-landscape works. Even up till today, the wide angle is still highly prized for its unique perspective and Dof.

Why kick up such a big fuss and cause OT? The sperm is nothing disgusting or obscene. It is merely a means to reproduction.

I find the nick crass, crude and distasteful. There are girls and young adults on this forum. Can't this spermy guy think of a more suitable nick. Anyway, my ranting is not going to change anything. So end of discussion.

i am torn between tokina and tamron, have read much abt tokina but am also using 28-75 f2.8 thus am very happy with the quality thus far.

any seniors to comment or recommend?:)

canon is way out of my league 1k plus.....:sweat:

i am torn between tokina and tamron, have read much abt tokina but am also using 28-75 f2.8 thus am very happy with the quality thus far.

any seniors to comment or recommend?:)

canon is way out of my league 1k plus.....:sweat:

Lol...the tokina isn't exactly very much cheaper anyway~ that's if u compare the 10-22 and 11-16. Anyway, the tokina 11-16 has rave reviews. It's pretty much better in a few ways; optically, price (100-200 cheaper i think), constant aperture.

Do consider anyway. =) i don't own one, but i've tried both lenses side by side before, so i suppose i could offer some recommendations. =)

hmmm, seems like the widest is 10mm, 16 on a cropped. Not possible to go wider?

it is possible to stick a 10-22 onto a 1.3 crop body if you know how ;)
the widest you can get with acceptable vignetting is 12mm though

which brand manufactures those lenses where you snap pointing upwards to capture a 360º view?

Hi, I believe what that you are referring to is an omnidirectional mirror (http://www.vstone.co.jp/e/sensor.html). Its not really a lens, u can actually get the same effect if u use a coned mirror.

Personally, I don't think this is used much in photography. (please correct me if i'm wrong) Its more oftenly used in the field of robotics(i was previously doing robotic vision) :)

Hi, I believe what that you are referring to is an omnidirectional mirror (http://www.vstone.co.jp/e/sensor.html). Its not really a lens, u can actually get the same effect if u use a coned mirror.

Personally, I don't think this is used much in photography. (please correct me if i'm wrong) Its more oftenly used in the field of robotics(i was previously doing robotic vision) :)

could he be referring to a 180degree angle of view fisheye? the 8mm can do that, iirc

I find the nick crass, crude and distasteful. There are girls and young adults on this forum. Can't this spermy guy think of a more suitable nick. Anyway, my ranting is not going to change anything. So end of discussion.

Yes.... He should be wearing a pant to avoid such obscenity. Well, one type of rice feed thousands type of people.

i've been wanting to get an UWA too, saving up for one.. im all set for the tokina 11-16. But its quite prevalent in CS that the canon 10-22 is recommended instead. I'd like to know why, optically the tokina is better, its also faster at f2.8. The build quality is also better.
The reasons that the canon is better is that its first party, USM and its wider at 10mm with a longer range till 22mm. Do these qualities outweigh the toks? why?
To TS i'd seriously recommend the tok over the canon unless someone can persuade me otherwise..

another factor often neglected is servicing.

i would think servicing a Canon lens is pretty much hassle free and convenient (harbourfront).

Not quite sure where to service a Tokina product though.

i personally own a 10-22. prior to my purchase, i was contemplating a sigma or canon. my consideration for a third party lens stems mainly from price. Since third party UWA lens are priced near what canon is selling, the obvious choice is Canon.

As for optics quality (distortion, IQ whatever), i'm the kind who believe in working around the limitation of my lens.

Status
Not open for further replies.