Why do you gaffered up your camera/lens ?


Status
Not open for further replies.

bgat

New Member
Mar 26, 2004
61
0
0
44
#1
I have seen or heard many users gaffer here gaffer there on their cameras and lenses which are so beautifully/ergonomically crafted.

Why take away the effort/pride of the camera/lens designers and the joy of yourself and others admiring such a piece of photographic art?

Your reasons please....
 

Drudkh

Senior Member
Mar 2, 2004
6,129
0
0
lulu island
#2
some ppl gaffer it for better griping/handling. afriad sweat might do something to the cam? i don't do that at all. one day i might. :think:
 

V

vince123123

Guest
#4
anyone got a pic of their gaffered camera? am interested to see how its done esp with all the small surfaces...

bgat said:
I have seen or heard many users gaffer here gaffer there on their cameras and lenses which are so beautifully/ergonomically crafted.

Why take away the effort/pride of the camera/lens designers and the joy of yourself and others admiring such a piece of photographic art?

Your reasons please....
 

V

vince123123

Guest
#6
espn post a pic of ur gaffered cam leh, i wanna see how u pros do it :)
tks!

espn said:
offspring :kok: :kok:

:nono: :nono:

NEVER mention the BAH ZHANG.
 

J

Jason H0

Guest
#7
u protects the body so that it can be still a virgin. When the buyer comes when u sell your body he can carcass the body as if it is still pure and untouched. Put in it this way, you are saving the best parts for him.


bgat said:
I have seen or heard many users gaffer here gaffer there on their cameras and lenses which are so beautifully/ergonomically crafted.

Why take away the effort/pride of the camera/lens designers and the joy of yourself and others admiring such a piece of photographic art?

Your reasons please....
 

Stereobox

Senior Member
Dec 21, 2003
2,116
0
0
Cocteau Twins
#8
heheh, i have never thought of 'gaffer-ing' up my cameras until one fine day last week, i walked into Popular Bookstore and picked up a roll.

i guess there are lots of reasons for one to 'gaffer' up a camera, either for practical or aesthetic reasons (?? to preserve the 'original' look lah). for me, it's because the particular camera i'm using tend to have 'detached' skin. i suppose it would be cheaper to just gaffer up the vulnerable places and make do with a 'ugly' camera than to send it in for re-skinning. another reason is to make the cameras appear more 'low-key' by taping up the brand name and model etc. i could be wrong, but i figured people would be less intimidated by a generic-looking all-black camera.

it doesn't really affect how the camera works in any way (if properly taped!!) plus, none of my frens and colleagues seemed to noticed until i specifically point out, "do you see something different about my camera today??" :bsmilie:
 

Garion

Senior Member
Nov 26, 2002
5,528
0
0
44
West side of S'pore
Visit site
#9
One day there will be a "gaffered camera bodies" exhibition at the museum, no prizes for guessing who the artist is... *hint* e**n. :bsmilie: The title would be "The Art of the BaZhang" :D
 

V

vince123123

Guest
#10
im always wondering, how do you guys gaffer up the small nooks and cranies, or uneven surfaces, or even the buttons?

no one got photo of their gaffered cam to share arh?
 

Astin

Senior Member
Mar 2, 2002
4,736
0
36
Astin Studio
astin.clubsnap.org
#11
vince123123 said:
im always wondering, how do you guys gaffer up the small nooks and cranies, or uneven surfaces, or even the buttons?

no one got photo of their gaffered cam to share arh?
Got to ask esp*, u bet he knows how to gaffer up every little bits and pieces.
 

#12
Jason H0 said:
u protects the body so that it can be still a virgin. When the buyer comes when u sell your body he can carcass the body as if it is still pure and untouched. Put in it this way, you are saving the best parts for him.
In that case you should sell the untouched body more than you've bought because it's due to your tender loving care that the body maintains its prestine beauty!
 

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
21,905
0
0
Planet Nikon
#15
Garion :kok:

Astin :kok:


Never ever mention the Bah Zhang :nono:
 

fengwei

Moderator
Staff member
Aug 25, 2004
14,462
12
0
Queenstown
www.pbase.com
#16
Hi Stereobox, which brand gaffle tape you bought from the bookstore? How is it comparing to those from MO? I want to gaffer-up one of my lenses ;)

Thanks and Cheers!

Stereobox said:
heheh, i have never thought of 'gaffer-ing' up my cameras until one fine day last week, i walked into Popular Bookstore and picked up a roll.

i guess there are lots of reasons for one to 'gaffer' up a camera, either for practical or aesthetic reasons (?? to preserve the 'original' look lah). for me, it's because the particular camera i'm using tend to have 'detached' skin. i suppose it would be cheaper to just gaffer up the vulnerable places and make do with a 'ugly' camera than to send it in for re-skinning. another reason is to make the cameras appear more 'low-key' by taping up the brand name and model etc. i could be wrong, but i figured people would be less intimidated by a generic-looking all-black camera.

it doesn't really affect how the camera works in any way (if properly taped!!) plus, none of my frens and colleagues seemed to noticed until i specifically point out, "do you see something different about my camera today??" :bsmilie:
 

Stereobox

Senior Member
Dec 21, 2003
2,116
0
0
Cocteau Twins
#17
it says 'Sliontec'. i don't know how it compares to the MO tapes, cos i have never seen them before. anyway, gaffer tapes they all look n behave the same to me haha! they are most commonly used by film production crews (by grips and..guess what, gaffers) for all kinds of misc. tasks. they are used to secure and tape up exposed film cans too
 

J

Jason H0

Guest
#18
dont forget to gaffer the view finder and the front and back of the lens so that you wont scratch the surfaces

Sion said:
It would be damn cool for someone to gaffer the tripods, camera bag, flash gun, lenses and camera body. Don't you think?

And handphone, belt, wallet and shoes too?
 

Witness

Senior Member
Mar 18, 2004
6,943
0
36
33
www.maverickatwork.com
#19
i only gaffer the edges....to protect them....dun see the point in gaffering up everything...

for film i can understand even better...to prevent the sticky back thing lo...
 

fengwei

Moderator
Staff member
Aug 25, 2004
14,462
12
0
Queenstown
www.pbase.com
#20
Stereobox said:
it says 'Sliontec'. i don't know how it compares to the MO tapes, cos i have never seen them before. anyway, gaffer tapes they all look n behave the same to me haha! they are most commonly used by film production crews (by grips and..guess what, gaffers) for all kinds of misc. tasks. they are used to secure and tape up exposed film cans too
Thanks. Will see if I can find one. I only want to tape one Sigma lens (its coating came off a bit).
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom