Which software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbo73

Jul 17, 2006
Bukit Timah
Hi folks
I've been using the standard Canon software for some years for multiple cameras but have upgraded to DSLR and better lenses for image quality and thought it would be worthwhile doing the same for software.

I genuinely don't think I can utilise the full might of CS2 as I'd likely use it for minor tweaks but would welcome suggestions...

Currently looking at Silkypix for the raw conversion (Developer Studio 2.0. is 16,000 Yen = 220 SGD approx) http://www.isl.co.jp/SILKYPIX/english/ and PS Elements 4.0 @ 150 SGD (ish) for the processing of the 16 bit TIFF

Any comments or suggestions for hobbyist software?

:dunno:

Cheers

Yep - I'm still using DPP I must admit. Not sure what the gripe is with the RAW conversion software but it seems to be ok to do the basics of adjusting exposure and coverting to TIFF.

Just been in Funan and the Education versions of CS2 seem to be everywhere for about 440-450 SGD. When I sam the full version at 1k SGD a while ago I definitely looked for alternatives but at 400 SGDish, it has suddenly become interesting (compared with 140SGD for Elements 4.0).

Maybe use DPP for exposure modification & conversion and then CS2 (Education) for the manipulation borders, signatures etc. I'm not planning on selling my images so no reason why I should buy the commercial version.

If I find out that Silkypix or Raw Shooter Pro are much better than DPP then I may look into converting that part of my workflow later...

photoshop element 4? i heard it is a simplified version of photoshop CS2 and most of the tool are meant for photographers :dunno:

Yep - Element 4.0 is the cut down version of CS2. But there are 2 versions of CS2. The full commercial version @1k SGD or so :faint: and the "Education" version @ 440 SGD :thumbsup: . It was an easy decision (Elements 4.0 all the way) until I spotted the CS2 Education version which is nearer my price range.

The difference between Education version and the full Commercial version isn't 100% clear to me but talking to a few guys in Funan ( :think: ), they didn't see any reason why a hobbyist couldn't use the Education one. It's basically not intended for company/commercial use which is fine with me...

That would bring me back to DPP for early stage processing and Photoshop CS2 for tarting up and the odd HDR workflow.

Anyone know any different?

To answer my own questions (!!)...

Student question
“Is the Education version a scaled-down version? How is it different than the more expensive retail version I see being sold at other computer stores?”

Answer
The Education and retail versions are virtually identical — we do not modify the software itself. To differentiate the product offering between education and retail, we may remove some clip art, some fonts, or other non-application resources. So really, the only difference is price. Student customers can be assured that this as an opportunity to get the “full version” without paying the “full price”.

There are more Q&A here... http://www.adobe.com/education/purchasing/faq.html ...worth noting it CAN be used for commercial sales once you graduate (or even before).

If CS3 comes out (?!) you can also purchase the upgrade pack to go from Education to full version.

Anyone out there with experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.