Wide Angle lens

vizard87

Nov 30, 2008
I just read about the Olympus 7-14mm and was already interested in the lens but upon seeing the price, it is abit too expensive for me, thus I am wondering if the Panasonic 14mm F7 will be a good choice too?

If you wanna save money, invest in the 14mm f2.8 and the rokinon/samyang fish eye lens. It would be more than enough I believe.

I find the 14mm not sharp wide open but above that, it's a very good cheap lens. And it's also very susceptible to purple fringing.

I have no complains on the fisheye thou because it is very sharp.

Hope it helps.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I just read about the Olympus 7-14mm and was already interested in the lens but upon seeing the price, it is abit too expensive for me, thus I am wondering if the Panasonic 14mm F7 will be a good choice too?

in another post, u mentioned u have the 12-40, that is already wider than the 14... should continue to shoot with the 12-40 unless u really need a UWA lens for certain purpose...

yup i have the 12-40, but sometime i feel that i cannot capture the feeling of the landscape that i am taking, i know i can stitch together with different shots but i am not too well versed in that aspect..thus was thinking of getting a UWA lens.

yup i have the 12-40, but sometime i feel that i cannot capture the feeling of the landscape that i am taking, i know i can stitch together with different shots but i am not too well versed in that aspect..thus was thinking of getting a UWA lens.

then the 14mm will not help u also, 9-18 will be cheaper but if u shoot regularly, the 7-14 f4 may be another alternative. the Pro 2.8 can be too expensive but price is always relative :cool:

I agree with iluvs90, 9-18 is the cheapest alternative and the 7-14 from Panasonic is a good alternative as well, WongLP has shot with them before and his photos are nothing short of stunning! The only pro that comes to mind with the M.ZD 7-14 PRO is that it's 1 stop faster which is useful when shooting in low light situations that require a faster shutter speed, but if you're shooting landscape, f4 doesn't really matter much in the end

I agree with iluvs90, 9-18 is the cheapest alternative and the 7-14 from Panasonic is a good alternative as well, WongLP has shot with them before and his photos are nothing short of stunning! The only pro that comes to mind with the M.ZD 7-14 PRO is that it's 1 stop faster which is useful when shooting in low light situations that require a faster shutter speed, but if you're shooting landscape, f4 doesn't really matter much in the end

Hmm thank you for the suggestion, I do intend to shoot at night for those light trails of the traffic, not too sure if the 7-14 f4, will be alright for it?

Hmm thank you for the suggestion, I do intend to shoot at night for those light trails of the traffic, not too sure if the 7-14 f4, will be alright for it?

Yeap :) sufficient. Even the Oly 9-18 will do fine. It's a fact that higher end equipment helps , but your skills matter more.

Yeap :) sufficient. Even the Oly 9-18 will do fine. It's a fact that higher end equipment helps , but your skills matter more.

Hmm.will you suggest the oly 9-18 or the pana 7-14? I am also currently in a decision to whether upgrade my EP5 to EM5 mkii...as I just bought EP 5 last year..

Hmm.will you suggest the oly 9-18 or the pana 7-14? I am also currently in a decision to whether upgrade my EP5 to EM5 mkii...as I just bought EP 5 last year..

Afford the best you can so you do t have to pay more to upgrade later. The oly version is weather sealed and faster, since you're shooting night trails, fast lenses aren't necessary. You're not going to shoot in bad weather right? So again, not necessary.

As to upgrading to em5mkii, it's your choice, it's a better camera bur cameras are always changing and improving

Spidey is right.

Only get the EM5II if u need weather resistance or the itch to buy is too strong. The EP5 itself is a great camera capable of most of what the EM5II can do anyway.

Start budget , 9-18. Upgrade only when u really have a feel of how to deal with UWA (and the distortions) and are sure it's something u really want.

18mm FL is frankly very wide already ;)

Afford the best you can so you do t have to pay more to upgrade later. The oly version is weather sealed and faster, since you're shooting night trails, fast lenses aren't necessary. You're not going to shoot in bad weather right? So again, not necessary.

As to upgrading to em5mkii, it's your choice, it's a better camera bur cameras are always changing and improving

True, I thank you for your advice, I think I will upgrade my camera body when I have better funds, will you suggest the oly or the pana version? As I read on both reviews, they are really good

True, I thank you for your advice, I think I will upgrade my camera body when I have better funds, will you suggest the oly or the pana version? As I read on both reviews, they are really good

As for me, Olympus is good and I am another proud owner of Oly7-14mm F2.8.
Please read more on this link.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Olympus_M_Zuiko_Digital_7-14mm_f2-8/

Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMjLTWM5Wmg

But don't forget the skill is very important and it took me awhile to get used to lens like distortion, wideness, etc

Yes the price for this lens is "cut-throat" but the outcome is unbelievably stunning.

As for me, Olympus is good and I am another proud owner of Oly7-14mm F2.8.
Please read more on this link.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Olympus_M_Zuiko_Digital_7-14mm_f2-8/

Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMjLTWM5Wmg

But don't forget the skill is very important and it took me awhile to get used to lens like distortion, wideness, etc

Yes the price for this lens is "cut-throat" but the outcome is unbelievably stunning.

Eh bro that price really too cut throat..haha I think I will need to eat bread le..i am comparing between oly 9-18 and pana 7-14..haha

Eh bro that price really too cut throat..haha I think I will need to eat bread le..i am comparing between oly 9-18 and pana 7-14..haha
Understood! Better 9-18 as I used this before I sold this off. Very good lens and palm size. But the sharpness/low light not so bad. Ideal for starter!

But you have 12-40mm which is quite good. I suggest you rent 9-18mm first before you are really confident of buying UWA lens.

Last edited:
Kit lens 14-42 with wide angle lens converter :p

Understood! Better 9-18 as I used this before I sold this off. Very good lens and palm size. But the sharpness/low light not so bad. Ideal for starter!

But you have 12-40mm which is quite good. I suggest you rent 9-18mm first before you are really confident of buying UWA lens.

Eh bro do you know where I can rent the lens? because I have no idea at all where I can rent lens

As you've already read, they're both very good already. I think you have to ask yourself, where do you see yourself in the future with your gear? I'm a working professional and am starting to use my m43 gear in place of my Nikon gear (because recently I've grown lazy, and some cases I don't see a need to carry my Nikon gear).

I use the Olympus because:
1. Sometimes I shoot in bad weather, people think I'm crazy, but I just like to see what I can get
2. I need the f2.8 because I shoot events and though I normally stop down my aperture to 4 or 5.6, the option to have the 2.8 is useful and important

No offence to what Keith say (we all have our own opinion), I standby buying the best you can afford to you don't need to upgrade, but that is my personal belief otherwise you're spending more. If you don't mind spending a bit more, what Keith said is also a valid point.

And as the rest have mentioned, UWA lenses are hard to master, but they do give interesting images that other lenses can't.

For example, this picture I shot recently. I took it with the E-M10 Mark II and the M.ZD 7-14, because a girl borrowed my E-M1 and M.ZD 12-40:bsmilie:

11232953_920036831416729_2237298228256575233_o.jpg

As I mentioned before (at least I think I did), WongLP has shot with the 9-19, 7-14 (both Olympus and Panasonic ones) and his pictures ceases to amaze.

No probs at all , I'm actually more interested in who's the lady now ;)

O9-18 is still one of the most compact UWA in MFT even though the O7-14/2.8 definitely outperforms it. Like you said it boils down to personal opinions and of course one's budget.