White band on photos

Macky

Nov 24, 2004
Central
Hi everyone. I am having this white banding problem when using my 5DMk3. It doesn't happen all the time. The band is sometimes narrower some broader. Doesn't seem to matter what lens I use. And it always appears on the long side of the photo. Never the short side. Also had the same problem when using the 1DsIII some time ago but it seemed to resolve by itself. Is it a shutter problem?

Would appreciate any advice or comments. Thanks!

$Screenshot 2014-10-09 12.57.16.jpg

Yeah, it does look like a shutter problem.
Why not bring in to CSC to check and confirm?

Yeah, it does look like a shutter problem.
Why not bring in to CSC to check and confirm?

Ya. I was going to bring it down to clean the sensor anyway. Perhaps I'll get them to check it. But if its a shutter issue, why doesn't it happen to all the shots? Only some of the shots are affected.

It can be file corruption. Try using a different memory card. Happened to me once. Just a bad card. ;)

Hmmm... don't think its a card problem. Was using different cards. Anyway the cards are all new.

Ya. I was going to bring it down to clean the sensor anyway. Perhaps I'll get them to check it. But if its a shutter issue, why doesn't it happen to all the shots? Only some of the shots are affected.

It could be related to the shutter speed.
Can you check the shutter speeds for different shots with/without the problem and see if there is a pattern?

It could be related to the shutter speed.
Can you check the shutter speeds for different shots with/without the problem and see if there is a pattern?

Good idea. I'll check. Thanks!

I know it is a long shot, but is your 5D using the latest firmware? Try looking into that too.

This person posted about a similar issue with a 1Dsmk3: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/2820809

Thanks for the link!! Looks like might be the same problem. But shutter failure on a new camera? I'll bring it to Canon. Also strange that my 1Ds3 had that same problem a few years ago. But only about 10 frames affected and absolutely no problems with it since. Weird!!