Why most own 50mm lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just take your zoom lens and try out the two focal lengths with a stationary subject and I believe you will be able to tell the difference ;)

Depends on what you shoot and where you shoot. For me its not cos it is cheap. I have moved from the 1.8 to 1.4 and now a proud owner of the 1.2! :thumbsup:

guess this is the only lens that one can easily afford w an aperture of below f2.any other focal length will cost twice as much, when you are caught in low light, this will save your day. tight pciture better that blur picture.

most valued lens

an affordable prime lens that is sharp and can use easily in low light.

Agreed fully with this. That is why my preferred lens is the Carl Zeiss 35mm F2.

Have you bought the Zeiss 35mm F2? Is it the ZF model that is using Nikon F mount?

Come on, its still boils down to price. Who wouldn't want other lens, prime or zoom or wide if they can choose rather then limited by the price?

Cheap and good and then when you start to like primes, then it will tempt you to buy other prime lens whose price far surpasses the 50 1.8 :eek:

Have you bought the Zeiss 35mm F2? Is it the ZF model that is using Nikon F mount?

Yup, my friend should have bought it in HK yesterday. :D But he will only be back this Sunday :cry:
Yes, the ZF is for Nikon mount.

Cheap and good and then when you start to like primes, then it will tempt you to buy other prime lens whose price far surpasses the 50 1.8 :eek:

That is what's happening to me now. First bought 28-70, then backside itchy and bought the 85 f1.4, got hooked on prime and now got the CZ 35/2.

Would the angle of view be the same if I:

a. use 35mm
b. use 50mm, but take a few steps back such that the subject in focus appear the same size

yes, but perspective will be slightly different.

yes, but perspective will be slightly different.

Quick explanation (from a google)

A wide angle lens sees a wide angle of view. The first thing people think of is that a wide angle lens will let them include more of a scene in the image, and this is true. What they don't consider, however, is what the short focal length will do to the appearance of the subject.

If you were to make a head and shoulders portrait of your best friend using a 20mm lens, you would have to stand a distance of about a foot (30 cm) away from him. At this distance, his nose would be much closer to the lens than his ears, and so the nose would be much bigger proportionally than the ears in the photograph. This is generally not a flattering effect, and so we don't use wide angle lenses to photograph closeups of people.

(I haven't read the whole thing, but that's generally what I meant)

http://www.cameraontheroad.com/?p=899

That is what's happening to me now. First bought 28-70, then backside itchy and bought the 85 f1.4, got hooked on prime and now got the CZ 35/2.

Of course, if you got the extra dough, get the 28/1.4 as well ;p

Yup, my friend should have bought it in HK yesterday. :D But he will be back this Sunday :cry:
Yes, the ZF is for Nikon mount.

Will be joining u soon. CZ 35/2!!!

when using film, I use 50mm as well as 28mm. Will be starting on 35mm soon.
when using DSLR, will use 50mm for portrait shots and/or low light condition only.

Of course, if you got the extra dough, get the 28/1.4 as well ;p

are you referring to Nikon 28mm f1.4? :bigeyes: I dont think can find in SG.

Status
Not open for further replies.