Why so pixelated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah. actual out of camera shots. i didnt do any editing or cropping.
what do you mean by reducing the image size in my camera?

Check your manual on how to change image size / resolution. I'm not sure where those are in the 500D so can't advise you directly (and too lazy to dig through the manual online)

The image looks out of focus in the first place and thats is why when u zoom in at 100% the picture looks pixelated. Did u use a tripod for the shot?

What do you mean "when you zoom in"?

At full size out of camera, set at maximum resolution? Then it shouldn't be pixellated.

aloevera08, try and shoot at F5.6/F8 instead of F2.8. It'll give you a little more DOF in case the necklace is not 100% parallel to the sensor.

aloevera08, try and shoot at F5.6/F8 instead of F2.8. It'll give you a little more DOF in case the necklace is not 100% parallel to the sensor.

fairly small aperture was used
;)

HI,

I'm using a canon 500D and my work requires me to take shots of jewellery. However, the shots are always not so ideal as the gemstones on the jewellery doesn't appear to be clear.

I use a 100mm macro with the 500D. Tried many different settings with f8-11 mainly and slow shutter speeds. When I zoom into the picture, the minor details always look out of focused and pixelated. Anyway I can improve?

EXIF files on all 3 images shows F2.8 and 1/200sec.

Last edited:
Would a photo being OOF (through mis-focus or thin DOF) exacerbate the pixelation problem?

To me, pixelation seems mainly to do with image resolution. You enlarge it far enough and of course you get down to the pixels.
Thus the image size affects how far you can magnify it before you see the ugly pixelation.

Am I on the right track here...? :confused:

yeah. actual out of camera shots. i didnt do any editing or cropping.
what do you mean by reducing the image size in my camera?

Your actual out of camera shots, since you are using 500D, would definitely take up more than 800x533 pixels. The camera itself is 15+ megapixels. The 100% size of this would definitely explode out of the monitor I'm using.

However, I don't think 500D offers 800x533 options, so definitely you have not taken the pictures at this resolution. The fact that you sound so blur about all this signals to me that you need to read up a bit more about basic photography or read your camera manual more.. Either you have resized without doing it, or photobucket has resized for you.

The minimum output of your camera is 2352 x 1568, or 3.7 megapixels. (according to Imaging Resource: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/T1I/T1IDAT.HTM )

Just to highlight to you what a full res 500D file should look like, you can take a look at this link:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/T1I/FULLRES/T1IhSLI00100.HTM

(Note please, this is a 5+ MB page)

If you're referring to fact that not everything is tack sharp, then that's just how DSLRs are, and you're asking too much out of your tool.

Just make sure you know what's going on -

(1) Make sure focus is spot on.
(2) Use a tripod
(3) Use a shutter release or timer to ensure that you don't shake the camera when shooting
(4) Don't shoot wide open, F/8 - F/11 will be best for macro, especially since you are in control of the bg here - no lens is sharp wide open
(5) Sharpen with Unsharp Mask if you haven't employed in-camera sharpening (recommended to do it yourself)

If you've done all that, and still want more detail, suggest you buy Medium Format (5 digit cost). Frankly speaking, I'm not sure why you want so much. Even an old 6 megapixel DSLR that I used to use produced A4 prints just fine, after cropping slightly at that.

Last edited:
the image you have uploaded is only 533 x 800 pixels. What size did you record the image as? If it's a 12MP camera, it should be something like 4--- x 2--- pixels

edit: of course you shouldn't be uploading that size image online! :eek:

oh.. its supposed to be 3168 x 4752 according to the info on my folder. I uploaded the pics here via photobucket cos the CS gallery is under maintenance...

Status
Not open for further replies.