Why can't all lens come with 9 rounded aperture blades?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeadEnd

Nov 24, 2006
Ang Mo Kio
www.flickr.com
Does it really add up significant cost to the lens to have a 9 rounded aperture blades for a lens? Cos I find that lens that have 9 aperture blades tends to produce better bokeh. Eg. I have the 50mm AFD1.8, at f1.8, the bokeh is still rounded but when I reduce the aperture to f2.8 onwards, it start to produce hexegon shape bokeh.

Is there really a lot of cost savings to the production to have a 7 aperture blades instead of 9 and compromise on the bokeh?

tell me

Money talks :)

well...you can email the manufacturer...see what they reply...

one of the advantage of Minolta/Sony lenses is it circular shaped blades to produce round or close to round bokeh highlight even when stopped down.

well...you can email the manufacturer...see what they reply...

Isn't this a newbies section? Well, I don't know why that's why I ask this question here hopefully the gurus here have a answer for it.

And I don't think the manufacturer will bother to answer this. Cos there might be a conspiracy theory behind for consumers to upgrade to a 9 rounded aperture blade at a huge profit margin to them.

And I don't think the manufacturer will bother to answer this. Cos there might be a conspiracy theory behind for consumers to upgrade to a 9 rounded aperture blade at a huge profit margin to them.

I think you kinda answered your own question. Its all marketing making people pay more for those little extras. Maybe its also more difficult from an engineering standpoint...

Yup my Tamron 90mm also have 9 blades but not rounded. But my 24-120mm VR have 7 rounded blades

Well don't have to be so perfect unless u're the type who's extremely particular abt bokeh, else a normal 7-diaphragm blade should be enough.

Well don't have to be so perfect unless u're the type who's extremely particular abt bokeh, else a normal 7-diaphragm blade should be enough.
imho, sometimes it is very easily to see funny shaped bokeh without really going around looking at the bokeh.

Not really, unless u really go take careful note of it, but they're more evident when taking lights.
a good example if you want... shot using 80-200 a 9 blade straight aperture. if the backlight spot is stronger, im sure the hexagon bokeh will look worse.

a good example if you want... shot using 80-200 a 9 blade straight aperture. if the backlight spot is stronger, im sure the hexagon bokeh will look worse.

Looks gd enough already. Yes the hexagon one or the pentagon one will definitely look not as gd, but still acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.