Why are CMOS sensors used in DSLR? I thought CCD's better than CMOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ralliart12

Sep 25, 2004
JE, Singapore
I'd wanted to ask this question a long time ago...when I read the specifications of a few high-end DSLRs, I notice their sensors're CMOS instead of CCD, & my impression was that CMOS sensors're only used in low, real low-end cameras like those integrated into mobile phones, or cheap digicams, but why are they found in DSLRs?

ralliart12 said:
I'd wanted to ask this question a long time ago...when I read the specifications of a few high-end DSLRs, I notice their sensors're CMOS instead of CCD, & my impression was that CMOS sensors're only used in low, real low-end cameras like those integrated into mobile phones, or cheap digicams, but why are they found in DSLRs?
The Nikon D2H and D1X are using CMOS? Nah... They use CCD... I read that CMOS sensors are better at capturing detail in low light... :think:

nickmak said:
The Nikon D2H and D1X are using CMOS? Nah... They use CCD...

D2H doesn't use CCD as the sensor, it uses LBCAST, a variant of CMOS.

However, D1X, D100 and D70 do.

AJ23 said:
D2H doesn't use CCD as the sensor, it uses LBCAST, a variant of CMOS.

However, D1X, D100 and D70 do.
Ooopppsss... my bad... but still close enough! :bsmilie:

ralliart12 said:

DSLR sensor is very big and it is cheapper to made CMOS than CCD for such big size and CMOS use less battery then CCD
of cos these CMOS are much much much .... much better build then those found in phone or web cam ....
thats what i know but may not be exactly right :bsmilie:

CMOS, CCD, LBCAST, IAMAACHIP,.... WHATHAVEYOU,

are all just different technologies that work best at that point of time, according to the manufacturers. nothing much to worry about :D

The N-brand users always say Canon DSLR are toy cameras because they use CMOS

But now..... :D

Anyway, Canon CMOS has very good track record - low noise, low power consumption, less dust attracting. Ff not why the other brand also adopt it right?

Status
Not open for further replies.