why so blurr

Status
Not open for further replies.
which model u using huh... mine is a 2003 10D... my sharpest setting is only +2... i only got 4 setting to play with, all is up to +2 steps only... i tried all those le... i can live with my daily shots.. just that i now trying to figure out the macro len... really miles off the pic posted... hope to learn from you more ley... :p cheers
mine's a 2003 300D. even lower end than your 10D.

dont bother too much about the +1/+2 settings. they don't matter much. practice your technique and master your camera.

macro shots IMHO must use manual focus, the details on your subject are just too small for the sensors

the technique i use is to focus with the forward and backward movement of the camera
this is done once i have pre focused the lens

Agreed

Manual focussing then fine tuning by moving forward or backward the cam

For macro shooting, AF is not reliable IMHO

macro shots IMHO must use manual focus, the details on your subject are just too small for the sensors

the technique i use is to focus with the forward and backward movement of the camera
this is done once i have pre focused the lens

okay, noted.. thks...

mine's a 2003 300D. even lower end than your 10D.

dont bother too much about the +1/+2 settings. they don't matter much. practice your technique and master your camera.

ok... thks...

hello all...

i tried again today...

here is 2 more pic... i personally see there is a little improvement on my shots... based on the teaching u all gave... but i still see room for improvement.. cos i can see that they are still very far off from those posted in the macro threads... sharpness and details is still not there yet... hope can get more information on how to improve... thks...

equipment EOS10D & 180mm & 1980's flash...

both pic same exif datas... ISO=200, Focal Length = 180mm X 1.6X, A=19 (pic 1), A=16 (pic 2), T=1/180, hand held (due to chasing spider), white balance = flash

another question, why exif from zoom browser flash = off, when flash did go off from a 1980s flash... (starblitz)

pic 1
IMG_41991.jpg

pic 2
IMG_4210.jpg

#1 is OOF
#2 is better

practice more, you will get better

will pratice... but need more input ley.. ok for pic 1 if its oof... but what about pic 2.. if its in focus, why is the details n sharpness not there yet... can u advise abit more on the process to improvement.. 10s in advance...

the light is not in your favour
the white wall will fool your camera

go out in the day time and shoot spiders on plants or other places where you can get a face to face shot
the ambient light will help you get a better shot

go out in the day time and shoot spiders on plants or other places where you can get a face to face shot

ok to your proposal.. but it will be damn hard thing for me to do... as i dnt hv the luxury of time...

back to the indoor shot... what about diffuser on the flash... or any other method... i will diy a diffuser and standby when i next see a spider in my hse again.. and see how i can move on from there...

if u got more idea to improve my shot indoor... hope u can kindly let me knw... cheers...

same, go for a face to face shot/pose
a diffuser is a good idea

with a face to face POV
there will be less of a wall to cast a shadow on

same, go for a face to face shot/pose
a diffuser is a good idea

with a face to face POV
there will be less of a wall to cast a shadow on

ok.. 10s for the input.. will try.. cheers...

do u have a pet spider at home?

come to think of it.. the exposure is set manually one... can u advise why will the white wall fool my camera or not huh... thks...

come to think of it.. the exposure is set manually one... can u advise why will the white wall fool my camera or not huh... thks...

your pet is dark while the wall is white

so when the flash goes off and the wall becomes white, your camera meter will think that
the exposure is ok, but actually you are trying to light the spider, which needs a little more light. so this is where the photographer takes over from his/her tool and makes the adjustments.

Dear twisted illusion,

As you start macro, you may want to get as close as possible to your small spider. In doing so, you must be aware your lens has a minimun focusing distance : it means you have to stand at minimun distance. If you are too close to your subject, it is impossible for you to focus properly.

It's one possible reason why you may be out of focus, even when you manual focus and fine tune by moving forward or backward your camera.

wish you nice macros,
YP.

your pet is dark while the wall is white

so when the flash goes off and the wall becomes white, your camera meter will think that
the exposure is ok, but actually you are trying to light the spider, which needs a little more light. so this is where the photographer takes over from his/her tool and makes the adjustments.

hello ortega, pardon me for asking again... my exposure is set manually one... the flash is output is 100% as it is a manual flash... i didnt really rely on the camera metering.. but the flash card setting and adjusted abit... if this is the case, r u trying to tell me my flash need to be adjusted better...

i did a DIY difuser.. a white pvc card pasted at 90 degree to the flash head and the flash head tilted 90 degree... when everything is set up, all is 180 degree one... this greatly reduce the flash and the iso need to be bumped from 100 to 400 in order for this set up to be useable... i will try to located the spider again next wk and see how the effect on it...

the question is, will a bigger pvc card bounce more light off... but it like look stupid and dnt think can bring outside... lol... so will need to go and source a suitable size off the shelve diffuser from op... hope they have one that will fit my flash :p

Dear twisted illusion,

As you start macro, you may want to get as close as possible to your small spider. In doing so, you must be aware your lens has a minimun focusing distance : it means you have to stand at minimun distance. If you are too close to your subject, it is impossible for you to focus properly.

It's one possible reason why you may be out of focus, even when you manual focus and fine tune by moving forward or backward your camera.

wish you nice macros,
YP.

as the spider is always on the ceiliing and moving constantly... i not able to try the method u mentioned.. i saw on line tutorial about your teaching as well... but this spider is not very friendly... so i need to shot... adjust, shot adjust many times to get these 2 better shot (in my opinion)... i will try when i hv the chance...

btw, any hints on making the spider details to stand out more... cos i see other cs poster, their details on their macro shots is really alot alot more... thks...

hello all...

i tried again today...

here is 2 more pic... i personally see there is a little improvement on my shots... based on the teaching u all gave... but i still see room for improvement.. cos i can see that they are still very far off from those posted in the macro threads... sharpness and details is still not there yet... hope can get more information on how to improve... thks...

equipment EOS10D & 180mm & 1980's flash...

both pic same exif datas... ISO=200, Focal Length = 180mm X 1.6X, A=19 (pic 1), A=16 (pic 2), T=1/180, hand held (due to chasing spider), white balance = flash

another question, why exif from zoom browser flash = off, when flash did go off from a 1980s flash... (starblitz)

pic 1
IMG_41991.jpg

pic 2
IMG_4210.jpg

I told you about MFD because you might be below the Minimun Focusing Distance of your lens when you shot your OOF picture 1. In case, when making new essais, take care to be not tooclose but at appropriate distance of your subject or you won't be able at all to focus properly at it.

Good continuation,

Last edited:
I told you about MFD because you might be below the Minimun Focusing Distance of your lens when you shot your OOF picture 1. In case, when making new essais, take care to be not tooclose but at appropriate distance of your subject or you won't be able at all to focus properly at it.

Good continuation,

ah, i see.. understand... ok... noted... 10s...

Status
Not open for further replies.