Which Will You Buy For Event Photographer ? D 800 or D 800E

smalltiger

Mar 30, 2006
Chinatown
Hi all members. I thot of buying one of this cam. I don't know which cam is better. Hope those who have the cam can give me some advise on this. I shoot mainly on events & sometime wedding. Thanks in adv;)

smalltiger said:
Hi all members. I thot of buying one of this cam. I don't know which cam is better. Hope those who have the cam can give me some advise on this. I shoot mainly on events & sometime wedding. Thanks in adv;)

Can go for D700 / D3 or D300s.

All here look more professional when you holding the cam with FX lens & SB-900/910.

That is what my advise

I'd go for the following, in accordance to priority:

1. D4
2. D3s
3. D3
4. D800 / D300s
5. D700

To explain rank no. 4: if you need to full frame and/or high ISO capability, go for the D800. If you need the speed, go for the D300s.

If you cannot afford the D800, go for the D700.

I also owned a D3 wish to buy any 1 too is D800 better or D800E better in term of sharpness ?

Die Hard said:
I also owned a D3 wish to buy any 1 too is D800 better or D800E better in term of sharpness ?

D800E is more like the landscape or architectural user needed. Cause can took very fine line.

For portraits I'm still prefer the D800 only good enough.

Cause sometime too sharpness is not that good idea. All the sharper can be using f8 and above or adjust the sharpness only or used the pro lens.

Ha ha

Last edited:
Hi rain5533. Thanks for your advice. So I better get the D800 as now the D4 pricing are sky high now :)

no. tested both with the leica r apo 100 macro and the zeiss 100 makro-planar. you can get the same output as the d800e with 20% more sharpening for the d800 file over the d800e.

a very controversial statement to make. but i stand by it. on disadvantage - you may sharpen more noise to high visibility status at higher iso.

for all around events coverage. Nikon D3S is still the best. blazing fast autofocus, 9 frames per second, manageable 12MP files that save well, print well and enlarge well.

comparing large prints A0 prints between the D3X and D3S. i'd say. no difference for comparable ISOs. the D3X prints well at 1600, the D3s prints superbly at 6400.

how i came to this conclusion - i photographed a bride in excellent light, same pose with both cameras. cos she wanted "large prints" for the wedding. like. LARGE PRINTS. no, you don't get me. ****LARGE PRINTS***** 1.5mx1m

and she sent in the 12MP D3S ones by mistake to the printer. Came out just fine.

Thanks everyone for the input. Guess I will go for the D800 with Motor Drive :)

smalltiger said:

He he what is motor drive?

Built-in Motor for AF works on auto focus, this is what I guess :)

D800 actually in the recent design is really good enough, in future dunno will like a D700?

Cause you can have this in D800 for using FX lens and selected the crop factor of your shooting distance :

b668d0c7.jpg

Last edited:

You should have the choice in your mind, just testing other cs... haha

I use D3s as my primary body and D800 as secondary! Upgrading my D3s to D4 soon, still waiting for the stock! :D

lloh108 said:
I use D3s as my primary body and D800 as secondary! Upgrading my D3s to D4 soon, still waiting for the stock! :D

Wah congrats of your both new cars...

Both not.

Best is get D4 or D3s.

Cowseye said:
Another 4k to save memory space and processing time? I don't feel it's worth the ROI.. D3s is arguable though.

Ha ha agree with you.

If the customer enquiry for needed large print?
Then how? To be processing another 4k an get D800.

This time dunno when can be recover your bank :)

Last edited:
I would pick up D3s for high frame rate & low light performance. 12MP can do a lot already.
Second body can be D300s/D700.

Unless you do video, D4 would makes sense too.