Why people talk of treatment at private hospital?

my ex-colleague in my previous coy many years ago send his father to mount V for
some heart disease illnesses. we were juz very ordinary paid worker then so i questioned
him his decision for sending his dad to such an expensive hospital beside a govt ones.
his answer was: "i want to show my relatives that i have made enough to send my dad
to a private hospital." and he really invite all those relatives who used to look down on
their family to the hospital to visit his dad. :confused:

I don't agree with TS. 'Government' hospitals are now also as expensive as private hospitals. We are comparing ward to ward between 'government' (or should we call quasi-government now) and private hospitals.

My wife had her delivery at Gleneagles 11 years ago (bear in mind 11 years back), and she compared the charges with her colleague, who had hers at KK. The latter charges came out to be higher!

Actually, it all depends on what ward you choose, and the package you take up. Also, as what others have pointed out, insurance packages play a very important part.

Virgo said:
I don't agree with TS. 'Government' hospitals are now also as expensive as private hospitals. We are comparing ward to ward between 'government' (or should we call quasi-government now) and private hospitals.

My wife had her delivery at Gleneagles 11 years ago (bear in mind 11 years back), and she compared the charges with her colleague, who had hers at KK. The latter charges came out to be higher!

Actually, it all depends on what ward you choose, and the package you take up. Also, as what others have pointed out, insurance packages play a very important part.

Er if you compare abalone in kopitiam to peanut in reasonably good restaurant the kopitiam more ex.

Of course you must do apple to apple comparison what.. I don't understand!

This subject is an important one for all of us to know. Nobody want to be sick, but who knows.......

First focal point - if one is sick where do you go to? Polyclinic, GP, or a straight to a Consultant in a Private Hospital?

Second - upon knowing that one need to be hospitalized for treatment (from the doctor in the first line of visit) where do you go?

Third - at this point in time, ask yourself, what are the cost involved? Can you pay?

Forth - don't "save face", just tell the doctor if you need help e.g. Want a lesser cost option including a referral to a local government hospital instead. This would help in allowing access to C or B2 wards.

***Let me give you a real example.

A person who suffers a pain, when to see a GP in the neighborhood. After consulting, he refer the case to a Private Consultant for investigations.
Now the Consultant, confirms of a certain sickness which needed treatments.

What would one do?

1. Just say, OK go ahead and charged with stay in Private Hospital?
2. Say, Doctors, please help. I cannot afford, kindly refer to a government hospital, and still landed "A" class wards (due to private referrals).
3. Doctor, I cannot afford and I need to be in C or B2 class to put into to financial stress. Please refer me to a Polyclinic?

I am not selling insurance but have been lucky to have learnt my lesson from my ops and now covered by insurance. (My ops was covered with a A class charges in "government restructured hospital" by my company. As my ops was urgent and happened to be a Private Consultant and therefor in a Private Hospital. I ended up having to pay some 40% of the bill after claims). What was more worrying was that If I leave the company the insurance is gone. Now, I am insured. Thanks to the ops which have waken me on the insurance system.

Talking about direct treatments or investigations in Private Hospital, Government restructured hospitals or choosing your choice of doctors is totally a different issue. It is a privilege for those who are already insured and can afford the post medical follow up charges.

Balance in the medisave cannot be use to pay medical bills as you wishes. It can be used to buy medical insurance of choice affordable to you.

I repeat, I am not selling insurance or a agent in this interest. I felt obliged to share with all our members, just like sharing of what lens to buy.

Er if you compare abalone in kopitiam to peanut in reasonably good restaurant the kopitiam more ex.

Of course you must do apple to apple comparison what.. I don't understand!

Yes, I'm doing apple to apple comparison. Same type of ward, same natural delivery. Just different hospital!

Yes, I'm doing apple to apple comparison. Same type of ward, same natural delivery. Just different hospital!

Apologies, I thought earlier on you were saying that an expensive ward in a gov hospital might cost more than a lower end ward in a private hospital...

You mean you're saying that same type of ward in gov/private hospital, gov costs more?

Confusing.

Apologies, I thought earlier on you were saying that an expensive ward in a gov hospital might cost more than a lower end ward in a private hospital...

