Which prosumer shld i buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifesaving

Oct 19, 2007
Hi guys i just need some advise which cam should i buy.

Good day pics as well as good night shot. Technology i believe pana have better spec to H9. What do you guys think? IS these two one of the best prosumer you can find in the market?

I have narrow down from a few camera to this two.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 VS Sony H9

Getting my cam on friday so advise needed as well as the price package for FZ18.

Regards.

in terms of specs wise, I'll go for the Panasonic since it can take RAW files and has a longer focal range than the H9. But I do like the tilting 3" LCD, which has a higer resolution and the faster shutter speed of the H9.

For pricing, you may want to get a quote from the major recommended shops here.

Good day pics as well as good night shot. Technology i believe pana have better spec to H9. What do you guys think? IS these two one of the best prosumer you can find in the market?

Getting my cam on friday so advise needed as well as the price package for FZ18.

Regards.

For the price why not consider Nikon D40 Kit? You're going to get a whole lot more useable pictures out of it than the 2 prosumers in contention.

Between the two, get the H9. You get an articulated LCD and nightshot too!

If you DO decide to go for a DSLR, I suggest the Sony A100 so you get built-in anti-shake too.

Regards.

pana have more noise and may need to cap at ISO 100/200 than sony but do go to dcresourse and do a comparsion between their ISO 200 and 400 night shots.

between the 2 panny should have better IS while sony have better noise reduction which will result in slightly softer pics and some loss of detail.

given the big screen that sony has, battery life should no doubt be weaker and panny is improving more on their battery life after their constant lineup of FZ series.

for panny after 380/400mm, good luck in trying to have non-blur shots in cloudy/low light days.
so to go tele focus better to mount on tripod, the stabilizer can only help you so much.
if you dont need so much zoom can consider FZ8 as well.

ms colour and alan photo should have good pricing about the cams but better to get e-quotes as black and white before going down.
alan photo does not really give good customer service, so beware!

I'd go for the panansonic with the leica lens, I have the FZ7 and so far it's real worth the $549, great colour, good zoom, only gripe would be noise buildup at low-light situations, battery life's good. Sony requires you to use its memory stick which is more costly.

Eh, who told you pana takes good pics day and night? I've used the fz series vs nikon, olympus, sony, etc and pana rated absolutely last due to high noise on norm iso. I personally own pana digicams and I don't mind throwing it out as garbage.
But decision if not mine.

Both are good camera with reknown len makers backing on the products. I would suggest that you test out both cameras (eg indoor shoot to test out the ISO sensitivity & IS function) at the shop before u buy. I think both camera should have similar build quality:)

sorry to spread negativity again, i'm hoping that if i repeat myself enough people will start listening.

when buying cameras, YOU AND ONLY YOU will be able to decide what you want to buy.

everytime i see a thread regarding what camera to buy, if it is asking about dslr, people will tell them buy mark III, d3. then others will tell them buy 350d, d40x, d80, secondhand d70. end up, NO ONE GAINS, other than the post count on everyone's counter going up.

when asking about prosumer, then people will just quarrel about pros and cons of the prosumer choices listed. then others will come in and say WHY NOT BUY DSLR, NOW CHEAP CHEAP, ignoring the fact that prosumers have pros (as well as cons) over dslrs. it's the same old story over and over again and i suppose, on my next birthday when i blow out the candles i will make a wish that clubsnappers learn this as a group eventually.

i could tell you the pros and cons of panny and sony in one shot from my viewpoint, is it going to be holistic? no! because what most people are pushing here is based on what they read on dpreview and imaging resource. do you think everyone has the time and money to actually try out both prosumers? absolutely not. in fact, i have already listed down the pros and cons of the 2 brands in terms of prosumer in my prosumer thread, which happens to be stickied and still relevant. i'm always wondering what the use of stickies are, but i think and tell myself, so long as a sticky has a chance of stopping someone from posting up YET ANOTHER THREAD on such matters, it has served its purpose.

UNLIKE LOTR, THERE IS NO ONE RING TO RULE THEM ALL. BUT, THERE IS A CAMERA THAT WILL WORK FOR YOU, BECAUSE YOU ARE WILLING TO ACCEPT THE COMPROMISES. and yes, every bloody camera has a compromise, even if you are paying $100,00000000 for it. as of today. 2000 years down the road? i won't be too sure then. but i am sure of this today.

so please, make use of sites like IMAGING RESOURCE, DPREVIEW. They are theoretically going to offer you a much more balanced view of the camera choices you are asking, and will not tell you to buy DSLR if you are asking about prosumers. Everyone just loves pushing their brands.Even I do it sometimes too. STANDARD ADVICE ONCE AGAIN : GO DOWN TO THE SHOPS AND FEEL THE CAMERA, THEY WILL NOT STOP YOU FROM TOUCHING CAMERAS. you can even bring your sd cards to shoot and all that. and review the shots at home, if the sample pictures from imaging resource and dpreview are not solid enough for you.

because asking here, frankly, imho, does not help. you will never ever get a solid answer, just a mixture of feedbacks which will confuse you further, and in some cases you end up from asking about a p&s to buying a dslr. which is really stupid, because it means that you have no idea what you are doing and what you want out of life/photography. which makes it really sad as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.