Why don't we discuss this from another angle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheers bro. I did it for free cus he's my friend la. As a gift to them. Apart from that, i won't do free shoot for people i don't know for "port folio".

So what's your purpose of starting this thread here? This is a forum dedicated to discussing photo businesses, not favours for friends.

So what's your purpose of starting this thread here? This is a forum dedicated to discussing photo businesses, not favours for friends.
Don't be so serious. If you read the upper portion, my main intention is to ask about pricing on a start up photographer.

And after reading a lot from photographer's point of view, should we also see this from a client's point of view, which i think i got my answer - Some yes, some no. No fixed answer.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the reply. After reading the advice, there are various school of thoughts, and there is simply no one size fit all solutions. I particularly find that the advice that you determine you own worth is really really useful. I think most likely consumer won't think in term of a photographer's point of view and it's up to the photographer to convince why you are worth those money, through your work. And chill guys, the friend of mine bear no ill intention and i thank him for speaking the truth rather than humouring me. He knows that it's a favour and he offered to pay me, just not that "much" and i rejected him for his request to pay me.

U so nice. I wish i got friend like u. Do free for me then i still can say all that.

If i want to hire my friend for any reasons it is because of trust. Not to hire coz is free or the person willing to do for free. Then again, that is your friend u probably feel u know better than us which is fair enough.

Can i be your friend? Lol.

If i want to hire my friend for any reasons it is because of trust. Not to hire coz is free or the person willing to do for free. Then again, that is your friend u probably feel u know better than us which is fair enough.

Can i be your friend? Lol.

Don't suan me leh. :sweat:

He wanted to remunerate me la. But i dont want.

But i actually wanted the discussion to be on the pricing instead of the episode with my friend. Sorry if my wrong emphasis made the thread to be a little out of point of what i originally wanted it to be.

What you said provided no basis for any meaningful discussion on professional photography work, let alone pricing.

Maybe to you this may not be the most appropriate section to post in and it's a matter of "which thread", but i really thank the fellow clubsnappers who took time to advise and i digested and learnt quite a lot from it.

Although nobody posted exactly a magical figure as an answer to my question, i learnt that sometimes yourself is the only person who can answer your own question.

As an inspiring person who wishes to earn some pocket money without ruining the photography market, i choose to be careful and rather post some so-call non meaningful discussion than just whack straight into it.

Thank you for your time and hope we agree to disagree.

if your purpose is just to make some extra pocket money, than do whatever you please, since you don't have to register a business, you don't have to do any bookkeeping, you don't have to file tax, you don't have to join any trade associations.

so if you really want to protect the industry, not ruining the photography market, than please take this as a business. be serious about it, else nobody will take you seriously.

I think he wants to discuss photo business from the angle of giving free photography.

Such venture can be sustainable and highly satisfying provided his parents are willing to support him to his adult life and beyond. :bsmilie:

Last edited:
I think he wants to discuss photo business from the angle of giving free photography.

Such venture can be sustainable and highly satisfying provided his parents are willing to support him to his adult life and beyond. :bsmilie:

Hahah so funny. Made my morning joke.

And I suppose the natural retort is that it's a free market and if people aren't willing to pay for the professionals then that's life - see how you like it if your company outsources some of your roles to "hobbyists" while reducing your pay, citing that it's a free market. :)

Those people reciting the 'its a free market' mantra are either still free or made not much progress in their rates. While inflation and cost of living ruthlessly climb year after year. You seldom see the same people posting the 'free market' nonsense lately, because they had shutted their mouth up or disappeared into their freedom.

With all due respect, I don't encourage the word "parent" to be involved in the discussion. If you don't know a person's life, don't make such comment.

With all due respect, I don't encourage the word "parent" to be involved in the discussion. If you don't know a person's life, don't make such comment.

I didn't see him insulting your parents. I think he is just poking humor at you. Sion is usually the funny guy here.

I didn't see him insulting your parents. I think he is just poking humor at you. Sion is usually the funny guy here.

I didnt say anyone insulted anyone. You don't even know if the person's parent is alive so don't involve parent when it comes to photography discussion.

if your purpose is just to make some extra pocket money, than do whatever you please, since you don't have to register a business, you don't have to do any bookkeeping, you don't have to file tax, you don't have to join any trade associations.

so if you really want to protect the industry, not ruining the photography market, than please take this as a business. be serious about it, else nobody will take you seriously.

Quite frankly, its absurd to even associate a favour for a friend to running a photography business if you asked me.

Status
Not open for further replies.