You mean you're saying that same type of ward in gov/private hospital, gov costs more?

Confusing.

I am comparing the overall charges a mother had to pay. Same ward, but package wise I'm not sure. Delivery type, same.

What I'm trying to say here is that private hospital may not always cost more. It really depends on how you select the package and type of services. Of course, if one choose the best, then really cannot say anything liao.

The sickness did not kill you.

When you see the big medical bill it will kill you.

It should not cripple you financially for the rest of your life.

Great sharing :thumbsup: Many friends like to share with me they have company insurance so nah dont need to insure further...plus waste of money mindset...but come on a L Lens i spend 2k + for a lens....isnt our body worth more than the lens that we should deserve the best and world class treatment possible.

"What was more worrying was that If I leave the company the insurance is gone.":bigeyes::bigeyes:

This subject is an important one for all of us to know. Nobody want to be sick, but who knows.......

First focal point - if one is sick where do you go to? Polyclinic, GP, or a straight to a Consultant in a Private Hospital?

Second - upon knowing that one need to be hospitalized for treatment (from the doctor in the first line of visit) where do you go?

Third - at this point in time, ask yourself, what are the cost involved? Can you pay?

Forth - don't "save face", just tell the doctor if you need help e.g. Want a lesser cost option including a referral to a local government hospital instead. This would help in allowing access to C or B2 wards.

***Let me give you a real example.

A person who suffers a pain, when to see a GP in the neighborhood. After consulting, he refer the case to a Private Consultant for investigations.
Now the Consultant, confirms of a certain sickness which needed treatments.

What would one do?

1. Just say, OK go ahead and charged with stay in Private Hospital?
2. Say, Doctors, please help. I cannot afford, kindly refer to a government hospital, and still landed "A" class wards (due to private referrals).
3. Doctor, I cannot afford and I need to be in C or B2 class to put into to financial stress. Please refer me to a Polyclinic?

I am not selling insurance but have been lucky to have learnt my lesson from my ops and now covered by insurance. (My ops was covered with a A class charges in "government restructured hospital" by my company. As my ops was urgent and happened to be a Private Consultant and therefor in a Private Hospital. I ended up having to pay some 40% of the bill after claims). What was more worrying was that If I leave the company the insurance is gone. Now, I am insured. Thanks to the ops which have waken me on the insurance system.

Talking about direct treatments or investigations in Private Hospital, Government restructured hospitals or choosing your choice of doctors is totally a different issue. It is a privilege for those who are already insured and can afford the post medical follow up charges.

Balance in the medisave cannot be use to pay medical bills as you wishes. It can be used to buy medical insurance of choice affordable to you.

I repeat, I am not selling insurance or a agent in this interest. I felt obliged to share with all our members, just like sharing of what lens to buy.

Between govt and private : the room and board charges are comparable the same to me.

The main difference is ...doctors fees are not subsidize at private hospital. But the advantage is u get to be seen by the same doctor all the time.

And it is not true all private doctor charge you cut throat pricing. I have heard of cases the private doctor is made known of the patient financial constraint....they can offer flexible payments and lower rates. It is how we speak to the doctor.

But if we are insured 100% then why not let the doctor charged the mkt rate and u claim back from insurers. End of the day, everyone is here to make a living.

When i pay for a L Lens canon...i want results. When i see a doctor, i want to know whats wrong and can he fix me up so i can go out and enjoy shooting under sun rain and storm

Confusing.

Nowadays those integrated shield plans can cover most of the hospital bill. Say you get a 100k bill you only need to pay 3k + 97k x 10% = 12.7k. The insurance company will pay the rest. The premiums are also not that expensive. Point is to go shop around.

Let me share with all this case, and hopefully, all our members can have more peaceful time hereafter. Do the right thing, friends and enjoy your time with your family and hobbies. :heart:

The Case:
My brother in law was a hawker. One fine day he suffers pain and saw a GP.
He took x-rays and was eventually referred to Consultants who have his clinic at Mt. E.

Sad, he was diagnose with Cancer. A course of Medical treatments were proposed.

Shock and don't know what to do with the $$$$ in mind (not pain), he said to the Consultant, "Dr, I am a hawker with no insurance and no $, no CPF funds, how can you help?" Eldest son in NS, Second Son schooling and wife not working.

