Whicn Lense Next?

Thanks for the 12-24 suggestions. I have been checking the photos I have taken and quite a few of them are in the 33 - 35 mm range. To use the 12-24 as the primary would require rethinking of how I take photos, but yet it is a big investment for something used occasionally.

hi TS
just to share ... I use to shoot 24-70/2.8 ... it's AF is tack fast and image is sharp. I like it becos it didn't have VR which will affect your AF.
I sold it for primes many months back.
in terms of low light and sharpness, nothing beats prime but you need to plan and move a lot if you have just one body and many primes.

now my collection is Nikon 24/2.8, sigma 35/1.4, nikon 85/1.4G, Nikon 70-200:2.8G and Nikon 200-400/4G.

my widest now is merely 24mm and I use stitching in CS for Panarama shooting, and had turn out pretty well.

16-35/4 is sharp and light but distortion is pretty bad. I will pass this lens and get 14-24.

I also realised recently that I do get bothered by distortion. The 24-85 at 24, I noticed that the horizon and the concrete one the floor weren't straight. I think it wasn't at f8 type of lighting ie. end of day, hence the lens was probably wide open. Thanks for the perspective.

Thanks for the 12-24 suggestions. I have been checking the photos I have taken and quite a few of them are in the 33 - 35 mm range. To use the 12-24 as the primary would require rethinking of how I take photos, but yet it is a big investment for something used occasionally.

12-24? U meant Sigma 12-24mm?

I also realised recently that I do get bothered by distortion. The 24-85 at 24, I noticed that the horizon and the concrete one the floor weren't straight. I think it wasn't at f8 type of lighting ie. end of day, hence the lens was probably wide open. Thanks for the perspective.

Distortion can be corrected easily in Adobe Lightroom or Photoshop. That's not an issue with buying a lens. The issue is how u use the inherent distortions to produce different perspectives and stunning photos, especially if u dwell into landscape photography. For me, I love the distortions at 24mm when shooting landscapes, coz the image appears wider than actual with the barrel distortions.

More of the Nikon 14-24. Not thinking about the 3rd party lenses at this stage. Experience with 3rd party lenses has been so-so thus far ... Tamron 35-105 28 MF was so-so, Voightlander 28 asp with LTM adapter doesn't aligh properly ...

Distortion can be corrected easily in Adobe Lightroom or Photoshop. That's not an issue with buying a lens. The issue is how u use the inherent distortions to produce different perspectives and stunning photos, especially if u dwell into landscape photography. For me, I love the distortions at 24mm when shooting landscapes, coz the image appears wider than actual with the barrel distortions.

Have not gotten around to serious PP ... I think for the budget lenses, need to stop down quite a bit to achieve optimal results.

Just tested the 24-70 at Nikon Centre. IQ and focusing is faster than 24-85, still takes it a split second to adjust to tricky lighting situations. Weight is ok, not as heavy as I thought. Seem to recall that it was lighter than the Zeiss equivalent for Sony.

Still mulling ... the plus side is Nikon can do a free cleaning and replace the shutter for free. :)

Just tested the 24-70 at Nikon Centre. IQ and focusing is faster than 24-85, still takes it a split second to adjust to tricky lighting situations. Weight is ok, not as heavy as I thought. Seem to recall that it was lighter than the Zeiss equivalent for Sony.

Still mulling ... the plus side is Nikon can do a free cleaning and replace the shutter for free. :)

Free cleaning and replace the shutter for free, seriously ? Shutter plate ? :bigeyes:

Free cleaning and replace the shutter for free, seriously ? Shutter plate ? :bigeyes:

Not sure if it is just for the D600. I am not a heavy user and I don't think I have the dust/oil issues that many had. If they are indeed replacing the shutter with one similar to the D610, I am not complaining even if I have to leave it there for 5 days.