WHy Blur Blur in Portait??

Status
Not open for further replies.

langzi

Nov 11, 2007
North-West of Sg
Hi all...

me pretty new to using DSLR. still in Auto mode!!! ;p

ever since i got my D80.... had used it a few times le....

but i realised something..... when i took in landscape, the pix is ok... sharp & clear. But when i took in portait.... the pix seen blur blur one...

Why is it so??? :dunno:

Tried to keep as still as possbile le... but still got this problem.

can the experts advise me hw should i do to prevent blur blur pix???

Thanks.... ;)

Hi all...

but i realised something..... when i took in landscape, the pix is ok... sharp & clear. But when i took in portait.... the pix seen blur blur one...

Thanks.... ;)

I suggest switching to M mode.
A dslr in Auto mode is not a DSLR.

Set shutter accordingly to lightings and F value at 2.2-2.5/2.8

M mode!!! :bigeyes:

abit too chim for me now.

but 1 dun understand why in landscape the pic turned out to be sharp but not in portait!!! :dunno:

it could be a hand shake...
or maybe using too wide aperture... maybe F1.8..???
or subject is moving...
or too slow shutter speed...

or maybe you need to shoot more...
practice makes a difference...

Bro please show your pic, if you do not mind people laughing at it (Not me definitely). I never thought someone will say such phrases something like, "WTH, I almost roll on the floor laughing after seeing your pictures!" when I posted my picture.

Well I do get very useful and supportive comments by respected photographers like Dennisc and such. Just to inform you to be prepared for mocking comments, which I did not prepare for to that extent and felt kinda hurt.

Another example of the bad advice you can get here. Don't worry, your D80 is still a D80 even if you are on Auto mode. Don't listen to the people who tell you that if you don't shoot on M, you don't know what you are doing.

However, you will not get the best out of your camera until you learn the relationships between ISO, Shutter Speed and Aperture and also how Aperture, Focal Length and Distance affects Depth of Field. I suggest you go to the library and get a book on photography which caters for beginners and you read and experiment.

Unless you can post a shot with some settings info, we cannot really give any more guidance here. What you are referring too (blur blur) might actually mean that your subject is sharp but your background is blurred, which is the effect that many people want when shooting portraits.

no picture to show??

ok, my guess is you took the portrait at indoor without flash, and zoom in, the shutter speed is too low for you do handheld, end result: handshake, photo blur.

solution:
increase ISO,
use smaller number of f-stop value (bigger aperture)
use flash
use tripod

else bring the person to outside

Hi all...

Thanks.... ;)

Maybe it's just the way you hold the camera in portrait and landscape mode. In portrait mode, people tend to have their elbows sticking out to the side, which supposedly "increases" shake. So like your Sergeant Major will tell you, TUCK THE ELBOW IN. :bsmilie:

alternatively, get a battery grip which has a vertical release. ;)

my guess is your landscape pics turn out sharp because there is no specific point of focus to note the lack of sharpness.

your portrait shots turn out out of focus because u do not select the appropriate focus point to lock onto your subject.

all of it is because u dun manually select your af point.

Few reasons. One could be your too close to the subject? What lens are you using? Another would be DOF too shallow or could be the person is in indoors? etc so many possibilities, pic speaks a thousand words, no pic no tok. haha don't keep us guessing

I'm also starting to learn about photography. Please post a pic and allow me to learn at the same time... :)

you need to post picture

no picture, no one can tell you what is wrong

can black out your face if you want

you mean put a mosaic on the face, so the person is unidentifiable izit?

mosaic or happily use paintbrush to draw black spot over the face, both work :bsmilie:

i mean, we need to see picture, but in case ts is shy, give him suggestion first

mosaic or happily use paintbrush to draw black spot over the face, both work :bsmilie:

i mean, we need to see picture, but in case ts is shy, give him suggestion first

yah, yah.. If the face is the sharpest portion of the image (it's a portrait isn't it?), then it's as good as no information. ;p

yah, yah.. If the face is the sharpest portion of the image (it's a portrait isn't it?), then it's as good as no information. ;p

hrmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

ya hor. then how :dunno: aiya, ts, just take picture of your soft toy la, until you can get the same result. and post it up, if you are shy. if you're not just show the original blur blur portrait pic :)

DSLR in auto mode? please lah, dont waste your machine. better buy a point and shoot one. Just practice and experiment brother thats all you need.

lol... i tink we shd stop "spamming" replies and wait for TS to reply, and show us a photo (and EXIF too) of what he meant.
else all these talk are quite useless. :)

will do so soon....thanks...

guess i need to create those online photo album thingy

u can upload directly into the gallery of clubsnap if u don't wish to create an online photo album at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.