The Doctor was very professional and referred him to SGH.

On admission, again he ask for help and social worker took over the case.

After a few ops, chemo treatments and in Class C. He pass away, a man just going into the 50s............. and sufferings relief.

What next, come the hospital bill, which is many, many time lesser than a Private hospital. (All ther family member chipped in to help). Thanks also to the government's basic medishield system. It helps too, but not with charges snowballing into Ks.

At this point in time, there is a huge "corruption" in the mind i.e. instead of talking of the lost a family member, "talking about, how lucky it was to have not incurred huge debts to hospital". How sad is this?

What if he stays in the Private Hospital and ended up with huge bills?

Questions are, did he chose to? Out of ignorant? Don't know help is available? Dare not tell Dr or hospital the truth financial position? It will run into K$.

The Q & A here is too long. My sincere suggestions to all is to read up and use you medisafe fund to buy an affordable hospital insurance. It really help you.

Like I have told you, unless the company insurance is portable, once you leave is gone.

Congratulations to all those who have acted wisely. For those who have just learnt this, is still not too late. Even if you are not 100% fit, still go ahead a buy insurance with waiver.

(May this sharing merits be transferred to my brother in law.)

Let me sincerely apologise to the Club Admins for this long note. But it meant good to all.
May all our members and friends live in the best state of health and wisdom.

Buy Term coverage for Hosp and Critical Illness and accident and income protection

Invest the rest with shares and property and unit trusts.

Btw, this is the one I bought. My friend recommended me so I didn't really compare in the market. My premiums a year is only 100+. Best part is almost all hospitalisation expenses have no limit.

http://www.income.com.sg/insurance/EnhancedShield/coverage.asp

""talking about, how lucky it was to have not incurred huge debts to hospital". How sad is this?"

It is true love of money is greater than love of family members. I recall when i was a agent years back...i bring a friend to hospital due to accident ...

i paid for the hosp deposit....the family refuse to pay me back ...told me to wait for the claim...omg ! :bigeyes:

The family stays in landed property can u imagine that. Sad. No Money No Honey sounds so true

Let me share with all this case, and hopefully, all our members can have more peaceful time hereafter. Do the right thing, friends and enjoy your time with your family and hobbies. :heart:

The Case:
My brother in law was a hawker. One fine day he suffers pain and saw a GP.
He took x-rays and was eventually referred to Consultants who have his clinic at Mt. E.

Sad, he was diagnose with Cancer. A course of Medical treatments were proposed.

Shock and don't know what to do with the $$$$ in mind (not pain), he said to the Consultant, "Dr, I am a hawker with no insurance and no $, no CPF funds, how can you help?" Eldest son in NS, Second Son schooling and wife not working.

The Doctor was very professional and referred him to SGH.

On admission, again he ask for help and social worker took over the case.

After a few ops, chemo treatments and in Class C. He pass away, a man just going into the 50s............. and sufferings relief.

What next, come the hospital bill, which is many, many time lesser than a Private hospital. (All ther family member chipped in to help). Thanks also to the government's basic medishield system. It helps too, but not with charges snowballing into Ks.

At this point in time, there is a huge "corruption" in the mind i.e. instead of talking of the lost a family member, "talking about, how lucky it was to have not incurred huge debts to hospital". How sad is this?

What if he stays in the Private Hospital and ended up with huge bills?

Questions are, did he chose to? Out of ignorant? Don't know help is available? Dare not tell Dr or hospital the truth financial position? It will run into K$.

The Q & A here is too long. My sincere suggestions to all is to read up and use you medisafe fund to buy an affordable hospital insurance. It really help you.

Like I have told you, unless the company insurance is portable, once you leave is gone.

Congratulations to all those who have acted wisely. For those who have just learnt this, is still not too late. Even if you are not 100% fit, still go ahead a buy insurance with waiver.

(May this sharing merits be transferred to my brother in law.)

Let me sincerely apologise to the Club Admins for this long note. But it meant good to all.
May all our members and friends live in the best state of health and wisdom.

...... you mean Mt E or Mt V ???

Mt V is for cremations

opps, is mount A, alvernia or something. :embrass: