Which SLR Camera for a Newbie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
sunnierain said:
thank you all very much for the recommendation.... i guess the F80 shall be it..... thanks once again....

F80 + mb16 is abt slightly less than $800 now..
maybe u can get the AFS24-85..
nitrotech selling tat lens at $350, i think.. go check it out! :)

this combo is enuff to last u for a while b4 the lust for zoom or ultra wide eats into u! :blah:

oh... u'll need to get a flash too!
ranges frm $200 for a Sigma EF500ST to $500+ for Nikon SB-80DX.. :)

sunnierain said:
thank you all very much for the recommendation.... i guess the F80 shall be it..... thanks once again....
hi, just received the i-quote from Cathayphoto. $600 for F80 and another $600 for the 28-105 lens. reasonable price?

the F80 body sounds cheap.... i paid 700 for the date version. a year ago. expensive...

i think the lens can be obtained cheaper at the camera workshop. about 585. save 15 bucks hehe...

hi,

i do have a Canon A70. Quite fun...

as for the Nikon F75 and F80, noticed that the former has more shooting mode, just wondering whether a newbie like me would get frustrated trying to manipulate the F80 with lesser shooting modes?

what's the learning curve like to master usage of a SLR? would be my first film camera...... daunting...... but exciting.....

sunnierain said:
hi,

as for the Nikon F75 and F80, noticed that the former has more shooting mode, just wondering whether a newbie like me would get frustrated trying to manipulate the F80 with lesser shooting modes?

what's the learning curve like to master usage of a SLR? would be my first film camera...... daunting...... but exciting.....

Fast if you already know the basic of a camera. Though you might need to write down your setting and wait till the shoot is develope to know if you're right or not.

What you mean when you say the F75 have more shooting mode? Oh I get you. You mean the Portrait, Landscape, Close-Up, Sports, Night Portrait mode? Well, in my view, I think these modes just hinder your learning curve. For example, we know that we'll need a small aperature for landscape cos of the max DOF. Also, a big aperature would be good for that portrait feel and shallow DOF. So, if you already know all these, the F75 extre modes wouldn't be helpful to you.

My point of view, if you're really serious about photography, get the F80. It's a good entry level camera for SLRs. You'll soon grow out of the F75 in no time...

Hope this is helpful...

sunnierain said:
Hi all,

any recommendations for a decent SLR camera & lens for a newbie? budget is >$1200.

am kindda troubled :sweat: over this pending purchase, no time to find out more information as well (also, those specs are Greek to me)... :dunno:

advice needed... thanks for the help! :cheers:

Well...why not consider 2nd hand. Consider the following Nikon set up for film SLR :
F80+35-105mm+SB28(flash)

sunnierain said:
hi, just received the i-quote from Cathayphoto. $600 for F80 and another $600 for the 28-105 lens. reasonable price?

just some suggestions.

get the F80 body from Cathay Photo or MS Colours. i think MS Colours always slightly cheaper than Cathay. not so sure about ALan Photo.

F80 = S$600
if i were u, i will get the AF 50mm f1.8D lens for S$185.
that makes it arnd S$800.
left with arnd S$400.

the MB16(S$100+ from Cathay)not that important yet.. might put it further behind ur priority.
i think you should handle basic photography, understanding the lighting and the ISO of films and how to make the best use of ur lenses and natural lighting. this is more important than getting a flash unit which is an obvious advance level.
maybe u're already at an advance level of which i don't know, then maybe u can decide to get a nice 2nd hand flash such as SB26 @ arnd S$300 used.
there, the S$400 on the SB26 and MB16 battery/grip pack.

or alternatively,

F80 = S$600
AF28-105 f3.5-4.6D 2nd hand @ arnd S$450.
then get a MB16 with the left over.

sunnierain said:
hi,

those extra shooting modes are no use at all... all you need is the MASP modes. they sorta disregard your intelligence, if you know what i mean.

Hi!

just to close the loop - finally bought a F80 (date version) for $680 and a 28-200mm G lens for $525. :p

any suggestions on what i should be looking at next so that i can start preparing my pockets? :bigeyes:

thanks for the advice folks!

sunnierain said:
Hi!

just to close the loop - finally bought a F80 (date version) for $680 and a 28-200mm G lens for $525. :p

any suggestions on what i should be looking at next so that i can start preparing my pockets? :bigeyes:

Get the SB80DX, good flash. Won't be needing any other after that...:D

You might want to consider a fixed lens. 50mm? Or perhaps a micro lens.
28-200 should give you ample zoom for most shots unless you want to take birds at the bird park...:)

sunnierain said:
Hi!

congratulation!
i would buy a tripod so that you can take night shots...

helloo....

watashi again... like to find out what kind of price would you pay for a tripod for someone using a F80D

my friend went to Cathay and the nice uncle recommended a tripod that costs about $300plus... looks like a very decent one, but we thought it's quite a big investment since we are just beginners...

what say you? what kind of features should we look for in a tripod?

thanks!!!

sunnierain said:
what say you? what kind of features should we look for in a tripod?
Should have three legs first :D
Ok, guess you dont need to go for all those hi-fi tripods. Not until you are sure you need them.
Just look for something which will support the weight of your Camera+Grip+the hugest lens you have or planning to get soon.
Go for the ones with Quick release heads. Max height shouold be such that you can have the viewfinder at your eye-level easily.
Dont go for features that you wont think you will use. every additional feature is some grams of weight you will always have to carry over.
Aluminuim should be good enough. But if you own a bank, you can try Carbon Fiber ones.
Hope that helps.
(Disclaimer... all these my personal opinion only)

Status
Not open for further replies.