why canon don't release lens with useful range

Status
Not open for further replies.

blithevincent

Jul 13, 2006
nikon and others got zoom 18-135mm and etc.., why canon don't have one. At least canon should release some affordable EF-S mount all-round zoom lens, like 17-55mm non IS version. The replacement for kit lens is so few (only 17-55mm IS USM so far)....and the price is to high. why isn't there any mid-priced all-round zoom lens out there. canon should think about this seriously...:angry:

there are the EF 28-135mm IS USM or the EF-S 17-85mm IS USM, both have quite useful range and quite affordable. ?

28-135mm has no wide angle on 1.6x bodies, pass...
17-85mm costs more than 1000S$, and produces infamous poor image qualities, pass...

because they want to milk every last cent out of you got and 'force' you to buy a few lenses over one with your preferred focal length.

sell your DSLR and buy a compact camera with 200 zoom.:devil:

a all in one lens is a master in none.

17-85mm costs more than 1000S$, and produces infamous poor image qualities, pass...

I will not pass any unfair remark about a particular lens unless I have used it. I have the 17-85mm and I can say that other than the barrel distortion and CA, which most post processing software can take care of, the images are not poor as you mentioned. Obviously, you haven't used it and I find your comments rather bias. Take look at these images. They are far from poor quality.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/canonefs1785mmf456isusm/interesting/

ask yourself, does the nikon 18-135 really perform that well also?

so why not move over to Nikon for the useful range lens?
I think if all the Canon users who are unhappy with Canon for not releasing useful range lens, and all switch to Nikon, im sure Canon will release them :)

or go third party?

ef-s 10-22mm? ef-s 60mm? ef-s 17-85mm? ef-s 17-55mm?

or
sigma 17-70mm? sigma 18-125mm? sigma 18-50mm? tamron 17-50mm?

and if you're going to complain either about price or optical quality, why don't you go and buyover canon and then make your own lens? or just take Belle&Sebastain's advice and get a compact dude.

hmm i feel that ur comment on the 17-85 is quite unfair if u've never used it before.I own 1 of it and im quite pleased with the pics.as redstorm's pics show,its far from poor image quality

hmm i feel that ur comment on the 17-85 is quite unfair if u've never used it before.I own 1 of it and im quite pleased with the pics.as redstorm's pics show,its far from poor image quality

Not my pics but a collection of pictures taken by this lens by various users. Am sure many other owners of the 17-85mm lens can vouch for its good quality too.

I will not pass any unfair remark about a particular lens unless I have used it. I have the 17-85mm and I can say that other than the barrel distortion and CA, which most post processing software can take care of, the images are not poor as you mentioned. Obviously, you haven't used it and I find your comments rather bias. Take look at these images. They are far from poor quality.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/canonefs1785mmf456isusm/interesting/

:thumbsup: to the collection of photos you had collected..
had used the 17-85 before and was quite impressed by it but i am kinda in a budget at the moment, would consider it as a future upgrade for my kit lens..

at the moment i am satisfied with my 28-75 :)

nikon and others got zoom 18-135mm and etc.., why canon don't have one. At least canon should release some affordable EF-S mount all-round zoom lens, like 17-55mm non IS version. The replacement for kit lens is so few (only 17-55mm IS USM so far)....and the price is to high. why isn't there any mid-priced all-round zoom lens out there. canon should think about this seriously...:angry:

Bro, what exactly do you want?

Something like "L" quality yet costs $500++? :dunno:

Canon lenses suck. Don't buy any of them and quit photography.

Possible but does not always work.
As you know, the color and contrast out of the kit lens ie pretty low.

heh... nothing a bit of PS cant fix tho...

I think the 17-85 IS USM is a mid range lens. Good range and with sufficient lens quality.

18-55 entry level
17-85 mid range
17-55 luxurious :p

Did you own a copy of the 17-85IS? If yes, care to post so images taken with this lense? If no, then base on what ground it produce poor images?
Dont assume!:nono: Try it out first before you comment on anything.Dont be bias.

well, seems I have badly hurt the feeling of those 17-85mm owners...
My fault. I respect your investment, and it's understandable that you would defend your investment (face is important). but I am saying the truth...unfortunately
Why we must need to spend money and experience everything before we can judge it, we are smart people, we do research and learn from other's experience. I would post a comparison chart (if you could read chinese).
272885393_87a75cd24b_b.jpg

I think you don't get my point...
what I want is a EF-s mount lens with useful range, can produce fair image quality, with decent built and costs S$500++. ;p "L" quality? never thought of...

Bro, what exactly do you want?

Something like "L" quality yet costs $500++? :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.