Who will insist on buy 2nd lens with box, manual, plastic, foam....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have been meeting ppl who want lens with box. :sweat:

Price ok then ask got box. NO BOX = NO DEAL!:confused:

Last week meet up with one at Clementi and turn away because NO BOX...on the spot!!! I was :angry: because he should have ask 1st. Maybe my fault (I assume) because i think everyone here understand 2nd lens will not have any box with it because myself normally do not keep unless is camera.

Today one more guy!! Rational....will be difficult to resell again in future.:dunno:

Just curious how many of us here will not buy 2nd lens without box and box item like plastic bag, foam etc.
I think you were out of luck with your buyers. I have previously sold lenses and cameras and told the sellers that probably I have the box etc somewhere around the house. Even when I found it and call them, some say no need.

I guess it is best to ask if they want the box from now on. I do sometimes find the boxes useful when I decide to sell on ebay. When sending to the states etc it is much easier (and probably safer?) to pack a $2000 lens in its original box so that it doesn't move (at least that's my experience). Having said that I had sold and posted expensive lenses without the boxes with no problems, so no hard rules.

What do I do with the boxes.. under the sink for as long as they take.. Do note though, that I consider manuals useful, especially with tech details, like lens performance or camera / flash manual.

Hope that helps, and I sympathise with your unplesant experiences. Hope future ones would be better, there are lots of good guys (buyers and sellers here).

And of course I would buy a lens without a box, if you have the box even better.... it goes straight under the sink :)

-- Marios

personally i kept all the boxes and repack them as when bought new to my seller :bsmilie:.
for buying, i prefer to get the deal with box(complete packaging normally) if the prices are the same, but i don mind box-less if the lens is really of old age. Somehow it just feels a part missing from the lens without the box and also it is sort of a safe-guard if u plan to resell it in future.

Mmm... Maybe i should sell my camera and lenses boxes in B&S. :bsmilie:

when I buy cameras or lenses, I keep the whole packaging box, down to the plastic bag, if I sell the cameras and lenses away, I will give everything to the buyer.

if you don't have the packaging box when you selling your lens, state clear in your post.

That's just one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

My boxes go straight to the recycling bin. And when I buy 2nd hand lens, as long as the lens is working, who cares.
this is not dumb, if you have sell used cameras and lenses before you will know.

of course nobody will keep packaging boxes for TV, DVD player, computer, washing machine, fridge, etc.

i will always say no box when i sell anything.. actually i will say everything that it has, if i didn't say means don't have.

so if they not happy dun buy...

next time u know... all kinds of pple out there lar :)

Mmm... Maybe i should sell my camera and lenses boxes in B&S. :bsmilie:

Damn, you beat me to the idea :bsmilie: My collection :

338437059_EWED8-L.jpg

i will always say no box when i sell anything.. actually i will say everything that it has, if i didn't say means don't have.

When I sell on eBay I make it a point of taking a photo of the item with the box if I have it. It seems to help the item sell better.

Edit : I guess I forgot to answer the TS's question. Yes, I would buy without box or manual if the kens is otherwise in great condition.

Reminds me of BnS of Rolex watches. :bsmilie:
Cos with and without box and papers, price difference can be a few hundred dollars.
Of cos we're talking about different type of boxes here.

Then wife will come shouting why so many empty box..... throw all these stupid box away....;(

Well, my mom threw away one of my new purchase box during the CNY spring cleaning.. along with my warranty card and receipt.... haiz. Luckily 6months had passed not with no issue else cannot send in for repair and claim warranty.

Normally I will flaten the box and put them in a big box and use a big plastic bag to keep dust away. I also know of some ppl who collect boxes.. Rational..... cannot afford the lens, keep the box also siok..

Well, my mom threw away one of my new purchase box during the CNY spring cleaning.. along with my warranty card and receipt.... haiz. Luckily 6months had passed not with no issue else cannot send in for repair and claim warranty.

Normally I will flaten the box and put them in a big box and use a big plastic bag to keep dust away. I also know of some ppl who collect boxes.. Rational..... cannot afford the lens, keep the box also siok..
not shiok to keep the box if cannot afford, it just keep reminding u :bsmilie:, more heartpain.

How come it looks like ink toner to me :bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

:bsmilie:

Regarding collapsing the box, that would mean you'll have to throw away the foam / plastic bags and stuff, defeating the purpose of keeping the box in the first place (easier to ship). I keep the manuals that I don't need, any CDs, receipt and warranty cards in their respective boxes to make it easier to find if I ever need them.

not shiok to keep the box if cannot afford, it just keep reminding u :bsmilie:, more heartpain.

Yeah, that's a pretty strange thing to do (at least regarding Canon lenses - I guess some boxes could look nice enough to be collector's items, but not Canon lens boxes).

Why not get a poster with their entire line of lenses instead if they're so... enthusiastic about the lenses? I'm sure Canon has one.

I am no fussy buyer as well. But different buyers have different buying habits.

The buyer is not wrong to state that he wants a box. It is not his fault if the seller does not state upfront

Recently I got a very beautiful working copy of an EM ( ok i did not ask for the box ) . The box came as a surprise. The receipt dated 1979 was even more surprising :bsmilie:

Ryan

Keeping the box also reminds me of the price I paid for the lens (if the sticker is there). Also it helps to give confidence to the buyer when the serial number on the documentation matches with the lens itself. Aside from the packing issue, it helps when the condition of the box matches the lens as it sends the message that seller is meticulous and takes care of his gear. Can definitely affect selling price. As a buyer, I definitely will prefer a box, if not I just might ask for a lower price. :bsmilie:

maybe the buyer already have a "buyer" for the lens, then on finding that the price is "right", he intend to buy from the seller then quickly resell it. but on finding that there is no box, he can't sell it to the intended "buyer", so he doesn't want it anymore w/o the box?

it would be strange that someone who bought the lens to use it would want the box so badly.. unless he planning to sell it later?

I will not insist for the box if the lens is working fine or the lens was hard to find. Recently I just purchased a lens that is out of production with the box only, without form, plastic and manual. :)

Maybe someone can open up a shop selling 2nd-hand lens box ?

Status
Not open for further replies.