why are K series mf lenses more expensive compared to M series?

pewpewpew

Jul 25, 2010
i noticed that K series lenses are substantially more expensive than M series lenses, even though they hail from an older lineage

is it because they are relatively more scarce? or is it that their build is more perfect, with better optics?

because ive a M 50/1.7 and im totally obssessed with it already, considering which other mf lens to go for..

Yes.
They are considered more vintage, less common and better built mechanically. There are also some very good lenses in that series.
'M' series are usually smaller, and slower because of smaller designs.

I would consider the 'A' series to be more convenient to use. Supports Av mode, auto metering, PTTL. But the really good stuff in that series is hard to find and very expensive. Personally, I don't make much distinction between the series. Just get the ones consider good, necessary, within budget and avaliable. :)

Last edited:
The M series are mechanically much better than most if of the modern AF lenses itself. If you want best built, you'll probably have to look for Leica. Ok, That's probably out of point here... d:

Collectors play a part in the price.
The better build, more rare and reputed lenses are sort after.

IMHO...
If you need good IQ the P-M lenses are the best value.
The P-A lenses are easier to use with slightly better IQ ... well build but not better than P-M.
The Takumars are just :heart:ly lenses... I am not sure if the IQ is better... but they are just :heart:ly. M42 lenses needs to stop down though.

k135/2.5 lens optical been the best, that what they claimed at pentax forum and this
is what i get with my K20D + k135/2.5..

IMGP7251.JPG

IMGP7236.JPG

Hope you know why. Thanks

OPERA58 Re: why are K series mf lenses more expensive compared to M series?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
k135/2.5 lens optical been the best, that what they claimed at pentax forum and this
is what i get with my K20D + k135/2.5..

Hope you know why. Thanks

Hi bro OPERA58:

You finally speak :)

Well said, and those are really wonderful pictures ;)

Last edited: